You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to uninstall?!?

I have been trying to uninstall Affinity Photo Beta - there does not appear to be an uninstall file created in the directory, nor can I uninstall from Control Panel I get the following message:

'Error opening the installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable.'

How do I go about uninstalling this programme should I want to please?

I am running Windows 7 X64 (all updated)

Thank you,

Simon Williams

Have you manually deleted some files from the folder? (that could bring issues)

Maybe installing again, and then try an uninstall (but from Windows control panel, not from the folder)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

I see. Just to be very in the same page :

When i said control panel, I meant clicking on the icon "Programs and Features". Then, look in the list of software that shows up, in the beginning where it would show up in the list "Affinity Photo beta". Then just double click it to uninstall.

Please my apologies is this is super basic for you, but one never knows the user expertise with little data.  If you already did so, something got messed in the installation, somehow. If you were just looking directly for an uninstall icon, directly in Control Panel, please do now as I explained in this post, see if it removes it.  :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

No problem SrPx, I understood you fine. The programme shows in CP but when clicked on shows the error message as stated in my first post. 

I've not had this before in general with Serif software being a long term user so I am a little disappointed I'm having this problem.

Any ideas on a manual uninstall anyone?

• Staff

Hey magichmmm,

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble. Can you try running this Microsoft uninstall tool to see if that helps at all.

We aren't entirely sure why you are getting this message as I don't believe it is one of ours. If that doesn't help, let me know so I can update the install engineer. 

Thanks 

" Error opening the installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable "

I would automatically have looked into the folder where A. photo had ben installed, check if there's a log file and somehow go protected against writing by seeing the file properties. Or if is there a log file at all or got deleted. Other than that, the right path is wait to what just was posted above and that they tell you the next step.  

Sometimes in Windows, if some file gets to be used by one app, another can't use it at the same time, for example, an uninstaller. But in that case I have zero clues of what happens. They will tell you, in any case.   :)

Chris B - many thanks I've downloaded and run the trouble shooter and that seems to have done the trick. I am not sure why the uninstaller was not installed at the same time. Can this be flagged up for looking at please?

Thanks again.

Simon

No problem SrPx, I understood you fine. The programme shows in CP but when clicked on shows the error message as stated in my first post. 

I've not had this before in general with Serif software being a long term user so I am a little disappointed I'm having this problem.

Any ideas on a manual uninstall anyone?

I couldn't reproduce this allegedly Microsoft Installer problem by enable logging and afterwards deleting the missing MSI*logs, but you should try like here is described with the LoggingOn.reg to switch logging ON (since we don't know in which state the MSI-logging is on your computer).

Than you install AFP again, so that logs should be written. Before that make sure %temp% is writeable (usually it's c:\users\<your_login_name>\appdata\local\temp but you could have changed this)

Since the MSI*.log -which is allegedly was missing- should have been written now, you should be able to uninstall. If still no joy, switch logging off like told on the site and try again.

If this also not helps, you IMHO only can delete all Affinity Photo folders and clean up registry.

regards,

Ablichter

• Staff

Chris B - many thanks I've downloaded and run the trouble shooter and that seems to have done the trick. I am not sure why the uninstaller was not installed at the same time. Can this be flagged up for looking at please?

Thanks again.

Simon

Hey Simon, I think as we weren't overly sure what the cause and fix is (without the MS tool) we probably should look into it a bit more. Thanks for letting me know it worked, I'll update the install engineer and let him know too :) 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.