You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I add a new pixel layer I want it at the top of the layer list!

I searched for add layer, new layer and layer new and found no answer.

When I add a new pixel layer I want it at the top of the layer list!

I don't want it to go into the layer group that is already there.

I want it as a separate layer at the top how do I do it?

post-12456-0-46111400-1480218350_thumb.jpg

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Behaviour seems to be that new layer always appears next up the current active layer. So, if you have a layer group and you want new layer on the top of that group, you must not have a layer in that group active but you have to select layer group first -- then new layer appears next up to that group.

In AD, if you want a new pixel layer to appear at the top of the layer panel & some layer other than the top one is currently selected, just tap the escape key to deselect it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Sorry I should have said I was using Photo on a MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012 15 in.  OS X 10.11.6, 

I select the layer.

I select the add pixel layer.

It goes into the Templates folder I don’t want it there I want it at the top of the layers.

This happens selected or not!

post-12456-0-40213700-1480266384_thumb.jpg

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Behaviour seems to be that new layer always appears next up the current active layer. So, if you have a layer group and you want new layer on the top of that group, you must not have a layer in that group active but you have to select layer group first -- then new layer appears next up to that group.

Photo does not seem to understand this or ... I don't.

I don't understand. In your screen shot, the Templates layer is selected, so as previously mentioned, the new pixel layer is added to the top of that layer.

Try hitting the escape key to deselect the Templates layer, then click the add pixel layer button. Is the new pixel layer not added to the top of the layers panel if you do this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No after hitting the escape key there is still a fine blue line under the templates Layer, also stays there if I select Select from the menu bar   and deselect all. Still have a thin blue line under the Templates layer. 

post-12456-0-01608800-1480273904_thumb.jpg

OK, this file does not behave as it should -- there is some bug somewhere in program. Possibly it is related to fact that layer type is marked "layer" when it is really a "group" (I don't know if this should be possible). Maybe someone can tell how to fix it.

It is possible to get around problem by creating a new layer (inside group) and drag it out of group. After that new layers appear normally (like layers use that dragged layer as new reference).

OK, this file does not behave as it should -- there is some bug somewhere in program. Possibly it is related to fact that layer type is marked "layer" when it is really a "group" (I don't know if this should be possible). Maybe someone can tell how to fix it.

I did not download the file because of its size, but I did notice from the second screen shot that the Template was marked "layer" & that it includes embedded sublayers. I suspect the embedded layers are somehow part of the problem but I am not sure how. Maybe expanding the Template layer to see what is still selected (in the screen shot) would reveal more about what is going on?

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Thanks for the file uncle808us.

This is because the layer on top was created in Affinity Designer. You can't deselect it in Affinity Photo like regular Pixel layers so all new layers you create will end up inside that layer.

To prevent this simply drag all layers inside the main layer to outside it. You can then add new layers to the top of the hierarchy. 

I did not download the file because of its size, but I did notice from the second screen shot that the Template was marked "layer" & that it includes embedded sublayers. I suspect the embedded layers are somehow part of the problem but I am not sure how. Maybe expanding the Template layer to see what is still selected (in the screen shot) would reveal more about what is going on?

I thought of this and changed all embedded layers to pixel, same result. I also made sure nothing in the grouped layer was selected.same result.

Thanks.

So does MEB's suggestion work for you or not?

Affinity Photo 

This is because the layer on top was created in Affinity Designer. You can't deselect it in Affinity Photo like regular Pixel layers so all new layers you create will end up inside that layer.

To prevent this simply drag all layers inside the main layer to outside it. You can then add new layers to the top of the hierarchy. 

Thank you I will be on the look out for this. And yes that fixed it.

It is possible to get around problem by creating a new layer (inside group) and drag it out of group. After that new layers appear normally (like layers use that dragged layer as new reference).

@Fixx you were on the right trail see Meb's Post as for Meb thanks that fixed it. I will be aware of this in the future.

@Meb: There is a problem with this I have a large file that has very many layers (grouped) and layers within layers that were made in Designer that I now want in Photo. This would be very difficult (confusing) to drag out and regroup each one. So It will work in Photo. Any ideas on this problem.