You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Screen Capture

Windows 10 includes an utility to capture the screen called Snipping Tool.

The Snipping Tool has been available since Windows Vista. A newer and more feature-filled alternative is Snip, from Microsoft Garage.

For what it's worth, I find the screen capture 'facility' in PhotoPlus to be very clunky, and I never use it. I know that many other PhotoPlus users feel the same way.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

IrfanView, an amazing and fast viewer, has a nice capture utility. (allows timed capturing, include mouse cursors(great for tuts), and several other useful things)
Active Presenter is an amazing tutorial and general learning free (commercial version available, free very capable)  screen capture tool, although it captures video, not single frames (but you access to the moving captured in a timeline, so can strip any of those screens later). It has a surprising performance in capturing, resulting in quite good capture even in old machines like mine (arcane i7).
If your captures are happening in the browser only, the free Fireshot has this amazing feature of capturing an entire site, I mean, all scrolling content out of the screen, too. I believe I've used it in Firefox and Chrome (I use both browsers) , but support several others. Is not only an extension's icon in your browser top bar, It has also a small capture edit utility that comes handy, too.

I know a pair of super featured commercial screen capturers, but imo, with the above (even with only one of them) I never needed anything else...

Well, of course, I left the best for the final recommendation, it's very recent, top tech, but in case you are after real flexibility, then you should at least try it :

post-31469-0-23533600-1480206551_thumb.jpg

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Nice tips SrPx.

A couple more:

bandicam, the free version has the watermark, but other than that it's another great screen video recorder.

licecap, nice little utility that saves an animated gif, very useful for quickies

+1 for the print screen, which I often use with the ALT combo in order to capture only the selected window.

And for OneNote users, WIN+SHIFT+S to select the area and capture.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

licecap, nice little utility that saves an animated gif, very useful for quickies

Liked this little tiny thing. Sure, nothing to compete with strong video recorders, but can be useful.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

In SnowQueen's defence, Picasa is available from picasa.google.co.uk but not from picasa.google.com.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.