Seanh

Gradients convert to raster

Hi, 

I don't know whether this is a bug or just a limitation (i'm assuming a bug), but for some reason, anything with a gradient - a shape or text, converts to raster when exported to PDF. 

Unless of course there is some weird setting somewhere that I have unintentionally enabled that bizarrely turns anything with a gradient into a raster graphic. :P

Thanks.

Gradients can, depending upon the type of gradient, hit a PDF as vector. It also can depend upont he PDF type one is exporting.

Do you have a sample file you can upload?

Gradients can, depending upon the type of gradient, hit a PDF as vector. It also can depend upont he PDF type one is exporting.

Do you have a sample file you can upload?

Here is the file. Thanks. http://uk-afloat.co.uk/affinity/picnic.afdesign  Bare in mind - You'll be missing one of the fonts, so it may look a little weird for you

Here is the PDF - http://uk-afloat.co.uk/affinity/Daymenu-Alvechurch.pdf 

AD has issues with multiple stop gradients. You can use the gradient swatch for the top text (same colors as per the swoosh element). That will make that text export as text with the gradient fill. Then do the same with the other gradient text items.

The document headline has a slight rotation I would remove as well.

AD has issues with multiple stop gradients. You can use the gradient swatch for the top text (same colors as per the swoosh element). That will make that text export as text with the gradient fill. Then do the same with the other gradient text items.

Thanks but it doesn't work. I have removed the gradients all together as I haven't got time to be messing about trying to correct software limitations. I sort of don't see the point in offering a gradient feature in a vector programme when it doesn't actually work when you export for print PDF.  :P

While we're on the subject of minor amendments, "Extra's" shouldn't have an apostrophe and "Greated"  (carrot, in the veggie platter) shouldn't have an "e" before the "a".

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

While we're on the subject of minor amendments, "Extra's" shouldn't have an apostrophe and "Greated"  (carrot, in the veggie platter) shouldn't have an "e" before the "a".

Heh, thanks. I find that no matter how many times I proof read, I do end up missing errors.

While we're on the subject of minor amendments, ...

I don't consider AD's lack of being able to set gradients the way I want them and have those gradients hit a PDF as vector a minor amendment.

Oh, you likely meant the changes were minor. Even so, not so much else Sean wouldn't have needed to post about the issue.

Serif needs to get this type of thing (and a host of other things) rectified.

Here's a sample that does work. I use PDF/X-4, but any type should work with the exception of the webby stuff.

Also, instead of adding a white rectangle for a background, consider going to document settings, then Color and uncheck Transparent background.

Mike

Thanks. The background thing is just my weird habbits...

Now, with the gradients.. What are you doing differently to me? I select the 'swoosh' (curve) - Click on the colour, and select gradient, and just assign two colours at each end. 

Like so..

Untitled.jpg

The swooshes export as vector. It is the gradient text that exports as a bitmap.

But for me, the swoosh and the text export as bitmap. 

I suspect it does for other PDF/X types, too, as well as simply using a high Acrobat PDF compatibility setting. But I didn't try your specific file with the other types.

I suspect it does for other PDF/X types, too, as well as simply using a high Acrobat PDF compatibility setting. But I didn't try your specific file with the other types.

Cool. Thanks for your help.

I don't consider AD's lack of being able to set gradients the way I want them and have those gradients hit a PDF as vector a minor amendment.

Neither do I, Mike! I was referring to your comment (which I quoted) about the document headline having a slight rotation which needed removing.

Anyway, it looks as though you've told Sean what he needed to get it sorted.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)