You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change the form of a rectangular or ellipsoid selection

Hi

I have to point that I struggle with the same problem in Photoshop:

When I do a rectangular or ellipsoid selection and then releasing the Mouse-button, I can find no way to change the shape of the selection, I can only move it around.

Is there an easy way to do this.

for example, in GIMP, it is possible by selecting the corner of a selection, and also in Lightroom, the radial filter has points to strech and rotate it.

I would like to have the same behaviour as the radial filter in Lightroom, because this is completely intuitive.

Greetings

Thorsten

As alternative methods, you could do vector shapes  (rectangles, circles, polygon lasso, etc) , make it and transform it as many times as wished by handling the transform handlers, then hti ctrl + shift + o   to make it become a selection. Or even have a preferred other shortcut configured for the Select menu option called "selection from layer". (indeed, you could manually go to the menu, is just slower)

Or, for other types of selection modifications use the modifier keys, ALT for subtract from selection, or LMB and RMB drag to add to selection.

And a third way to modify selection, not the pixels, hit "q" key to enter quick mask mode, modify your mask as you wish, with pixel tools or even painting, and then q to get back to normal.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, but I thought that I would get a mail when there is an answer to this topic - so maybe I have the wrong settings.

However, I still did not found the solution, using the German verson of Affinity (now the official one).

I found the solution in Photoshop, which is  Selection -> Transform selection (Auswahl -> Auswahl transformieren).

This one I'm searching in Affinity

Greetings

Thorsten

Sorry for the late reply, but I thought that I would get a mail when there is an answer to this topic - so maybe I have the wrong settings.

I don't think you get an email unless you 'follow' the topic. You can change your settings here: Notification Preferences.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

voronwe,

Simply select your shape on the canvas, then move your mouse to one of the circles which appear all around your shape, then simply click and drag to resize (or rotate).

Holding down shift will constrain the proportions.

Hope that helps.

High-End Photographic Prints

I think I got it now:

That is how it worked for me:

1) Make a new layer (empty pixel)

2)Make a ellipse selection in this layer

3) go to the Move-Icon , select the selection (here I can transform iz (thank you DesignMeister)

4) select background as active layer

5) Make a now layer with a mask out of the selection

Thanks to all for help

I think I got it now: That is how it worked for me: 1) Make a new layer (empty pixel) 2)Make a ellipse selection in this layer 3) go to the Move-Icon , select the selection (here I can transform iz (thank you DesignMeister) 4) select background as active layer 5) Make a now layer with a mask out of the selection Thanks to all for help

Hi voronwe,

there is another way to transform a selection:

1) Make rectangular or circular selection with the Marquee Tool.

2) Hit 'q' and turn on quickmask. Everything not selected is covered by a ruby overlay.

3) Hit 'v' to switch to the Move Tool.

Now you can transform the selection in any way you know from vector shapes.

I hope this helps.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.