You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Defining DPI when importing RAW files

Hi, I noticed that Affinity Photo always thinks my RAW images are 96 DPI. The only way I know that I change that is to resize it AFTER I'm done with developing the raw image. Is there any way to set a default for all my raw images to be 300 dpi while I'm importing the RAW file or do I have to always "resize" it (without resampling)?

I know it is never going to happen, but I wish every instance of "DPI" in every app, every online reference, & every new book could be changed to "PDPI" & somewhere an explanation included that it means "printer dots per inch" & has essentially zero relevance to anything else.

I realize that is an oversimplification (& that "dot" means different things in different contexts) but it would go a long way in reducing the confusion about a bit of terminology coined so long ago that "dot" & "pixel" almost always did mean the same thing. That has not been true for many decades! After all, when was the last time any of us printed anything on an old fashioned dot matrix printer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

He just wants a field to set the DPI in the develop persona to avoid the extra step of changing dpi once it's developed.

Hi andre2099,

Welcome to the forums.

See this post by MEB that covers DPI and RAW image files.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I don't think DPI belongs in the Develop persona as it relates to printing and not RAW developing, but thats just me.  :)

IMHO it's mainly not a question to which category it belongs than rather where in the workflow.

Since this is not a resample it's just assigning metadata - I rather would have it assigned (like in ACR, fixed but changeable) before I press "develop" than have to assign it again and again for every single physical output. Or there is a automation in Photo persona which assigns (an adjustable) DPI value to an image as soon it gets an image transited from Develop persona.

regards,

Ablichter

Since this is not a resample it's just assigning metadata - I rather would have it assigned (like in ACR, fixed but changeable) before I press "develop" than have to assign it again and again for every single physical output.

If you always use the same physical output device, the same device driver for it, & the default "actual size" dpi defined for that combination, then this might be useful, but I suspect most of us do not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7