You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: List of missing fonts?

How can I see a list of missing fonts in a document? When I open a psd or ai file, a dialog appears that gives me time to find the fonts before fully opening the file. When I open an AD file, a windows sometimes briefly appears that lists the font. That window does not always appear though. Where can I see a list of fonts used in the document?

This seems to be broken in the Windows versions (1.5.0.36 release and 1.5.1.41 beta). The right-hand dropdown list only shows the currently selected missing font.

As you can see from the larger screenshot, the toast that popped up when I loaded my file only lists one of the three Shelley fonts. When I select one of those three objects in the document, the font name is shown on the Context toolbar as '? Shelley', without the 'Andante BT', 'Allegro BT' or 'Volante BT' which should follow.

post-8358-0-47805500-1480508443_thumb.png

post-8358-0-77579100-1480508453_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 7 months later...
On 30/11/2016 at 0:21 PM, Alfred said:

This seems to be broken in the Windows versions (1.5.0.36 release and 1.5.1.41 beta). The right-hand dropdown list only shows the currently selected missing font.

As you can see from the larger screenshot, the toast that popped up when I loaded my file only lists one of the three Shelley fonts. When I select one of those three objects in the document, the font name is shown on the Context toolbar as '? Shelley', without the 'Andante BT', 'Allegro BT' or 'Volante BT' which should follow.

post-8358-0-47805500-1480508443_thumb.png

post-8358-0-77579100-1480508453_thumb.png

Frustrating isn't it - I thought it was just me :)

On 11/30/2016 at 6:21 AM, Alfred said:

As you can see from the larger screenshot, the toast that popped up when I loaded my file only lists one of the three Shelley fonts.

Well, at least you get toast. Mac users don't get that!  tt2.gif

More seriously, on (at least my) Mac version, the Missing Fonts item in the Character panel popup list is unusable because the same popup lists Font Book collections, but it is off by one, actually displaying the fonts in the collection one item above the selected one. I have reported this several times but I don't think I ever got a reply from a staff member indicating if it was just me or a real bug.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

Something similar is happening here. Missing font is TimesLTPro-Roman, but the missing fonts list in the Character panel indicates "? Arial", which of course is not missing. Some comments below:

1) Any tips to quickly locate the objects with the missing fonts?

2) The missing fonts warning doesn't show up if I drag the file onto AD's UI (Windows version), which is probably another bug.

3) I was able to isolate the offending object, here's the corresponding file.

4) As to the origin of the missing font, maybe some text was pasted from another document, but I can't be sure.

Missing font.afdesign

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 2:55 AM, Dave Harris said:

At the top-left of the Character panel is a control that filters the fonts lists. You can use this to list missing fonts.

Yes, I see the fonts used but when I open the document I get a message that a font is missing but I don't know where that is - I have many artboards.  

• 5 months later...

OMG also here in my most recent Mac version this necessary feature just doesn't do a thing - no list appears! Please fix that, Serif-guys ;) – we're up and ready to kick out InDesign either way when Publisher is ready, means Font Management must be fixed.

Thx,

Steph

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-05 um 11.31.58.png

• Staff

Hi rubs, fixielanes,

Currently it's not possible locate text objects with missing fonts as you discovered. These improvements may come later in an updated version. Meanwhile i suggest you create a thread in the Feature Requests section so this doesn't get lost here in the questions section.

@fixielanes,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This seems to be working correctly for me on Designer 1.6.1(latest version). Are you sure you have opened a document with missing fonts?

@fixielanes This is working for me but as MEB says only if there are missing fonts. So if you import a file with missing fonts, you must uncheck this box on import, otherwise there will not be any missing fonts.

Uncheck this.png

I think that once the file has been saved in Affinity format, that option no longer appears but you should see a popup wanrning like this one:

Doc contains missing fonts warning.png

If you want, you can test this with my Missing font.afdesign file. If there is no "MyriadPro-SemiboldCond" font installed on your system with that exact name, you should see the notice & the Character panel > Missing Fonts list should show it.

Edited by R C-R
Replaced missing text that somehow was deleted when I saved the reply.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi rubs, fixielanes,

Currently it's not possible locate text objects with missing fonts as you discovered. These improvements may come later in an updated version. Meanwhile i suggest you create a thread in the Feature Requests section so this doesn't get lost here in the questions section.

Done.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:45 AM, R C-R said:

More seriously, on (at least my) Mac version, the Missing Fonts item in the Character panel popup list is unusable because the same popup lists Font Book collections, but it is off by one, actually displaying the fonts in the collection one item above the selected one. I have reported this several times but I don't think I ever got a reply from a staff member indicating if it was just me or a real bug.

This problem has taken a turn for the worse with 1.6.1 & High Sierra for me. While the Missing Fonts item works fine now, when I try to display the Font Book "Favorites" collection in the Character panel, Affinity Designer immediately crashes. Selecting the other Font Book collections like Web or Fixed Width don't crash AD but they are still not displaying the correct Font Book collection.

My Font Book Favorites Collection:

5a9d4462951ac_FontBookFavorites.png.fce11f55f96e163945734a1932295479.png

My Font Book Web Collection vs. what AD shows:

5a9d449f8f02a_FontBookWeb.png.a714672170cad59254d26897185b6f9f.png  Web.png.3586ba1ed16ddb514ee790938758f6b7.png

My Font Book Fixed Width Smart Collection vs. what AD shows:

5a9d4595180a9_FontBookFixedwidth.png.748dedd7a2cf1d39bda4709daa8becc5.png  5a9d45bbd085a_fixedwidth.png.4c90c9143c1a1acccd9af692237b390b.png

Affinity Photo 

30 minutes ago, rubs said:

Thanks, but I'm not sure the Windows version displays this dialog. (Maybe I'm missing something in Preferences, not sure.) Also, the issue is about locating the offending objects after the document is loaded.

@rubs I hope my post makes more sense now that I have retyped (more or less) all the text that for some reason disappeared when I originally hit the 'save' button. >:(

I don't know if it is same for Windows, but the "Replace Missing Fonts" checkmark & dialog appears when I import a file. It does not appear when I open an Affinity format file with missing fonts but the "Document contains missing fonts" notice does, like in the second screen shot. Maybe try my Missing font.afdesign file & see if you get something similar?

Affinity Photo 

I am talking about opening generic AF Designer documents. The hovering window in the right upper corner tells me, what fonts are missing, but after a few seconds its gone (it closes automatically – if it would stay there longer, I could manually open FontAgent Pro and activate whatever I need). Then I should be able to see the missing fonts in the character panel, but no overview appears. All other font classes are displayed properly.  And yes, @MEB I opened a document with missing fonts :)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-05 um 14.51.20.png

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

@rubs I hope my post makes more sense now that I have retyped (more or less) all the text that for some reason disappeared when I originally hit the 'save' button. >:(

I don't know if it is same for Windows, but the "Replace Missing Fonts" checkmark & dialog appears when I import a file. It does not appear when I open an Affinity format file with missing fonts but the "Document contains missing fonts" notice does, like in the second screen shot. Maybe try my Missing font.afdesign file & see if you get something similar?

Now it makes sense, the replace option is for imported files only. So there are no differences in Windows, just forget it. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, fixielanes said:

Then I should be able to see the missing fonts in the character panel, but no overview appears.

So are you saying that if you click the downward facing triangle on the right when "Missing Fonts" is selected from the list, you do not see a list of the missing font(s) pop up? Is it the same if you try opening my Missing font.afdesign file on your Mac?

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, rubs said:

Now it makes sense, the replace option is for imported files only. So there are no differences in Windows, just forget it. Thanks.

It doesn't make much sense to me! I can't see why the option to replace missing fonts shouldn't also be available for native files.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

It doesn't make much sense to me! I can't see why the option to replace missing fonts shouldn't also be available for native files.

I suppose their thinking was missing fonts would only be an issue for imported files, so if the option to replace them was not used on import, that was the intent & users would not want to keep seeing that option again whenever they opened the file after it was saved to the native format ... or something. O.o

But it doesn't make much sense to me either, or for that matter the differences being reported for Font Book collection integration on the Mac version.

Affinity Photo 

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So are you saying that if you click the downward facing triangle on the right when "Missing Fonts" is selected from the list, you do not see a list of the missing font(s) pop up? Is it the same if you try opening my Missing font.afdesign file on your Mac?

Yes @R C-R, nothing happens when clicking the triangle while the missing font option is selected. I've downloaded the missing fonts.afdesign file, but what should this file do? I open it and get this:

This font is named "MyriadPro-SemiboldCond"

There is no font on my system with that exact name match.

It is listed as a Missing Font in the Character panel."

5 minutes ago, fixielanes said:

I've downloaded the missing fonts.afdesign file, but what should this file do?

As its text implies, I hoped it would be listed as a missing font in the Character panel for you, as it is for me. I do not know why it is not for you, but there definitely seems to be something weird going on with the integration of fonts installed on Macs & Affinity's Character panel for both of us, even if it is not the same thing. :(

Maybe it has something to do with the macOS version in use (I use High Sierra), or with the presence of an alternate font manager besides Font Book (which is all I use) but those are just guesses. 

Affinity Photo 

• 1 month later...
On 05/03/2018 at 2:57 PM, fixielanes said:

I am talking about opening generic AF Designer documents. The hovering window in the right upper corner tells me, what fonts are missing, but after a few seconds its gone (it closes automatically – if it would stay there longer, I could manually open FontAgent Pro and activate whatever I need). Then I should be able to see the missing fonts in the character panel, but no overview appears. All other font classes are displayed properly.  And yes, @MEB I opened a document with missing fonts :)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-05 um 14.51.20.png

Hey guys, just to put in my two penny worth.

Exactly the problem! There's a great demand for a permanent list or palette displaying any missing fonts if there are any.

Currently I've got a Designer-document with six different fonts which I disable between projects that distributed over several segments.
If I open the document later on I get the prompt in the upper right corner wich disappears after a just a couple of seconds
as already mentioned several times.

I would need to open the document several time or take a screenshot in order to see and activate missing fonts.

Although there is a Missing Fonts option in the Characters palette at the bottom of the first drop-down, it does not work reliably for me at all.
Some fonts are displayed to me after I come across and select the text segment that's been formatted with the missing font. Other fonts 
apparently get replaced with already activated fonts automatically – who thought this would be a good idea?
This creates more trouble than it tries to solve.

Sorry if I'm harsh, but I've got to say that's a pretty useless feature if you ask me – what kind of solution is this supposed to be?
Especially (professional) graphic artist and designers (maybe switching from Adobe products) don't leave the font replacement to a program by chance!
Full control or at least a notification or replacement dialogue before anything gets randomly replaced would be a better solution.

I also get this relating error working on an Mac: After activating missing fonts with the document already opened only some fonts get replaced, others stay a generic system font.

Hopefully some of this makes it into a future update or get fixed.

Greetings and thanks,
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 6 months later...

Been bitten by this bug all of a sudden. Font where there and then they were not :(. We for sure need a font search and replace. We need freehand level search and replace in Designer, this would be another standout feature for it.

I need to try and trouble shoot a document that open fine in Photo and every other app on my system.

I have high hopes for the next update, since we've gotten iPad apps and publisher ... but I need this app to not suck productivity away.

Thanks