herbz

Image brush, Affinity Designer

Hi,

Does anyone know of a tutorial around on creating image brushes?... One similar to the preset clothing zipper brush?

I.e. as in the image supplied.

I've had a hunt around for some help on this but no joy finding anything.

Cheers guys,

post-38340-0-18277600-1480117508_thumb.png

Armed with a suitable PNG image on a transparent background, such as the attached 'Banner.png', follow these steps:

1. Go to the Brushes panel and click on the menu button in the top right-hand corner

post-8358-0-01931600-1480152886_thumb.png

2. Choose the option 'New Textured Image Brush' from the bottom of the list and browse to the image file that you want to use

post-8358-0-58865900-1480152918_thumb.png

3. Double-click the new brush to display the 'Brush - Editing' dialog

post-8358-0-12744700-1480153088_thumb.png

4. Adjust the stroke settings as desired, move the head and tail offsets to mark off the body section, and choose whether you want the body to stretch or repeat.

post-8358-0-62630500-1480153250_thumb.png

5. Press 'OK' to close the dialog, and then test your new brush.

post-8358-0-59235300-1480152872_thumb.png

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

You're welcome, Herbz. Post back to let me know how you got on, especially if you run into any problems (but I like to hear success stories, too).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

We're all waiting for Alfred to make a tutorial video on brush creation :)

High-End Photographic Prints

On 31/12/2016 at 10:27 AM, DesignMeister said:

We're all waiting for Alfred to make a tutorial video on brush creation :)

I think you may be waiting for quite some time! xD

Alfred online2long.gif

Come on - you can do it!

High-End Photographic Prints

On 31/12/2016 at 8:33 PM, DesignMeister said:

Come on - you can do it!

rotfl.gif

Alfred online2long.gif

Am I right to assume these custom image brushes are bitmap based, so when you enlarge the brush you get a blocky resolution, as opposed to vector brushes?
Adobe Illustrator has a similar create brush function, but isn't that vector based image brushes which do not lose any resolution?
I'm a bit confused in how you retain the resolution of these image brushes if you increase the size of them.

Hi Kiarian,

Yes, these brushes are based on raster images/textures and will lose quality if you enlarge them. Currently Affinity Designer doesn't yet support pure vector brushes based on vector objects as Illustrator. This is an improvement that will come later in a future version.

I cannot believe how easy this was.  I have spent hours looking for brushes to download, and could have spent a small fortune buying the ones I liked.  I really thought that making my own would be way too hard for me, as I have very little skill on the digital front.  However, I came across this piece, quite by chance, and decided to give it a go.   WOW.  Totally a doddle.  Thank you.

Now I'm playing with the brush I created though, I've noticed that it isn't allowing me to change the colour.  All the other brushes are working properly, so unsure as to why.  Any tips for a newbie?

9 minutes ago, Jumblemania said:

Now I'm playing with the brush I created though, I've noticed that it isn't allowing me to change the colour.  All the other brushes are working properly, so unsure as to why.  Any tips for a newbie?

As I understand it (from the Help), an Image brush uses the colors of the image. If you want to be able to change the colors, I think you need to create an Intensity brush, instead.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

30 minutes ago, Jumblemania said:

I admit to being baffled

Please don’t be baffled! As Walt said, an Image brush uses the colours of the image; an Intensity brush, on the other hand, uses the variations in the intensity of the image as an opacity map.

Alfred online2long.gif

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Please don’t be baffled! As Walt said, an Image brush uses the colours of the image; an Intensity brush, on the other hand, uses the variations in the intensity of the image as an opacity map.

But when i create a image brush which is not pure black or white the stroke color can be changed 

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

4 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

But when i create a image brush which is not pure black or white the stroke color can be changed 

It’s the same for me. I wonder whether @Jumblemania was trying to recolour an image brush which had no greyscale content.

Alfred online2long.gif