You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Wrap text around an object?

I don't find a way to wrap text around an object. This seems to be a really basic functionality which is missing from AD. This is a bummer, especially when Serif Draw was had that feature. Note that Serif Draw also had a "sister" DTP program, so I don't see why AD can't get it due to APub.

Frame Text wraps automatically at the edges of the frame. You can make a text frame any shape you like.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Frame Text wraps automatically at the edges of the frame. You can make a text frame any shape you like.

Which is good and ridiculous all at the same time...

I need to constantly remind myself that Serif and I don't necessarily see eye to eye on the need for AD to have text wrap.

Which is good and ridiculous all at the same time...

+1! :D

I need to constantly remind myself that Serif and I don't necessarily see eye to eye on the need for AD to have text wrap.

Me too. :(

Alfred spacer.png

I don't find a way to wrap text around an object. This seems to be a really basic functionality which is missing from AD. This is a bummer, especially when Serif Draw was had that feature. Note that Serif Draw also had a "sister" DTP program, so I don't see why AD can't get it due to APub.

Every user thinks that what (s)he needs is just basic functionality and very easy to put in some app. But:

text wrap

text/para styles

pages...

are not basic functionality neither for AD, nor for APh. They will be part of APub which is on its way in near future. I hope they will be moved (not copied) into APub.  :rolleyes:

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Basic functionality term may depend on person however i am thinking if you make a competitor to some famous apps you should give users more stuffs to make them use your app.

I beleive there are lots of people like me in search of new software to use in their professional routine.

Each new app requires a learning curve and while you are in deadlines it's risky to give a new app a shot. It's always comfortable to work with familiar things right?

For me i can say i am kind of expert in coreldraw which means i can easily accomplish all my tasks with it because i an familiar. However there are some situations push me to search something new. I know there are adobe users in same situation.

We are not hobbyists, we are not newbies who want to start their career with a software.

So in our situation we are (kindly) looking for stuffs we are familiar with or things that save our time with one click instead of 5 steps.

I personally agree that it os not possible to find every single thing in our familiar app however there are some daily used things which are really important to have them.

And our feedbacks or requests are really important not because WE are important personally but WE are people who are in search which means not satisfied anymore with our current tools. It could be a tip for developers about what to care.

And AD is new to windows so there are and will be many people like me as new comers to your (mac users)society.

We are kindly ask your patience for a time.

Before opening a topic or ask a question i use forum search but i am not sure it works efficiently. Then i try google to find proper subjects /answers but again it is not ok all the time.

So i will again ask you guys, not you personally, to be a bit patient about us.

And yes this is something i use often personally.

Cheers all of you.

Win 10 Home - 64 Bit on Asus X55A (original specs except SSD)

Sorry, but the workaround is really just a workaround: when designing something with text and images there is a really big chance that I want to move either the image or the text. Both means i have to redo the workaround, costing a lot of productivity. @Petar_mk, please note that the product is called Affinity Designer and not Affinity Vectordrawing. Adjusting text flow around objects is a basic part of design print or web work. If they really need text wrap as a killer feature for APub i would be quite disappointed. You don't give DTP-programs their credit, the amount of additional functional needed for one in comparison to Ad is quite huge, so APub will have its worth even when text wrap is in AD or not.

It is the same for Mac or Windows users, & for professionals or hobbyists -- we all think of certain things as "basic functionality." The problem is there is very little agreement about what is "basic" & what is not.

Since day one the Affinity forums have seen numerous posts from all kinds of users who complain about AD lacking something they think of as basic functionality, including just about anything any other graphics app they use offers, whether or not it is basic to the description of AD as a type of "precise vector graphic design software." This includes functions usually associated with photo retouching, animation, page layout, 3D modeling, & web site authoring apps. Most of them cost several times what AD does; many require a subscription or an endless cycle of paid upgrades to remain compatible with OS revisions or eliminate existing bugs.

By itself, AD is not intended to be a competitor to all these other apps, "famous" or not. The idea is there is a demand for lightweight, highly responsive, inexpensive apps that can do a limited number of things very well, & can be used in combination with other apps (whether from the same company or not) to improve workflows for many but not all users. If you are looking for something else, you may not be one of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Unlike all the features you listed, text wrapping is commonly found in vector drawing programs (See Serif Draw).  Also unlike all the features you have listed, the absence of text wrapping seems to be a issue of a lot of AD users: Link! To quote the page you linked:

Affinity Designer is the fastest, smoothest, most precise vector graphic design software available. Whether you’re working on branding, concept art, print projects, icons, UI, UX, or web mock ups, Affinity Designer will revolutionise how you work, on macOS and Windows.

The bolted words are projects where text wrapping is really useful or even necessary. Also, if I understand your opinion correctly, you think I need a full fledged DTP program to design a single poster with some text on it? Sorry, than I am disagreeing. Btw, I really like AD, I bought it even just because it really cool (and cheap). And with text wrapping included, many people, including me, would be much happier.

Sorry, but the workaround is really just a workaround: when designing something with text and images there is a really big chance that I want to move either the image or the text. Both means i have to redo the workaround, costing a lot of productivity. @Petar_mk, please note that the product is called Affinity Designer and not Affinity Vectordrawing. Adjusting text flow around objects is a basic part of design print or web work. If they really need text wrap as a killer feature for APub i would be quite disappointed. You don't give DTP-programs their credit, the amount of additional functional needed for one in comparison to Ad is quite huge, so APub will have its worth even when text wrap is in AD or not.

Well, IMO the name "Designer" is not apropriate for this app. Serif team should named them by their famous Plus family: ADraw, APhoto and APage. "Designer" is much more apropriate fot all-in-one app and ADraw should deal strictly with vectors, APhoto with bitmaps, APage with all the rest. First two need only "artistc text" feature, not styles...

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Reality check: anybody buying an app based on its name rather than its features is unlikely to be happy with what they get.

Is this somehow not totally obvious to everyone who has been buying & using computer apps for long???  :unsure:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It is the same for Mac or Windows users, & for professionals or hobbyists -- we all think of certain things as "basic functionality." The problem is there is very little agreement about what is "basic" & what is not...

Why even have text capabilities if it isn't going to have typical text handling capabilities then? Or, why end up putting page capabilities in AD if one cannot deal with typical text features? 

I understand what you are writing, and gawd knows I don't want these applications to become an everything to everyone applications.

Some healthy searching about text linking, wrapping, etc., probably shows just how many people expect these "basic" text handling amenities.

I believe that there isn't a final decision as regards text linking (at least made public). I should hope this issue of text wrapping is also in that state of limbo. If not, there are other applications that handily do so.

Why even have text capabilities if it isn't going to have typical text handling capabilities then?

Typical for what? AD was never intended to be a publishing app & isn't advertised as such, so why should anyone expect it to have text handling features typical of that type of application?

The reason it has the text capabilities it does should be obvious: it would be ludicrous to offer an app touted as intended for UI design or web page mockups without them.

Affinity Photo 

Folks, we should discuss this in manner of brainstorm not argument.

R C-R, sorry dude but if this is a design software and 'print ready works' are one of their sell point it's not OK to ignore text management capabilities.

And also you guys may consider our thoughts as reviews and a gateway to have more users like us instead of complains.

I work mostly on print press, if my customer asks for 21mm x 50mm leaflet with long text in it i can't say "sorry dude but i have to charge you more than regular because my new toll / software is not allowing easy control on text." right? 

"Reality check: anybody buying an app based on its name rather than its features is unlikely to be happy with what they get." Seriously? Are you really thinking me or others are.. nevermind. You may right about something so please show us why you think like that don't make fun of people.

It's not something about price by the way, someone mentioned it. "Price is fair than other apps who can manage those request" is not something Serif would think i suppose. Even APub will given free of charge it is not good or even OK to edit texts on that and go back to add an icon on AD then go back other app to give wrap and make this a routine.

Again, these are suggestions not complains. I am loving AD each day and wondering what will happen at the end.

Affinity Designer is the fastest, smoothest, most precise vector graphic design software available. Whether you’re working on branding, concept art, print projects, icons, UI, UX, or web mock ups, Affinity Designer will revolutionise how you work, on macOS and Windows.

Reality check: anybody buying an app based on its name rather than its features is unlikely to be happy with what they get.

Is this somehow not totally obvious to everyone who has been buying & using computer apps for long???  :unsure:

Typical for what? AD was never intended to be a publishing app & isn't advertised as such, so why should anyone expect it to have text handling features typical of that type of application?

The reason it has the text capabilities it does should be obvious: it would be ludicrous to offer an app touted as intended for UI design or web page mockups without them.

Win 10 Home - 64 Bit on Asus X55A (original specs except SSD)

Unlike all the features you listed, text wrapping is commonly found in vector drawing programs (See Serif Draw). 

Well, it kinda has to be, because if it isn't you are stuck.

With Affinity, if you are working in Designer and you need a feature from Publisher, you can click the Edit in Publisher option and continue two seconds later. Or rather, you will be able to when we release Publisher. Having all the Affinity apps share a common file format mean you can switch easily between the different apps, which means it is less important which tools are in which app. A lot of the pain you are suffering at the moment is because our suite isn't yet complete. When it is, I hope our choices will seem more reasonable.

Well, it kinda has to be, because if it isn't you are stuck.

With Affinity, if you are working in Designer and you need a feature from Publisher, you can click the Edit in Publisher option and continue two seconds later. Or rather, you will be able to when we release Publisher. Having all the Affinity apps share a common file format mean you can switch easily between the different apps, which means it is less important which tools are in which app. A lot of the pain you are suffering at the moment is because our suite isn't yet complete. When it is, I hope our choices will seem more reasonable.

If you follow that argument to its logical conclusion, Dave, it seems odd that you should have stated in this post that a bullet and numbered list feature will be added to Designer (and Photo) when it becomes available in Publisher. I expect I shall buy Publisher anyway, so it's unlikely to affect me personally; however, other AD users may be left wondering why bullets and numbering are being made available natively, but not text wrapping or linked frames.

Alfred spacer.png

It's not just a ui or web mock-up application though, now is it.

No, but it is not intended to be a DTP app, so I do not understand why anybody would expect it to have features typical of that kind of app. It is just one app in what will eventually be a suite of three or more apps, intended to work together to offer a larger set of tools & functionality than any of them can offer on its own.

There are advantages to this modular approach for both the company & for users. For example, users do not have to pay for a lot of functionality they do not need, or wait for the development of the code to support it, which almost certainly would have delayed the initial release of the app, perhaps for years, complicate & delay bug fixes & improvements to the existing features, & add significant complexity to the UI. As it is, it is difficult enough to find unique hot key combinations for all the existing features, or arrange & customize the toolbars & Studio panels for a comfortable & efficient working environment.

The modular approach is also much more compatible with modern virtual memory management systems, reduces the number of system resources needed to run any one of them in the foreground, & allows each of them to operate efficiently on anything from a midrange laptop to a high end desktop with very little difference in performance.

Maybe I have this wrong, but it seems to me that since Publisher is not going to be available in the immediate future quite a few people have decided Affinity should concentrate on adding its "basic" features to AD. That doesn't make any sense to be, not just because it means compromising some of the advantages of the modular approach mentioned above, but also because it means fewer people would buy Publisher when it finally is released.

Someone said it isn't about the money but of course it always is. If Affinity can't reasonably expect to make a profit from the costly process of developing another app, they would be foolish to do so. That would be in nobody's best interests, now would it?

Affinity Photo 

...There are advantages to this modular approach for both the company & for users. For example, users do not have to pay for a lot of functionality they do not need, or wait for the development of the code to support it, which almost certainly would have delayed the initial release of the app, perhaps for years, complicate & delay bug fixes & improvements to the existing features, & add significant complexity to the UI. As it is, it is difficult enough to find unique hot key combinations for all the existing features, or arrange & customize the toolbars & Studio panels for a comfortable & efficient working environment....

But, this "advantages" could be at the same time dissadvantages for somebody who does not need them at all and wondering why, for the God sake, they are implemented in that app. Just bloating the app needlessly.

But, this "advantages" could be at the same time dissadvantages for somebody who does not need them at all and wondering why, for the God sake, they are implemented in that app. Just bloating the app needlessly.

I think you may have misread R C-R's post, Petar. You're both arguing in favour of a modular approach (and therefore against needless bloat). :)

Alfred spacer.png

Or to integrate pages, or...

If you mean artboards, although you can export them to separately printable files & some file formats import pages as artboards, pages & artboards are not the same thing. (If they were, AD would probably call them "pages" instead of "artboards.")

Affinity Photo