Aammppaa

BUG: No pressure in Affinity Designer with Wacom Graphire (inc video demonstration)

Pressure sensitivity is not working for me in Affinity Designer.

It is working in other apps (tablet properties and Xara Designer demonstrated).

post-43096-0-29128300-1480081291_thumb.gif

• Clean install of Windows 7 x64
  • Affinity Designer 1.5.36 Retail
  • Wacom Graphire ET-0405-U USB
  • Driver pro620-w5 (the last official driver to support the original Graphire tablet).
  • "Pressure" is selected both within the brush and as the controller on the context toolbar

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Hello Aammppaa, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

We've had a few reports of this recently. There is another thread discussing this here. I think we need some time to look into this. Are you able to try what Onur suggested in the other post and report back? Thanks 

Done.

Still no pressure sensing regardless of when tablet is plugged in.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Huion 1060 Plus

Aammppaa,

Is it possible to uninstall tablet drivers and look if windows stock drivers will do the job? I am not saying it's ok to abondon original drivers for AffDes but if work ok then it may be easier to define problem for devs perhaps.

Win 10 Home - 64 Bit on Asus X55A (original specs except SSD)

Hi Onur, good idea but...

I uninstalled the Wacom driver, and replugged the Graphire to a different USB port.

Although Windows reports successful install of USB Input Device drivers, the pen doesn't work on the tablet... ie the pointer doesn't move, no clicks are registered.

Reinstalled original drivers and back to the original situation.

I also tried using FixMyPen ( http://viziblr.com/news/2011/8/13/fix-my-pen-makes-your-wacom-tablet-just-work-on-windows-7.html) to remove some of the Windows annoyances to see if that would help. The annoyances are gone, but no pressure detection in AD still.

Hooray,

Somehow i lost my pressure too.. Last thinks as i remember:

I was using Assorted or Basic Brush

Than i change it to Hand lettering 2 and change the brush size. Tried couple of strokes and change to DAUB Inkers.

Then i realised 'Controller' went to none automatically. Took it bake to pressure but no. Still same. Restart app, no change, restart computer and did stuffs i wrote above no. Now i don't have pressure either.

Yet i am not 100% sure about things i did until i lost pressure.

Interesting.

BTW: That black box doing nothing. I first thought that it is kind of test box but not. Image related.

post-32505-0-18574300-1480152305_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

Ok as i mentioned above i lost my pressure too. Tried unplugging, restarting app and nothing changed. 

Then i restart Windows, plug tablet, open app and it worked. 

UNLESS i try to change the brush size. Then i lost it again. Before changing size, i also changed the pressure graph but it was again working untile size change. 

BTW i beleive there is something wrong with the sizing of a brush because to take screen shot below i wrote something on it and it was really bold. Then i lowered the size slightly (couple of pt.s) and it is very thin than the previous one. Sorry i don't remember those sizes numbers.

It could be the problem perhaps?

post-32505-0-58014900-1480154543_thumb.jpg

BTW: That black box doing nothing. I first thought that it is kind of test box but not. Image related.

I too assumed it was a test box, but looking at this thread it seems to be for raster brushes...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/29696-image-brush-affinity-designer/

About to test same tablet on another machine, this time running Win10, will report back later.

OK more information...

Same tablet (Wacome Graphire)

Same driver (pro620-5w)

Different OS (Win10)

And...

Pressure sensitivity works in AD!

Will try same setup on a 2nd Windows 7 machine at some point.

I have the same issue on Win7 with a Lenovo Yoga P70, which uses Wacom Pen drivers. Will try on Win10 to see if it makes a difference, but I'd rather stick with 7 for now if possible.

Do you guys have Windows Ink enabled in your Wacom Properties? I turned mine off earlier today and I've just launched Designer to find my pressure isn't working either (It has always worked for me). I turned Windows Ink back on and I now have pressure.

The effect you are seeing is related certainly to Windows Ink, but the Wacom drivers only became aware of Windows Ink after the final released versions for many older tablets (such as Graphire and Bamboo)

Googling for something like "Windows Ink Wacom pressure sensitivity" will give you a plethora of results / complaints / issues across many platforms and products!

Googling for something like "Windows Ink Wacom pressure sensitivity" will give you a plethora of results / complaints / issues across many platforms and products!

Oh I've read my fair share of forums over the weekend on this.

We released a new beta on Friday which has supposedly included a fix for this. I've seen a few posts today which are positive so can anyone affected ensure you have the latest beta and report back? Thanks! 

ChrisB I tested my Wacom with the new beta (43) and all seemed well... didn't test for long, as I used the issue as an excuse to buy an newer, bigger, sexier tablet over the weekend!

Normally it contains the latest fixes for customers to try, so if you're having problems I would recommend it. However, in this case, we've released the beta as a patch, 1.5.1, so just update Designer and you'll get the fixes.

Hey Mark,

I do appreciate the heads-up but still no luck with the update unfortunately. How would I go submitting my specific tablet? I know Monoprice is not wacom but is more in the Huion tablets driver direction, if that matters at all.

Same here. I installed Affinity Designer 1.5.1.43 today and pressure still does not work. I bought and installed Affinity Photo today and pressure does work, so at least I've got that.

Pressure also still works with Photoshop and other software that supports it; only Designer is left out.

I've got a Lenovo Yoga P40 with Wacom Active ES touchscreen, Windows 7, Wacom drivers are up-to-date. I tried the built-in 8px pressure brush and custom pressure brushes in Designer and a custom pressure brush in Photo.

Same here. I installed Affinity Designer 1.5.1.43 today and pressure still does not work. I bought and installed Affinity Photo today and pressure does work, so at least I've got that.

That's odd if one is working but not the other... Are you running both apps up after connecting your tablet? You are definitely clicking the dropdown for Controller and selecting Pressure? 

That's odd if one is working but not the other... Are you running both apps up after connecting your tablet? You are definitely clicking the dropdown for Controller and selecting Pressure? 

There's no tablet to connect, it's an integrated Wacom Active ES touchscreen display (same tech as a Surface Pro), so I guess yes to the apps being up after connection since it's connected at boot and can't be disconnected. I've also tried closing Designer, stopping and restarting the AES service, and restarting Designer, with no effect.

I'm definitely clicking the dropdown for Controller and selecting Pressure, and I'm using default brushes with pressure sensitivity enabled as well as creating brushes and manually adding pressure sensitivity. I'm following videos about using pressure sensitivity in Designer step by step to make sure I'm not missing anything, but I'm not getting the same results.

Hello,

I am with AD 1.5.1.43 and W10 (64 bits), I have a small tablet Huion model 580 that works perfectly after putting the "controller" of the contextual toolbar on "pressure" and made the adjustments After developing the "plus" button on the same contextual toolbar. Before I did that, I could draw but without applying pressure.

Regards

post-37692-0-76077100-1481926194_thumb.png

@gguillotte - Have you got any old Wacom drivers installed, perhaps from an older tablet you may have had? I tried using a Cintiq 13 HD with some old Wacom Bamboo drivers installed and I wasn't getting pressure and it failed to interact with the UI correctly. I uninstalled the old drivers and updated the Cintiq ones and it worked perfectly. We don't have a Wacom Active in the office but the Cintiq is the same concept. 

Hey guys,

I did want to mention that the Tablet monitor that I use (Monoprice MP-22) has drivers that are incredibly hard to find. I do have copies of the .exe and .dmg from the disc provided after purchase. I can send them if this would help support in AD and AP. Let me know if that is the case.