You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to tell which brush was used

This might be a silly question, but is there a way to find out which brush was used for a particular line? Just selecting the curve's layer doesn't seem to cause the brush that was used to be automatically selected in the brush panel and with both "the box set" and "Daub Essentials" I've already got quite a few brushes and it's hard to remember which was used where.

a way to find out which brush was used for a particular line

+1 for this suggestion. We can, of course, use 'Edit > Copy' (Cmd/Ctrl+C) on an old line and then 'Edit > Paste Style' (Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+V) to apply the same brush to a new one*, but it would be nice to be able to identify the brush via the Brushes panel.

----

*You can also click on the 'Synchronize defaults from selection' icon on the toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

I use a Huion pen display drawing tablet. I can hold the tip of the pen over a brush sample (Jef Brown) and the name of the sample shows. See image (it works with a mouse too). I am making a sample sheet of what the brushes do and their names and under what section so I can find them again in the future. Not the best solution but you soon get to know what you are looking for. 

Jef Brown brushes..png

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but I got stuck and Googled for it and came here. 

After command-C and command-shift-V on my Macbook I could go to stroke (top bar), properties, duplicate. It duplicates to the folder of brushes where you are at that moment. What I did was create a new brush folder for that specific file I wanted to add to in the same style and brushes and then add the brushes again with this method, renaming them for what object or goal I used them for, for future reference. 

I hope this will help the next one looking for answers here :)

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 21.14.34.png

Edited by wbtb90

• 4 weeks later...

My short experience with Affinity Designer (iPad and Mac), the only app of it’s type I’ve ever used, already has me longing for an automated way to identify which brush was used, as well as the brush settings that were used, especially for raster brushes.  My interim solution is to name layers after the brush I used; there’s no realistic prospect I’ll remember, or guess correctly.  Of course, that only works for vector layers, and it’s rather error-prone.

Seems appropriate to acknowledge this is likely to be a non-trivial request.

Regards

• 4 months later...

Hoping to see a new and improved brush management set in the next big release of Designer.  I've used Illustrator for more years than I care to admit and have always found it useful to be able to easily pick up attributes from one line (or object) and apply it to another.  And to see what brush I used in the first place.  :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a serious issue for me. There are so many adjustments that go into brush application that replicating is almost impossible without a huge amount of trial and error. I have loved working in Affinity, but this is almost enough of a reason to use another application.

• 3 weeks later...

Have just counted through the posts above and, by my arithmetic, I can pretty confidently say that my  additional support makes me

+21,  so the next person who responds should (hopefully) say +23  ☺️

In the meantime, I have just got into the habit of having what I call a "journal" which sits on my real desktop and I note down things, which will in future, include which brush I used.  🤗

Happy New Year to all from New Zealand.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology