You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Losing function of group/ungroup

In addition to my serif program being slow to save the file, I have to click on close not once but twice. I still have issues with my move tool not working unless I open and close the file, no longer does just using the view mode snap it out of its non functioning, but now serif will not ungroup items. All appearances look like it has ungrouped, but it will not allow me to automatically select the individual items unless I double click on them first. I have always been able to double click and select of course when it is grouped for last minute fixes.  Now double clicking is my only option. The ungrouped objects remain within the confines of the move tool and you can access them separately.

My concern is this, why are these features getting worse, and I have looked at memory problems within my computer and there is plenty of space.  I started to see these changes 4 weeks ago, and I did download the latest update. There doesn't seem to be a solution for me other than hang in there and hope your progress somehow fixes this. I hope my feedback will help you in your continuing developing of this program. 

Hi Suzanne,

these are very strange issues …  :blink:

Hmm … I am not sure if I understand all of your post correctly (maybe you could create a little screen cast using the QuickTime Player app), but from what I understood, I don’t believe this is a widespread issue. Personally, I have never experienced anything that comes even close to what you are seeing.

• Are you using any third-party applications that might interfere?
  • Have you tried resetting Affinity Designer? In order to do so, open the OS X Launchpad app, hold down the Control key, click the Affinity Designer icon, and clear all your preferences through the dialog that is showing up. However, make sure to create a backup of your custom items (brushes, styles) before.
  • Have you tried installing Affinity Designer on a fresh user account on your machine? You can create a new user through System Preferences, and you can delete this user afterwards again.

Finally, macOS Sierra … personally, I was never very happy with OS X El Capitan on my older machine. Native PDF preview was broken, and there were a lot of minor annoyances. Sierra performs much better in these respects, and most of the bugs have been ironed out. So as far as I am concerned, I am glad to have upgraded to the new version.

Hope that helps in any way …  :)

Cheers, Alex

I have been trying different things for the last 24 hours - I tired factory reset, then I added another user and brought in the affinity designer as you suggested. The new affinity had the same problems. Yesterday I was dealing with not only losing two shapes, the teardrop and the heart, but I lost function of the node tool for a half hour then it restored itself. Since the last update I am able to access the group/ungroup function again.  Something is clearly wrong and I would appreciate any other thoughts you have.

Hi Suzanne,

this is definitely weird. I am really sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. I never encountered similar issues myself, and as far as I remember, I have never read about problems of this kind on the forum so far. Since you created a new user and installed Affinity Designer for this user, it seems even a clean deinstall would not have the desired effect on your current setup.

But there is another, though a bit time-consuming option. Do you have a spare external hard disk available? If so, you could perform a clean install of either OS X El Capitan or macOS Sierra on that disk, boot into the new system (hold down Option/Alt on startup), log into your App Store account, get Affinity Designer, and have a look if the issues persist.

Hope that will bring us closer to a solution …  :)

Alex

OK performed all tasks even decided to factory reset on serif and brought it up in the same way as with the new user plan we did a few days ago.  The three shapes on the bottom are still missing. If the move tool freezes and I can double click and sometimes get it to work without shutting down the file and re-entering.  So any other thoughts.

I do want to say thank you again for your help. I have been on serif products since the beginning only I was on the PC up until X8, and we always seemed to fix things eventually. I can still function as I am using primarily using the shapes that is if they don't all disappear, and even then I will just copy and paste them from one of the 50 pages I have already completed.  Eventually we will be out of the beta and everything will work out. Again thanks will keep you updated. I am also hoping that each update may correct things like the group/ungroup feature did just this week.

Hi, are you using some sort of zoom mode on Mac OS? Could it be that your window is hanging outside the edge of the zoom area or screen? The things you are listing are at the bottom of the Affinity window: Heart tool, Tear tool, Callout Ellipse tool.

Maybe try running in fullscreen mode (click green button in the top left of the window) so that the window size always matches the screen size.

No what is happening is that when I click on those bottom shapes they cannot be selected. One by one about 6 hours apart first the heart, then the tear tool, then the elliptical callout. It was methodical so I was thinking it was in the programming.  It is really odd behavior so I am hoping somehow to figure it out.  Gradually I am losing some of my functions like the move tool. When I select it there are no nodes and as you have read I have to close the file to bring it back up. Once in a while if I double click it works again. Thanks for suggesting this though, sometimes you are so close to a program you miss something simple.  A year ago I would have shapes suddenly appear on a page when I opened the file and none of us could figure that one out either. Updates seem to fix these glitches.  

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.