You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

aero not activated; no startup; 1.5.0.39

I today bought  Design and Photo and get the same error message. How can I start the programs without Aero, because this does not run on my W7 OS.

You recommend the command line --no-dwm-warning, but where do I have to use it? Where can I start the command line?

Every help is welcome, thank you!

Nope...aero is needed for Affinity in Windows 7 (indeed, in win 8 and 10 is forced, yes or yes, by the OS, as far as I know...).... Just activate it in a minimal expression, I have it so (no glass effect, no aero-peek...Only leave ON :  Desktop Composition (also, this one is key for Affinity),   Show thumbnails instead of icons,  Smooth edges of screen fonts and  Use visual styles in windows and buttons (you can't disable this one without disabling Aero). And everything else unchecked, OFF.  In one week you get very used to it.  In one month you absolutely don't care. (has the plus that you can use some features that can come handy, not available if Aero is disabled). Performance wise, no difference in performance in my experience...I'm very geek, would have noticed...  and my crappy old machine should notice it, as is low in almost all departments. Look at my signature, I have Windows 7.

That line is not recommended, you enter if doing so in a non supported mode. The way to activate it, though, is hitting properties, after right click over the Affinity Photo desktop icon, and setting the parameter after the "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe , put an space between the exe, and the parameter, and keep it inside the " (keep both ", it's needed)

I totally DON'T recommend it. You might not get the same experience. And related to bugs, etc, I believe you wont get support if loading it so... I am not sure either how performance will be, as  is all related with the graphic driver and dunno what.  

Yeah, I changed my habit of having no Aero, solely for Afifnity, but heck, it is worth it....

BTW, forgot, previous to reducing (if you do it afterwards, it sets some settings back on !! check them always after you do such change) I did set my fav colors theme for windows and backgrounds. You have already some color schemes, and maybe you like more the sepia-ish ones, or grey ones, like I do. Then go and do that "minimalizing" of the Aero settings list (leaving activated just 4 of them ! ) and...be happy with it. :)

Cheers, 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 1 year later...

This just seemed to happen to me suddenly tonight, seemingly for no reason.  I've managed to get the program to run using the no warning command for the app shortcuts, but I can no longer run the program by doubleclicking an associated file, despite having Aero running.

I had it running fine for years, and suddenly now it is doing this.  Nothing was intentionally changed.  No idea what triggererd it.

Win7Pro

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/8/2020 at 4:22 AM, ladlon said:

This just seemed to happen to me suddenly tonight, seemingly for no reason.  I've managed to get the program to run using the no warning command for the app shortcuts, but I can no longer run the program by doubleclicking an associated file, despite having Aero running.

I had it running fine for years, and suddenly now it is doing this.  Nothing was intentionally changed.  No idea what triggererd it.

Win7Pro

I have the same situation. Moreover, Aero turned it on, but the error persisted. Up to this point, everything worked like that

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.