You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW export

Hi all

just testing the app, first thing I'm interested to export reworked 16 bit png images in RAW format, any way to do it maybe using a plugin.

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

• Staff

Hi davide445,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The RAW format is the raw data captured by the camera sensor when you take a photo. It's not an image format in the sense that the data must be processed first before it can be visible on screen or exported as an image.

So there's no way to save in that format. If you want to keep all your changes editable (layer/adjustments/effects etc) save the file in the Affinity's native file format .afdesign or as a TIFF or PSD if you want o open it in a third-party software (some of the changes may be flattened when saved in other formats other than our one since they don't support all Affinity's features).

Hi MEB

unfortunatelly I need to save in raw format since I'm editing height maps and they need to be used in a game engine, accepting only raw format.

Any plugin allowing me to do this?

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

Hi MEB

unfortunatelly I need to save in raw format since I'm editing height maps and they need to be used in a game engine, accepting only raw format.

There's 0 way to make a jpeg/png raw - that data has already been lost.

However, I think what you are looking for is the photoshop .raw format - I'm assuming affinity doesn't have that. PSRaw is essentially just an array of integers, I am sure they could add it if they wanted. 

When you are talking to a bunch of photographers, 'raw' is always going to refer to raw camera data. PSRaw is another animal. 

• Staff

Hi MEB

Hi David, sounds like you're wanting to export in greyscale RAW16, which Photo doesn't currently support. It can do greyscale 16-bit PNG, does your game engine accept that?

(Which game engine by the way? Unreal engine? Unity?  :) )

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi @briandcamera @James Ritson, need to export to Unity3d, accepting only RAW format (I suppose the Photoshop one from this Manual entry, just the last section on the bottom).

Not sure if RAW16 it's the same as Photoshop RAW, anyway since Affinity support Photoshop plugin I thought there was the possibility to do so.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

• Staff

Hi @briandcamera @James Ritson, need to export to Unity3d, accepting only RAW format (I suppose the Photoshop one from this Manual entry, just the last section on the bottom).

Not sure if RAW16 it's the same as Photoshop RAW, anyway since Affinity support Photoshop plugin I thought there was the possibility to do so.

Ah, in that case then no, it's not the same. Unfortunately there isn't a one-step process for exporting your height map into the format you need for Unity at the moment. I've had a quick look at the documentation and it doesn't look like Unity supports any other formats for height map import? I usually export out of Photo as 16-bit greyscale PNG but it looks like that's not an option.

The only alternative I can dig up for now is a community script (HeightmapFromTexture) that will allow you to bypass the need to import a height map as a Photoshop RAW file and use a regular texture instead: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=HeightmapFromTexture- the disadvantage being you're limited to 8-bit depth...

Sorry about the limitation, hopefully it's something we can look into for future development.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 5 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.