You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping - Windows 10 - Affinity Designer Version 1.5.0.36

Please forgive a newbie question. I have little experience with graphics programs such as this.

I want to crop a photo. I load a JPG. When I click on the crop tool and try to move the 'grab handles' all that happens is that I move the photo in the window. The cursor remains looking like the crop tool during this, it does not change when I hover over the grab handles.

After some experimentation I find that if I 'rasterize" my photo the grab handles work as expected, and I move the edges of the photo in to only show the section. But, I don't seem to be able to finalize my crop. I press enter expecting the part of the image that is showing to be come the entire image. But nothing seems to work.

While I am no photo manipulating expert, I have cropped photos in the past with other programs and it is all very straightforward. What am I missing ?

What does 'rasterize" mean ?

• Staff

Hi nikki630,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Check if you have the layer locked in the Layers panel (padlock icon on the right). Click on it to unlock the layer. You should now be able to crop the image using the handles.

Note that the Crop Tool in Affinity Designer is object based rather than document based, so the document size will remain the same (you should see the transparent background appearing behind the image) while you drag the crop handles.