You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to use stroke-pressure profile for brush itself as well

I would like to have an ability to use stroke-pressure profile for (vector) brush as well, not only when I use pen tool (with mouse).

This feature is in Illustrator and I am missing it in Designer.

EDIT: I mean to have applied custom stroke profile immediately as I draw (using vector brush) with stylus on gr. tablet.

OR if not possible then to have chance to create my own custom vector brush with typical narrow cat eye/pupil shape as workaround.

And in both situation have chance to change stroke aftewards (which probably works well now).

Edited by buddhi

It doesn't just work with strokes from the pen tool but also the pencil tool. But what do you mean the feature is in Illustrator? Profiling only works on line strokes like pen and pencil. It doesn't work on brush strokes. I was always so upset about that, because I loved the width tool.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

It doesn't just work with strokes from the pen tool but also the pencil tool. But what do you mean the feature is in Illustrator? Profiling only works on line strokes like pen and pencil. It doesn't work on brush strokes. I was always so upset about that, because I loved the width tool.

Not sure if I understand you..

In Illustrator I can use it in real time/immediately (as I use a stylus), but in Designer I can only make a default curve first and AFTER I have to apply (change) stroke to custom one.

See my attached file with AI example where I created my own stroke profile AND my own brush, they both work with paintbrush tool, se my attached picture.

Also in Designer there is no way to drag my custom stroke (a curve with ctustom stroke) to Brushes palette to create a custom brush with that profile.

post-34802-0-33690400-1479955826_thumb.jpg

Maybe that's a new feature in Illustrator then. I still have CS6, and this is not working for me.

in Designer I can only make a default curve first and AFTER I have to apply (change) stroke to custom one.

For this, however, there is a feature that enables pressure sensitivity to the pencil tool so you don't have to change the profile afterwards. (My beta trial has expired, so I don't remember the exact option, but I think it is under "Controller" when you have the pencil tool selected. One of the options is "Pressure."

Also in Designer there is no way to drag my custom stroke (a curve with ctustom stroke) to Brushes palette to create a custom brush with that profile.

It's a bit extra work, but do this to create your own brush.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Maybe that's a new feature in Illustrator then. I still have CS6, and this is not working for me.

For this, however, there is a feature that enables pressure sensitivity to the pencil tool so you don't have to change the profile afterwards. (My beta trial has expired, so I don't remember the exact option, but I think it is under "Controller" when you have the pencil tool selected. One of the options is "Pressure."

It's a bit extra work, but do this to create your own brush.

I use Adobe CC..

(sometimes AI also ignores profile/thickness first like Designer, but finally I always manage it somehow..)

My whole idea was about using vector brush (NOT raster one) with ignoring pressure (yes, I preffer that) and rather using predefined stroke profile or custom vector brush with typical (narrow cat eye/pupil) shape.

But I do not even know how to create such vector brush (2nd solution) when the (1st) solution with stroke profile does not work.

I use cheap tablet and I get best results in Illustrator using custom vector brush or custom stroke profile with possibility to change thicknes aftewards if necessary..

Also I miss the smoothing feature in Designer.

Yeah, actual vector brushes would be nicer.

Also I miss the smoothing feature in Designer.

You're not seeing it? I forget the exact name, but look at all of your options for the pencil tool. There is a drop down menu to turn "None" into "Pressure."

Yeah, actual vector brushes would be nicer.

You're not seeing it? I forget the exact name, but look at all of your options for the pencil tool. There is a drop down menu to turn "None" into "Pressure."

It works somehow but very limited, not adjustable at all. BTW I don't use a pencil tool..