You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey there. First off, really impressed with Affinity Photo, I'm hoping to replace photoshop with it in the future. So I wrote myself a list of every feature I use in Photoshop to see if there's an equivalent in Affinity Photo, got about 90%. The remaining 10% is below, if any of these features do exist in Affinity Photo and I'm just not finding them, would love to know about it, I suspect some of them I just missed.

- Export Layers As Files

- Batch (Will this be "Process Batch? Currently its crashing for me on windows)

- Stroke Selection With Color

- Transform Selection: Flip

- Replace Color Adjustment Layer

- Lock Transparency On a layer

- Layer Group: Color

- Color Picker: Average

- Color Picker: Current Layer, Current & Below, Different Layer, All Layers

- Clone Brush Tool: Different Layer, All Layers

- Actions

- Filter: Cutout

- Filter: Highpass

- Filter: Offset

Any help confirming this list is really appreciated!

- Neil

In the meantime some actual real Expert in AP actually sees this post, I'm gonna put at least sth to fill some gaps :

- Stroke Selection With Color ---> select/outline, shift f5 and so fill it wiht the color of choice. Option 2)  layer fx, outline,  though that has its equivalent in PS, but depending on you use a purchased cs ps, or a cc, that fx is of better quality or equal (respectively.) than in ps.

Kind of... very fast to apply as to feel that "heck, i don't have it here"   :). Pretty fast and flexible.

- Batch (Will this be "Process Batch? Currently its crashing for me on windows) --->yep, there is. BTW, better if you could report when it happened and how(the crash). For example, ther might be a bug if it tries to open files which are not images, or huge files or sth. It shouldn't crash, though, so it helps them if provide them with details, although, of course if you would be so  kind :)

"New batch job" from File menu. Not as complete as in PS, BUT... way more powerful than it seems, as the actions you see there, are the default, but you can create new ones!! which will show there once "saved to library". Because, yes, there's actions(macros), that in next point. Last, I have not really used yet batch, but there's a Studio (panel) from view menu where once a batch job is started I'd expect to see elements in there, just so you know.

- Actions (Jumping way below as is related). This are Macros in AP. Pretty good! It records what u do , like PS Actions. You can later, once stop the macro recording,  "add to library" hitting the plus sign icon. This is important, as well, is how you actually save 'em , and apply macro (Action)as an extra operation to do to every file of a batch operation in the batch dialog. As you know, this is terrrificly useful in PS, I used it a lot for video game sequences of frames. Cut production times crazily. Pay attention to the gear wheel tiny icon, as you can after saved the macro, modify every step specifics in quite a bit.   :). The saved and default actions -macros- will show up in a tab, usually, in the Studio panel group where Batch elements are (just to its right).

- Transform Selection: Flip. -->Might be smarter ways, as fast-direct as in ps, but what i only know is trigger "edit selection as layer", in menu Select, then it shows as a quick mask mode in ps, then you hit arrange -flip horizontal, and toggle back to the normal mode, it only flips the selection.   :)

if you assign keys to edit selection as layer, and to arrange flip, the operation would be of one second. Again, maybe there's a smarter way, am too new to the app, too.

-Replace Color Adjustment Layer . No that I know off. I'd be limited myself to the magic wand tool (flood selector), to build the selection then maybe apply a combination of adjustment layer effects over those selected pixels, or do an overlay layer itself, dunno.

- Lock Transparency On a layer --->No idea.

- Layer Group: Color  ---> no idea. tho in ps never was a big thing for me... helps with 200+ layers, yep, but.... ;)

- Color Picker: Average -->Average among several points: I believe there is not, but falls in the "No idea" category for me, meaning I simply don't know if it exists.

- Color Picker: Current Layer, Current & Below, Different Layer, All Layers ---> For not in the same layer, no idea, probably not.  with the Colour Picker Tool selected go to the context toolbar click on the Presets dropdown

- Clone Brush Tool: Different Layer, All Layers -->  Not exactly, but look at the contextual top bar options : There is Current layer, Current & Below, layers beneath.

- Filter: Cutout --> no idea, as rarely I would use that type of effect. (if anything, a posterize (or threshold mixed in a subtle slight way, depends of the artistic effect am after) and some adjustment layers or filters after, for some specific cases)

- Filter: Highpass--> Unsure about this one.   Menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer ▸ High Pass Filter

- Filter: Offset--> filter, distort, Affine, I believe.

That said, there's flexibility enough, and some other different new approaches, this conjunction of matters allow you to build your own workflows, I mean, the software has enough depth so that even if the method in some case is different, is very close in capabilities, or equal in many cases.

The one writing these lines is a PS veteran, btw   :D

Cheers,

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Thanks for the very detailed answers, I appreciate it. That fills in a few holes...

>> Stroke Selection With Color ---> select/outline, shift f5 and so fill it wiht the color of choice

Good work around. I do hope they add the ability to do this in a single function at some point, like maybe add the fill inside the outline tool.

>> BTW, better if you could report when it happened and how(the crash).

It sent a crash report to them, so hopefully they'll get what they need. It didn't crash on my home computer, so I was able to get a look at the interface and it does indeed do what I need.

>> Actions (Jumping way below as is related). This are Macros in AP

Cool, missed that floating window.

>> arrange -flip horizontal

Ah ok, well looks like it can flip a layer using that technique, so even if it doesn't work on a selection, at least it works on the layer. Hopefully they'll add the ability to flip just the selection without converting it at some point.

>> Filter: Offset--> filter, distort, Affine, I believe.

Awesome.

Thanks again, you helped me fill some holes. We'll see if anyone has any extra feedback, then I'll take the remaining features and add them to the wishlist section. After achieving parity, I'll focus my wishes on stuff photoshop doesn't have. It's cool being excited about the future of an app again :)

- Neil

>> arrange -flip horizontal

Ah ok, well looks like it can flip a layer using that technique, so even if it doesn't work on a selection, at least it works on the layer. Hopefully they'll add the ability to flip just the selection without converting it at some point.

>> Filter: Offset--> filter, distort, Affine, I believe.

Awesome.

Thanks again, you helped me fill some holes. We'll see if anyone has any extra feedback, then I'll take the remaining features and add them to the wishlist section. After achieving parity, I'll focus my wishes on stuff photoshop doesn't have. It's cool being excited about the future of an app again :)

- Neil

Ehm...

wait, nope... the method I explained, works for working only in the selection, you don't change your pixels or layer. It works indeed the same like when you hit transform selection, which is indeed also an "special mode", so, not much of a difference. And none in the result. You end up flipping only your selection.

Both PS and AP enter in an special mode :D .  Only that in Ap you will see for a moment your selection as a red mask   :)

Just as a reminder, the method is like this : 

You have your selection made, then menu select-->edit as layer, then Arrange->flip, then hit again menu select->edit as layer to abandone the mode. Is slightly long done by menus. Extremely fast done if you assign key shortcuts to it. Also, if I notice I make an operation a tons of times a day, I'll be asigning it to one of my tablet surface or pen buttons, for speed's sake. And those I often change as depending on the project, the most used operation vary.

Remember that once in being a "fake layer mode" a sort of mask, you can probably do to it a lot more than you would in a selection mode, even in PS. True, this is very similar to Adobe PS quick mask mode, but I used to use that such a lot. Indeed, I totally recommend you to get a shortcut for it, as will get really useful in most workflows you might need AP for. You can paint over it and all. 

About this useful "PS-like quick mask mode" , a very useful tip: To paint with the brush and so refine your selection, mask or whatever, you could have a key like I have to reset your foreground and background to black and white, very useful for paint in mask mode (as a non full black or non full white might not make full transparent or full opaque, useful tho too, but you better provide that with pressure sensitivity)  , so, set a key to reset foreground and background colors to black/white in the primary and secondary colors (foreground and background, i mean), and also, i have key "x", like in PS, to swap foreground with background colors al the time, extremely useful when refining a mask in mask mode, or refining a selection, like we are doing here.  

I know is all way more than you asked for, only an horizontal flip of the selection. But working with selection is key in image editing, that's why am going deep here.

A lot of the brain resistance is often to do things different to how it is used to do them, but that's how the brain stops getting rusted!   :D Jokes aside, the UI is already extremely similar to PS, in what they preserved many UX rules here. Even if it is indeed a original and different UI, really.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

So there doesn't appear to be a color picker tool. Could that be only available in the mac version right now?

Thanks for the highpass.

- Neil

Hi soulburn,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Colour Picker average: with the Colour Picker Tool selected go to the context toolbar click on the Presets dropdown

High Pass filter: menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer ▸ High Pass Filter

SrPx said:

>> You have your selection made, then menu select-->edit as layer, then Arrange->flip, then hit again menu select->edit as layer to abandone the mode

So I tried that and it doesn't work. Here's my steps

1) Open an image

2) select an area using Rectangular marque tool

3) Go Select -> Edit selection as layer, area outside the rectangle goes red

4) Arrange -> Flip Horizontal

5) Nothing happens

Does this work for you. Maybe it's a bug on the windows version?

> A lot of the brain resistance is often to do things different to how it is used to do them, but that's how the brain stops getting rusted!

I actually learn new software all the time, to me its all about mouse clicks/button presses, I have no problem learning a new way of doing things, but if I have to press more things to get something I do all the time, that's a problem. :)

- Neil

MEB Said:

>> The Windows version however doesn't have it in the toolbar by default (i will log this). Go to menu View ▸ Customise Tools...

Got it! So the average seems to work fine, but Current layer appears to be broken. So if I

1) paint a layer with green

2) paint a layer with blue

3) set the blue layer to 50% opacity

4) Make sure the blue layer is current

5) set the eye dropper to Source: Current Layer

6) It will pick a color that's greenish blue, not blue like I would suspect

Can you confirm?

- Neil

1) Open an image

2) select an area using Rectangular marque tool

3) Go Select -> Edit selection as layer, area outside the rectangle goes red

4) Arrange -> Flip Horizontal

5) Nothing happens

You are leaving out there the last one, which is repeat number 3), as is a toggle, to go back to normal selection. Or faster, hit Q key again.

Also, maybe a rectangle selection is not the best to check this (horizontal flip), as is equal in both sides...You can simplify number 3) in just hitting Q key or hitting the quick mask mode button in top bar, so is easier and faster.

Double checked, it works. So, much summarized, so that you can make a last check to see if some step was missing :

1) Make a selection, try it not to be symmetric in shape or you might not notice an horizontal flip in the slection. because I understood all this time that you only want to transform the selection, not the pixels...

2) "Q" key to go to quick mask mode.

3) Arrange -flip horizontal, or a key if you assign it in preferences. (or any edit that you want to make to it)

4) Q key again to get back from quick mask mode and you will see your selection (not the pixels) flipped.

Note about the color picker:  You can use (temporarily have it while you are painting) the color picker just clicking and holding ALT key, then dragging left mouse button.

But yep, this is mostly for us painters and illustrators. I can understand how a photographer might not be using brushes all the time, so, prefers just the icon tool for color picker.

Yeh, the comment about the brain flexibility, I mean, is sth I tell to myself everyday, as mine at least has a tendency to rust...

Oh wait. So I think I see what's going on here. I am not looking to flip the selection shape. I am looking to flip whatever pixels are inside my selection. I see now how me saying "flip just the selection" made you think I wanted the selection shape mirrored, but I actually meant the stuff inside. Any idea how to do that?

- Neil

Oh wait. So I think I see what's going on here. I am not looking to flip the selection shape. I am looking to flip whatever pixels are inside my selection. I see now how me saying "flip just the selection" made you think I wanted the selection shape mirrored, but I actually meant the stuff inside. Any idea how to do that?

- Neil

1. Make your selection

2. Use Ctrl+J to make a new layer from the selection

3. Use Arrange > Flip Vertical (or Flip Horizontal) to flip the layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks carl, it would be faster though if you could mirror on the same layer without having to create a new layer. I can see a lot of making a new layer, flipping, and then merging layers again in my future. Will put the request on the official wishlist.

- Neil

Thanks carl, it would be faster though if you could mirror on the same layer without having to create a new layer. I can see a lot of making a new layer, flipping, and then merging layers again in my future. Will put the request on the official wishlist.

One of the benefits of creating a new layer is it is non-destructive. When you merge the layers, you give up the ability to easily go back later & flip things back to the way they were. The best you can hope for is to redraw exactly the same selection shape, in the same size & position & then mirror it again.

And of course, this one step flip & merge thing only would be of much use for selections that have symmetrical edges; otherwise flipping them would leave gaps or overlaps that destroyed part of the original.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can mirror a layer directly without doing selection with arrange, but i see that you want mirror only the pixels inside a selection.

I see now how me saying "flip just the selection" made you think I wanted

Indeed, I did read it a little too literally.   ;)

IMO, if this, plus some other operation, you do it a lot for your main workflow, in your shoes I'd just build a macro. (I know they are fixings things  there now, though). So you would just record whatever number of operations , have the library studio handy to click over it to reproduce it all every time needed.

I'd agree on the convenience of having a shortcut for each action to run, but imo, time will end up having that there.  I believe they are cleaning now some bugs in macros, so that obviously gets way more priority.