You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Substitution and Management of Symbol Instances

pcote

Hello Affinity Team,

Congratulations on shipping Symbols. This was a much needed feature.

But now that I'm actually working with it, I've found out that it would be really helpful to be able to just Substitute a Symbol Instance with another one instead of having to recreate from scratch each time I want to replace a symbol.

Also, it would be nice if there was some kind of Symbol management available. Right now, it's impossible to Reorder, Duplicate, Group or Edit a Symbol by using the panel.

Would it be possible to implement these in the near future? These would make Symbols much more powerful.

Thank you very much,

Philippe Côté

Agreed about Symbol management.

The Assets panel has some of the features you mention... reordering and subsections / groups.

A work around for Duplication: Detach an instance of the symbol, and then Create a new symbol.

Also, when deleting a symbol it would be nice to get the choice of Detach all instances, or Delete all instances. The UI could even tell you how many instances are currently in use.

Plus you can only delete one symbol at a time! I just wanted to remove half a dozen symbols (from my experiments) and it was very tedious!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 3 months later...