You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes and other problems

Hi Affinity Team

I downloaded the lastest version 1.5.0.38 the other day and have encountered some problems that I did not have on the earlier version.

I use FastStone image viewer and select my image and send it to Affinity Photo. On several occassions I have received the message "An unhanded exception has occurred and the application cannot continue. Crash reference dialog will be displayed when the application is restarted. Code 0x80004003.

I then click OK and then restart Photo and up comes a crash reference: c4d36dad-d0a0-4749-9767-06cad8471766. Click OK and then program starts OK and runs.

If I try loading from FastStone again it mostly works but not every time.

I was delighted to see that the Nik and Topaz plugins would run on 16 bit. I tried them out and all of them (except Silver Efex) created blue and green coloured blobs on the image particularly where there is fine detail or highlights. Further experiments showed that this problem does not occur in 8 bit mode.

Silver Efex seems to run OK in either mode and I have not traced a problem anywhere in the image.

The other thing that frequently happens is when using a plugin and you click OK the whole Photo screen collapses and you then have to click on the Photo icon in the task bar at the bottom of the screen to bring it back. It then works OK.

I don't know if anyone else has encountered these things but may be my findings will be of help to perfecting Photo.

Regards

John.

• Staff

Hi John,

Thanks for the reports regarding the Faststone imageViewer integration are the crashes happening with a particular file type or even file location?

Could you provide a screenshot for the plugins showing the problem?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

With regards to sending images from FastStone to Affinity Photo it does seem to be random as to what the image is. It could be a RAW image from Olympus M10 or a JPEG. When the crash has happened and Photo has restarted I can load the same file in without a problem, and using the same system.

I have cropped an image of a bee on a thistle which shows these coloured blobs. You can see them on the ends of the hairs on the bee's body. and again there is a highlight on a thistle leaf on the left which attracted a blue blob.

Another thing I noticed, lst night, was that when I have a RAW image in Develop I can adjust the noise and sharpening and get a good result. Then when the image is sent into the Photo Persona all the noise and sharpening adjustments have gone and the image is noisy.

Also if I go to Filters/Noise/Denoise and carry out adjustments and click to apply these adjustments the image reverts back to before I adjusted it. If on the other hand I go to Layers/Live Filter Layer/Denoise all is fine. when it is working the denoise seems to work very well.

Hope the cropped image and my comments will be helpful.

post-41459-0-54699500-1479992427_thumb.jpg

I use FastStone image viewer and select my image and send it to Affinity Photo. On several occassions I have received the message "An unhanded exception has occurred and the application cannot continue. Crash reference dialog will be displayed when the application is restarted. Code 0x80004003.

Which version of FastStone Image Viewer do you have, John? I've just updated from version 5.9 to version 6.0 and tried sending quite a few images to Affinity Photo without any apparent problems. The only thing of note was that when I closed the image viewer the current image loading activity in Affinity Photo came to an abrupt halt, but perhaps this is 'by design'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred

I am running version 5.5 and have not had problems with Paintshop Pro X8 or X9. The problem with Photo seems quite random, but it sounds as if I need to update my FastStone. I have to admit that I had not checked for updates as everything was working just fine!

I will update FastStone and check it out as it might be due something in the older version not quite making sometimes. Thank you for the info.

On some occasions Photo has stopped on me if the last action is still going through its motions but not visible, and some actions seem to on a long time - or is me being impatient?!

Regards

John. 

Hi Folks,

I have just downloaded the latest Beta version of Photo 1.5.0.39 and the image problems seem to have been fixed. I have just used both Topaz Detail and Nik Sharpener to try them out and both are running in 16 bit mode and leaving a clean image. So a big Thank You to the hard working Affinity Team.

I have also updated the FastStone Viewer so hopefully all will be well now!

Thanks again to all,

Regards

John.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.