You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Given the increasing number of people using Affinity in its various guises, might there now be an argument for splitting the question forum into two, for Photo and Designer?

Several times I've found myself reading what looked to be an interesting topic, only to find that it's Designer related, rather than Photo, and thus, at present at least, of limited relevance as far as I am concerned.

This isn't a moan, and, to be honest, I haven't got a clue how much work changing the forum would entail.  It's just a suggestion.  Feel free to reply, ignore or fall about laughing!

I have to confess I have often fallen into the same trap!

However, I do use AD very occasionally and sometimes the posts are interesting and relevant even though I am principally an AP user. It seems to me these two apps overlap enormously and it is clear that they have been developed with maximum compatibility and interchange in mind. Many users seem familiar with both. I am not convinced segregation is a good idea.

Perhaps if the posting form had simple checkboxes, that identify the app(s) to which the post refers, that must be checked before the post is accepted? This could then be indicated with an AD or AP flag (or both) for readers. Within the one forum they can choose whether to read our not ..... better than segregation perhaps?

Of course it's easy for us 'couch programmers' to make suggestions like this from a position of sublime ignorance. It can sometimes be another thing entirely to implement them. On this occasion, however, from my very inexpert couch,  I suspect it might not be so terribly difficult ...........  ;)

ideally, the forum interface would have a radio button that would be required to select before allowing posting. The radio button choices would be the list of products, which in turn would create metadata that one could filter/sort on.

Michael

We think alike, per my post here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/29041-aff-des-aff-photo-for-windows-beta-mas-forum-mixup/

"Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:51 PM"

"My suggestion would be to have check boxes in every new topic post that the user would have to check to identify the Affinity program and platform for which the question applies. I'm more confused by trying to figure out whether the questioner is using Designer or Photo than the other confusions. After all, the goal is to have the platform versions be similar, right, whether PC or Mac? With check boxes, at least you can figure out which app without reading very far."

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

ideally, the forum interface would have a radio button that would be required to select before allowing posting. The radio button choices would be the list of products, which in turn would create metadata that one could filter/sort on.

But there would need a lot more choices than just a radio button list of products. Some of the topics are equally applicable to AD & AP, so there would need to be a "both" radio button too. Once Publisher arrives that could get more complicated, so "all that apply" checkboxes would probably be a better way to choose.

It also might be useful to be able to indicate which platform(s) the topic applies to, & while there are just Windows & Macs to consider for now, there will eventually be iPads. Some people will want to know about using more than one of them, so the radio button approach probably isn't the best way to go for that, either.

I realize the attraction of radio buttons for this is to make a choice mandatory, but realistically I suspect a lot of people would just choose one more or less at random, particularly if they were not already at least somewhat familiar with the Affinity product range, were just curious about what the apps offered or how they compared, or were asking about something that would not fit neatly into any product category (like a creative technique or cross-platform compatibility).

Personally, I don't think making anything like this mandatory is the right way to go. This is a support site, so there should as few barriers or prerequisites as possible that could discourage people from posting. Since posts can be edited, I think "pinned" FAQ's like the few that already exist that we could encourage new users to read when the context isn't clear would be most appropriate.

But that's just my opinion.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

... But that's just my opinion.

Good points all!

Well then, maybe responders and moderators could lend a hand by starting their responses with, "If you're referring to AP, then, etc, etc..."

This would also be a hard sell since it slows down the response... and enthusiasm is what drives the forum.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop