seabirdr

Size adds 1px when creating slice

On 2018-04-09 at 1:08 AM, agalberto said:

Do you have the option enabled by default when you create a new doc? 

In theory, based on my experience and tests, the force pixel alignment button remains to the state it was when you quit Affinity Designer. So if you turned it on and quit, it will be on next time you launch the software. Similarly if you turn it off and quit, it will off when you start a new session. It's not document dependent. A little like the light switch in a room: it will remain ON until you turn it off.

Aaargh! I just noticed :

If the Move by one pixel toggle button is "ON", the this takes precedent over the Force pixel alignment toggle button. Meaning that if the artboard is not already aligned to the pixel grid, it is not possible to align it. For example, if the artboad X origin is 10.666 px. it will jump to 125.666, 9.666, 1.3423, 100000.666, but never to a round number.

Also note that Force pixel alignment is OFF by default when you install the software on a new system...  That should not be and it would probably reduce the traffic on this blog if it was ON by default.

Pixel Alignment Forcing wont help. If you do anything else than web or digital graphics you not only wont need it, but also don't want it - since you want to be able to align stuff in a smaller resolution than a pixel. It must be a pixel alignment ONLY for artboards.

@Affinity wouldn't it be possible to integrate something like that? Small option in the settings "force pixel alignment only for artboards" or something?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

8 hours ago, farbenfeuer said:

Pixel Alignment Forcing wont help. If you do anything else than web or digital graphics you not only wont need it, but also don't want it - 

Actually, I hate to contradict, but pixel misalignment is real problem for printed ads or anything printed that does not require bleed.Â

One of the Affinity's biggest strength is symbols, which take all their advantages while used across multiple artboards. A series of ads for a variety of publications and medias is takes good use of symbols and artboards. I cut my production time in four or more for some of our projects by doing this.

The problem is that the export persona converts your real life measurement (cm, points, inches, etc.) into pixels, and the result rarely end up with a nice round pixel number. One might think that a third of a pixel on the edge of an ad is irrelevant and could be dismissed. The In real life, you end up with a 1 pixel frame around your artboard when you export to PDF.  (If your artboard align to the pixel grid, then the border will only be visible on the bottom or/and right edge). That either make for fuzzy ad edges or a visible white border when you place it on anything else than white. 

A clumsy workaround is to adjust your artboard dimensions to round up to an exact pixel count. That sort of work, but your document ends-up being off specs and that can create a bunch of other issues which i won't discuss here. 

Ideally, artboards should be independent of the grid altogether and should have their own size units as well. Yup, I can see the programming challenge here, but it is problematic and will be a deal breaker for some people. 

On 2/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, MEB said:

Hi farbenfeuer,

It's not that simple. In Designer Artboards are a special type of object/shape (more or less) and as such they can be positioned anywhere on the document, aligned or not with the pixel grid. If you enable Force Pixel Alignment in the Snapping Manager from the beginning it will ensure that all objects - artboards included - will be aligned to the pixel grid.

Meanwhile i figured out, that even if you have forced pixel alignment it won't change the fact, that artboards still won't have round pixel numbers and therefore still produce the +1px results.

So no matter what you do, you'll always have to check that your pixel numbers are rounded and most of the time you only see that when trying to export which means going back to do it. Might not seem like a big deal, but those couple seconds add up and as stated before feel pretty silly having to do...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Jeeze just got bitten by this too - it's a stupid product decision given so many people are falling over it. Please listen to the users it's what makes products be successful and be adopted.

At least I know about the pointless sub-pixel artboards now and how to stop it. O.o

Note the export persona can throw a little warning about duplicate slices - why not throw one for artboards not being pixel aligned - just a thought 

Posted (edited)

This is hell guys, I just exported hundreds of artboards and and all of them are 1px bigger. Im grown man but this makes me cry a lot. How much time it will take for me to fix this. I dont even know how...

Edit solution: your snapping options should look like this, then just grab the artboard, one by one, and mess with it with your mouse, it will snap to the pixel grid.

image.png.ff5c9647667b4d970dde59b6adad3d9f.png

Edited by darek
found solution

Unfortunately, there is no quick way to fix this. Yes, this is frustrating, even for grown-up people.

Here what's it's all about, and how to fix it.

BACKGROUND

Artboards are actually objects laid out on the document grid. Each artboard does not have it's on independent grid as we would intuitively think. Instead, they all relate with main grid, common for all. 

The issue comes from the fact that you can position those special objects called artboards, anywhere on the canvas. By anywhere, I mean that you are totally allowed to place your artboards off the grid by let's say 0.12358 pixel if you wish. Remember, these are objects, so there is no reason for them to be forced to align precisely on the main grid. An artboard can also be 50.2536 pixels if you wish.

However, slices from the export persona do not share the artboard latitude. They must align with the grid and they must be of an exact unit dimension. If I'm not wrong, that unit is pixels, no matter what unit is assigned to your document, but that is another discussion.

So.... If an artboard is off the grid, let say its "x" origin is at 5002.125 pixels,  its corresponding slice will have to grip at either 5002 pixels, or 5003 pixels. The same thing will happen for each corner of your artboard, in both X and Y coordinates. Because the software does want to crop half a pixel off your document. At the end, your slice ends up being 1 pixel wider and/or taller. 

FIX

Simply put, make sure that all your artboards are aligned to the grid.

You do that by making sure that the "Force Pixel Alignment" button is "on" when creating or moving artboard. Note that this will not be applied when you copy an artboard. If you want it to align it, you need to move it once you created it.

2027910891_ScreenShot2020-03-26at11_54_10AM.png.94d69bd5f0e6f7e86258c3482e192ed6.png

You can also use the Transform dialog box to make sure that the artboard X and Y origin are a nice round number. The image below is way off and will generate a slice of the wrong dimension. Probably something like 985 x 545. 

1967737071_ScreenShot2020-03-26at11_58_16AM.png.1ee71fb4c211514983590b91cb602079.png

If you have a bunch of artboads on your document already, it might take some times to fix them all.

Trick

One thing you can do to speed things up is to use the align tools to line up your artboards. Essentially, just make sure you have a few clean artboard and align the rest to those. This may get a bit tricky, depending on how your artboard are laid out on your page. 

279288061_ScreenShot2020-03-26at11_28_02AM.png.35f3d3306252445d9573fab86c2e8a4e.png

OPINION

If you ask me, this is way too complicated for the average user, and will be a deal breaker for some. Eventually you sort of get used to it.

Yet, when you start mixing units, it gets tricky and you'll have to live some slices being off.... So I really wish that each artboard could have its own grid and units, and that slices would just match them, no fuss.

Good post, but you are right it's ridiculous this is so easy to get wrong, just make artboard coordinates integral by default it's the 99.9% use case. If you want a non internal artboard you can then override the coordinates. This isn't a CAD system most outputs are rounded to integral pixels hence the problem.

#smallThings #productExcellence

I have been suffering with this problem for a whole year, and it still has not been fixed, it's terrible, why does the affinity team not pay attention to it?  because this is an important aspect for ui designers…… :( 

This is very annoying, and in fact I just stopped making layouts in affinity because of this, this is nonsense, I hope this will be fixed sometime and I will be able to easily design my screens design on the iPad, all my friends designers swear on this  bug, I don’t understand why Serif/Designer team scare away such a large audience?

:/

4 hours ago, Andrew Khodchenko said:

This is very annoying, and in fact I just stopped making layouts in affinity because of this, this is nonsense, I hope this will be fixed sometime and I will be able to easily design my screens design on the iPad, all my friends designers swear on this  bug, I don’t understand why Serif/Designer team scare away such a large audience?

Yes, this is clearly a deal breaker for many. One needs to be fairly technical and like to work with precision to find its way around this... which, let’s be honest, is not your typical designer and artists who just want to do things and have the software take care of the math for them. 

I now use Designer almost exclusively because my turn around time has dropped 10 to 1 on most of my projects — Yes really. Yet, just because of this art-board issue (and a few other little annoyances out of this topic), I'm often reluctant to recommend the software because this drives people mad and I don't want to "burn" the product's reputation. 

This software behaviour/functionality holds no user benefits whatsoever. I suspect that the programming complexity to fix it is a huge challenge and the reason it's not addressed. 

2 hours ago, arkinien said:

Yes, this is clearly a deal breaker for many. One needs to be fairly technical and like to work with precision to find its way around this... which, let’s be honest, is not your typical designer and artists who just want to do things and have the software take care of the math for them. 

I now use Designer almost exclusively because my turn around time has dropped 10 to 1 on most of my projects — Yes really. Yet, just because of this art-board issue (and a few other little annoyances out of this topic), I'm often reluctant to recommend the software because this drives people mad and I don't want to "burn" the product's reputation. 

This software behaviour/functionality holds no user benefits whatsoever. I suspect that the programming complexity to fix it is a huge challenge and the reason it's not addressed. 

Same, maybe this will be fixed in the future, which I really hope, I just would like to use Designer but for this reason…… like many others ui designers…  I can’t. 

Design of layouts turns into a nightmare, constantly something needs to be moved or corrected so that later it would be possible to make slices without problems, this all eats up too much time :/ … and the worst thing is that this story lasts from 2016! Omg 

Bought the whole suite today, was keen to learn this package and support a market disruptor - however when I moved from playing around to an actual project I discovered this crazy issue. Some amazing things about this software but this one is a bit of a deal breaker. Sad.