seabirdr

Size adds 1px when creating slice

On 2018-04-09 at 1:08 AM, agalberto said:

Do you have the option enabled by default when you create a new doc? 

In theory, based on my experience and tests, the force pixel alignment button remains to the state it was when you quit Affinity Designer. So if you turned it on and quit, it will be on next time you launch the software. Similarly if you turn it off and quit, it will off when you start a new session. It's not document dependent. A little like the light switch in a room: it will remain ON until you turn it off.

Aaargh! I just noticed :

If the Move by one pixel toggle button is "ON", the this takes precedent over the Force pixel alignment toggle button. Meaning that if the artboard is not already aligned to the pixel grid, it is not possible to align it. For example, if the artboad X origin is 10.666 px. it will jump to 125.666, 9.666, 1.3423, 100000.666, but never to a round number.

Also note that Force pixel alignment is OFF by default when you install the software on a new system...  That should not be and it would probably reduce the traffic on this blog if it was ON by default.

Pixel Alignment Forcing wont help. If you do anything else than web or digital graphics you not only wont need it, but also don't want it - since you want to be able to align stuff in a smaller resolution than a pixel. It must be a pixel alignment ONLY for artboards.

@Affinity wouldn't it be possible to integrate something like that? Small option in the settings "force pixel alignment only for artboards" or something?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

8 hours ago, farbenfeuer said:

Pixel Alignment Forcing wont help. If you do anything else than web or digital graphics you not only wont need it, but also don't want it - 

Actually, I hate to contradict, but pixel misalignment is real problem for printed ads or anything printed that does not require bleed.Â

One of the Affinity's biggest strength is symbols, which take all their advantages while used across multiple artboards. A series of ads for a variety of publications and medias is takes good use of symbols and artboards. I cut my production time in four or more for some of our projects by doing this.

The problem is that the export persona converts your real life measurement (cm, points, inches, etc.) into pixels, and the result rarely end up with a nice round pixel number. One might think that a third of a pixel on the edge of an ad is irrelevant and could be dismissed. The In real life, you end up with a 1 pixel frame around your artboard when you export to PDF.  (If your artboard align to the pixel grid, then the border will only be visible on the bottom or/and right edge). That either make for fuzzy ad edges or a visible white border when you place it on anything else than white. 

A clumsy workaround is to adjust your artboard dimensions to round up to an exact pixel count. That sort of work, but your document ends-up being off specs and that can create a bunch of other issues which i won't discuss here. 

Ideally, artboards should be independent of the grid altogether and should have their own size units as well. Yup, I can see the programming challenge here, but it is problematic and will be a deal breaker for some people. 

On 2/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, MEB said:

Hi farbenfeuer,

It's not that simple. In Designer Artboards are a special type of object/shape (more or less) and as such they can be positioned anywhere on the document, aligned or not with the pixel grid. If you enable Force Pixel Alignment in the Snapping Manager from the beginning it will ensure that all objects - artboards included - will be aligned to the pixel grid.

Meanwhile i figured out, that even if you have forced pixel alignment it won't change the fact, that artboards still won't have round pixel numbers and therefore still produce the +1px results.

So no matter what you do, you'll always have to check that your pixel numbers are rounded and most of the time you only see that when trying to export which means going back to do it. Might not seem like a big deal, but those couple seconds add up and as stated before feel pretty silly having to do...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Jeeze just got bitten by this too - it's a stupid product decision given so many people are falling over it. Please listen to the users it's what makes products be successful and be adopted.

At least I know about the pointless sub-pixel artboards now and how to stop it. O.o

Note the export persona can throw a little warning about duplicate slices - why not throw one for artboards not being pixel aligned - just a thought