You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

overprint preview, pantone export

Hi,

I am currently on Beta, so it may be just solved. Problem is, when I export artwork created with Pantone to PDF (with honor Pantone color ON), it is converted to CMYK in the final PDF file (sample files attached, checked with pitstop which shows CMYK).

Second is my question regarding overprints. I understand how to set overprint to a color, but is there any way how to see actual result (like when I have one rectangle 100% Cyan, second overprinted it with 100% Yellow, it should display nice green :-). Thanks for tips.

BS

Sava Kubias

test-overprint.pdf

pantone-test.afdesign

ad 1 - Thanks for tip with Pantone, didnt realize it.

ad 2 - Well, without overprints visible, there is no use for prepress for designer :-( Checking everything again in acrobat is not acceptable for our workflow. I will buy one copy for playing around and hope it will grow into some real replacement for Illustrator/Corel.

I completely understand and agree...to a point.

I almost never use overprint preview in ID or AI. I understand the effect and if I am concerned about the color mix, I will make a new swatch of the values in the overlap to make sure I am getting what I think I should. But I do that rarely.

In CD, it really doesn't show a simulation of overprinting if the mix is not valid and shows no warnings about the fact. I guess the fact it doesn't view properly is a warning of sorts, but unless the designer is aware of that the job goes to press, the press people say, what the heck do you think you're doing, etc.

Even if I can use overprint preview in an application, I inspect the result carefully in Acrobat before I send something on to press. Seeing it on-screen is no panacea for the designer if it cannot run on the press and end up with a proper result.

All that said, it does need overprint preview and Serif have written that it will come (if I recall properly).

Mike