You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Future support for Corel Draw files?

• 7 months later...

Yes Please make Affinity Designer to open CorelDraw files.

Its not necessary to write CDR-Files. Only import to Affinity Designer so I can save it in the Affinity Designer Format.

The reason is, in the earlier days - exactly since CorelDraw 4 I have worked with CDR a lot for my private things like surprise my wife with Corel-Paintings and other things. A few years ago I changed to MAC and there was no CDR. Nowadays there is a CDR - BUT only subscription model for the MAC. If I would use the subscription model I would pay more in one year than for all versions since version 4. And I always used the older Versions of CDR (only CDR) because they were cheaper than the whole suite. I still have a lot of .cdr-files and I would like to activate them in Affinity Designer. Of course, I do not know if there are copyright or other restrictions only for importing into Affinity Designer.  But I would be very happy to revive the old cdr-files in Affinity Designer.

With a big thank you for Photo; Designer and Publisher.

George

--- Das ist meine Meinung und keine Rechtsberatung ---

--- This is my opinion and no legal advice ---

8 minutes ago, jayjay said:

Nowadays there is a CDR - BUT only subscription model for the MAC.

It is only subscription on the app store - if you purchase off their web site there is a perpetual license available: https://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/ppc/coreldraw/mac

I wish Apple would go back to forbidding subscriptions on the app store; they are resulting in lots of issues like this.  Right now CorelDraw on the app store has a two star rating out of 60 ratings and most of it (if you read the comments) is from might-have-been-users complaining about the subscription model.

I completely agree... There are two very strong camps in the US: Adobe Suite and Corel Suite. Corel has in the past, been the more intuitive program. However, it has also become quite buggy... That said, I'd like AD to be my main design app for workflow, but without the ability to convert the 1000+ Corel drawings, I'm somewhat hosed. Exporting to other formats as an intermediary is not clean.

With so many file format suport requests I think Serif should work on supporting additional file formats through a plugin model. I know most just want format X or Y but this would allow 3rd parties to implement such support and people could select only the format they actually need instead of getting an ever larger bundle.

I'm definitely not invalidating this suggestion but only thinking that a broader approach could solve more similar issues.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

2 hours ago, Lmpessoa said:

With so many file format suport requests I think Serif should work on supporting additional file formats through a plugin model.

Basically your suggestion seems to be pragmatic. There is one problem, though: the Affinity file format is at the moment a closed format. It is not publicly documented. So how should 3rd parties know how to translate the different formats to Affinity's file format?

Another problem: there are no plugins for AD.

I am not against your suggestion. I just want to point out that it may take quite some time until something like this might become real.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

14 hours ago, dominik said:

So how should 3rd parties know how to translate the different formats to Affinity's file format?

With a plugin model, presumably the Affinity applications themselves would expose a common document model to the plugins, so the existing Serif code would handle those details and the plugins wouldn't care.  I agree that supporting file import/export plugins would be a nice plus, and should be quite feasible.

43 minutes ago, fde101 said:

With a plugin model, presumably the Affinity applications themselves would expose a common document model to the plugins, so the existing Serif code would handle those details and the plugins wouldn't care.  I agree that supporting file import/export plugins would be a nice plus, and should be quite feasible.

So, it would be the best if we get plug-ins originallz written for Affinitty trio than adopting Photoshop's or some others and have problems with them.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

With a plugin model, presumably the Affinity applications themselves would expose a common document model to the plugins, so the existing Serif code would handle those details and the plugins wouldn't care.

This, of course is correct. I was referring to the current situation with an undocumented file format.

After all I am confident that eventually we will see something like plugins and scripting and perhaps even an API. But I suspect this will take its time.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

4 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

So, it would be the best if we get plug-ins originallz written for Affinitty trio than adopting Photoshop's or some others and have problems with them.

... to continue:

maybe it would be even better if A-Team implement most wanted plug-ins as native features in the appropraite apps.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

39 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

maybe it would be even better if A-Team implement most wanted plug-ins as native features in the appropraite apps.

We do not know what Serif's plans are.

The only evidence we have that Serif is open to 3rd partie's contributions is plug-ins in APh.

Cheers,
d.

57 minutes ago, dominik said:

We do not know what Serif's plans are.

Of course we don't.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, fde101 said:

It is only subscription on the app store - if you purchase off their web site there is a perpetual license available: https://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/ppc/coreldraw/mac

I wish Apple would go back to forbidding subscriptions on the app store; they are resulting in lots of issues like this.  Right now CorelDraw on the app store has a two star rating out of 60 ratings and most of it (if you read the comments) is from might-have-been-users complaining about the subscription model.

Corel's Mac version is the kind of junk where you end up uninstalling it after just a few minutes messing with the demo.  It's that bad.  It's better to continue using the Windows version via Parallels or boot camp.  As for the subscription model, every step Corel takes is in the direction of going 100% subscription as soon as they are confident that they can pull it off.  But this should be the truth of any company that has making money as a goal. I can't fault them for that.  I do fault them for selling really poor quality software.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Has there been any movement toward the ability to import CorelDraw files into Affinity Designer?  I have been a CorelDraw user since CD3 (yes, I meant three) but switched to Affinity over a year ago.  It would be very useful to be able to import any of the CD files, but all of them would be heavenly. 

• 1 year later...