You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why doesn't Affinity Designer display objects placed on the pasteboard?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DesignerUK, in illustrator the area outside of your document is called the "pasteboard". Typically on a complex project you'll have scraps of shapes and/or ideas not used stored there off to the sides.

• 2 years later...

I hope this feature will be changed soon (it's really scary when parts of your work seemingly disappear).

Meanwhile I've found that using artboards is a nice temporary workaround for this behavior - just create an artboard dedicated to being an 'pasteboard'.

• Staff

Hi begem0t,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is an old thread from 2014. You can already place objects on the pasteboard area for both regular documents (go to menu View ▸ View Mode and uncheck Clip to Canvas if it's not already unchecked) and artboard based documents (just drag the objects to the pasteboard area).

• 4 years later...

Unfortunately, turning off 'Clip to Canvas' has almost 0 effect on this issue. I was designing a 3000x1000mm banner and was frustrated that I couldn't see artwork placed around the edge of the design on pasteboard and after finding this answer I believed it would make it all reappear again.

Instead, it unveiled a sliver of extra pasteboard. In other word...useless. 🤷‍♂️

I'll keep searching for an answer.

• Staff

Hi @subsquare,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Can you give us more details about the document and application you are using please? Are you using Affinity Designer (as stated in the title of this thread) and with what type of document  a regular (single) canvas document or an artboard based document?

Seems you are using Publisher and page documents instead if i understood your description correctly...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't see any of the items I moved to the pasteboard. It just disappears. I tried "Clip to Canvas", and really, what does "Clip to canvas" mean anyway?

Update: Ok, I got it to work. You have to make sure the page is selected in the Page palette before going to View and then making sure Clip to Canvas is not checked. But I would still like to know what Clip to Canvas means.

image.png

Edited by Gsk01

10 minutes ago, Gsk01 said:

This is crazy, I can't see any of the items I moved to the pasteboard. It just disappears. I tried "Clip to Canvas", and really, what does "Clip to canvas" mean anyway?

Hi and welcome to the forums. That command means crop the viewable area to the canvas.

Canvas is a term that makes more sense in Photo than Publisher or Designer but it's a good name because the alternative would be too long. e.g., "Hide Objects and the Parts of Objects that are Outside of the Trim Box or Bleed Zone, Depending on Whether you have Bleed Set"

I can't find any issues with this feature. Can you share more details on the problem you're experiencing? I've attached a screen recording showing how it works, with bleed on and off in Publisher. It works the same in Designer. 

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

2 hours ago, Gsk01 said:

But I would still like to know what Clip to Canvas means.

Help (after opening the online version at https://affinity.help and doing a search for clip to canvashttps://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/clipToCanvas.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I've attached a screen recording showing how it works, with bleed on and off in Publisher. It works the same in Designer. 

Was it fixed in AD v2 for documents with artboards? To me in V1 the Clip to Canvas option is always active although it is unticked (+ grayed out). Furthermore there is no way to show any content inside the bleed area, though it gets exported successfully.

artboardbleedV1.jpg.2e3430a610f3e234f1f1dd4dd7ebada6.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1