You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - RC1)

Hey all, I have stealth-edited ( :ph34r:) Andy's initial post to include links to 32 video tutorials covering the new features. These videos are currently unlisted, and will become public when 1.5 is officially released. For now, though, I hope they help with understanding some of 1.5's new functionality, and I will of course continue to add more after 1.5's launch. Enjoy!

well thanks for the videos overall and especially the embedded 360 images in one canvas were really cool to see

I´ll also definitely try your suggestion of using focus stacking instead of HDR merging and see how the results compare for bracketed exposures, pretty strange tip but seems to work as you showed, looked promising.

but there is especially one workflows that I don´t think is good to explain that way:

dust and scratches removal

- you use the filter destructively on the background layer and then use the undo brush - this is a bad workflow IMO

- much better would be to duplicate the layer, apply the effect and then mask the to layer, much more flexible this way...

is the wacom issue fixed where one was to able to move a curves point with the wacom tablet pen/ the curves would not update live?

I have my wacom tablet not around with me at the moment.

- hope to see curves improvement soon anyway  :)  :ph34r:

could you please explain how to use apply image like in PS? I watched your video but it does not resolve the question for me..

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27366-how-to-apply-image/?p=132734

cheers

Great work, folks. So much to play with and watch. I am still, however, experiencing the tools turning on and off when not docked (in Sierra).

See this post:  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27178-tools-turn-onoff-with-each-click/

Is that fix on schedule for another release? I hate docking my tools. I like to move them around.

MelG

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde

Great work!

I faced an issue while trying the HDR merge feature:

The image looks fine in Affinity Photo but after exporting it to either TIFF or JPEG the blacks turn white, cyan, magenta, etc. Same happens when converting the image format from 32bit RGB to 16bit RGB in the program itself.

Did I do anything wrong?

post-43501-0-01307900-1480062899_thumb.jpg

I am having problems with new pixel layers. I click on the icon to create a new pixel layer and want to paint colour or use it for a dodge and burn layer but when I try and fill the layer or paint on it, nothing happens. I do have the correct tool selected and have made sure the opacity and flow are set to 100...just to make sure something would happen.

has anyone else noticed this issue? I just downloaded the beta 1.5 RC1 the other day.

Jason

@CekariYH,

Click the Authorise Global button below the Plug-in Support Folders section then press Authorise again from the dialog that will open.

Try launching the plugins again and they should work.

OK, thanks. After some trial and error I understod that the second Authorise has to be at the map AP first open at the first Authorise, not very logical but at least it works now :-)

/CekariYH

English is a funny language, seldom it spells the words like I do...

I'm happy to see Photo Merge included as it'ss something I could use to improve my photos.

Sadly it looks it's charm when you can't Photo Merge by selecting images already opened. It's a bit of a pain to have to export from Lr to desktop and then go through Photo Merge.

And of course it would be awesome if worked better with images that have ended up being a slightly different size due a nudge on the camera or something.

crashdump.rtf

AP crashed when trying to open a zillion files. I accidentally selected "Open" instead of "New Focus Merge" and selected 139 files. After some time (I walked away after realizing my error), the application crashed. I don't actually have any desire to open 139 files for editing, but: (1) a way to abort the operation would be nice. I just got the spinning ball and did not see any way out, and (2) obviously any behavior other than a crash would be desirable.

Thanks

Peter

Sorry if this has been asked before but is Touchbar support for the new MacBook Pro's going to be in this release? I didn't see it in the list of changes but I'm pretty sure I heard version 1.5 would be adding it. 

In the presences there are a setting for Touch Bar so I'm pretty sure it has it already. 

/CekariYH

I'm happy to see Photo Merge included as it'ss something I could use to improve my photos.

Sadly it looks it's charm when you can't Photo Merge by selecting images already opened. It's a bit of a pain to have to export from Lr to desktop and then go through Photo Merge.

And of course it would be awesome if worked better with images that have ended up being a slightly different size due a nudge on the camera or something.

Even Photoshop requires that the files is saved before such things can be used, but once saved all the files opened can be used. So, no need to close them, just make a macro that saves all files then one can start playing...

I have no idea yet how AP does though.

/CekariYH

Even Photoshop requires that the files is saved before such things can be used, but once saved all the files opened can be used. So, no need to close them, just make a macro that saves all files then one can start playing...

I have no idea yet how AP does though.

The files are already saved when opening them from Lightroom (as TIFF files for me) . So ideally when you go to File>New Focus Merge you should have a check box that says "show currently open files" or similar so you could use those files.

Hope that makes sense.

When saving EXR I found a bug. 

So, what I do is open EXR and then save it again via export function, the straight save doesn't seem to be supported yet.

What happen is that the RGB and A channel seem to get lost, I can't get it again working in other application.. all other channels work well.

Also I found it quite strange that when opening and saving an EXR 16bit, I see only the option to save it as 32bit, but it then get saved as 16bit like it was before. 

Great stuff! Loving it!

But I noticed in the 360 Live Projection view, I drag down to look down, which seems the opposite of everywhere else (example Google Street View, Flickr, Facebook). I am used to dragging down to look up (as you effectively drag the canvas down). Maybe should be an option to do inverse?

Cheers,

JJ

Sorry if this has been asked before but is Touchbar support for the new MacBook Pro's going to be in this release? I didn't see it in the list of changes but I'm pretty sure I heard version 1.5 would be adding it. 

Preferences > User Interface has an "Enable touch bar support" option

The files are already saved when opening them from Lightroom (as TIFF files for me) . So ideally when you go to File>New Focus Merge you should have a check box that says "show currently open files" or similar so you could use those files.

Hope that makes sense.

Are you opening those TIFFs via LR or from disk into AP?

/CekariYH

When I do panoramas straight from Nikon .nef files, the resulting pano is rendered in sRGB color space even though I have Profoto RGB set as default in preferences. If I develop the pano parts and export as tif, then the render is indeed in Profoto. Accoriding to fellow forum member Fixx, version 1.43 MAS is correctly assigning profiles to panos straight from nefs. Bug? (See end of thread, "Panorama Exposure" in the Questions subforum.)

Lloyd

Guys, loving the sound of this update and the good vibes surrounding it! I love Affinity!

And I have to admit, hearing about the Inkdropper was an INSTANT download click for me.

Unfortunately, I keep hitting this error when trying to launch: "Affinity Photo Beta quit unexpectedly." It's strange, because I swear I actually had that error recently with regular AP, but I updated it in the App Store and rebooted and it was fine. Not sure how to get this beta to work... I've had betas in the past work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1.5 App Store version(when released) will overwrite 1.4 when you update. You can prevent this by copying Affinity Photo from your Application folder before updating. The beta 1.5 can be installed at the same time as App Store 1.4 as they use different names.

Thanks for this information. Now that the App Store version is out, I plan to download it so I'll do what you suggested to preserve V. 1.4.

I have another question -- once I download V. 1.5 will it "take over" all the AP preferences in the user preferences folder? I'm thinking I should make copies of those too and separate them from the user preferences folder so I can restore my ability to use V1.4 as before.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.