You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug? I cannot use the marquee tool to copy & paste areas into new layers

• Staff

Hi Hofnaar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure the layer you are working with is a (Pixel) layer rather than an (Image) layer type. You can check this looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel. In case it's an Image layer type, right-click on it in the Layers panel and select Rasterise... to convert it to a Pixel layer. You can then select, copy and paste pixel data from it to new layers.

Image layer types are considered objects (they retain all original image attributes) and cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level.

This confused the heck out of me for a half hour until I wound up here discovering that I had to convert the image layer to pixel.

It seems and odd design decision, and it's not documented in the help files (and least, not under anything that mentions cutting and pasting).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.