You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem Using Mask

I was following a tutorial for using a Quick Mask to change the eye color on an owl.  I followed the exact steps as given below.:

1.  Open the big eyed owl photo
2.  Toggle the mask on (mask overlay selected on dropdown menu)
3.  Set the Hardness to zero
4.  Select the Paint Brush tool from the toolbar

Next I attempt to "paint" over the eyes on the red overlay but nothing happens.  I do not get the "preview" that the tutorial mentions either. I get a cursor that's a round circle with a cross in the middle.

The strange thing is, it worked the first time I tried it.  Went back to do the tutorial again to reinforce what I learned  but I was never able to get it to work again.  I have tried at least 20+ times and nothing I do will let me paint over the mask. Some said the fill color must be white so I tried that. I tried black, and I tried other colors.

I am attaching a screen capture to show my settings.  I'm sure it's something I've clicked on but I don't know what. 

post-28632-0-27295800-1479763417_thumb.png

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Thank you!!!   That was it!!   I don't recall checking it but obviously, I did.  I've never used masks before when working on a photo so I don't quite understand it all but I really want to learn.  I love the Affinity line and the great support!  Thanks again!!!

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.