You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Store Account Creation And Order/license Queries

• Staff

Hi krasitsky,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The prices we have on Affinity Store are kept synchronised with the ones  displayed for the Mac App Store, otherwise it wouldn't be fair for users running OSX. Since Apple doesn't use bank rates directly for their prices (there's other factors involved), the price you see on our store also doesn't reflect them.

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi krasitsky,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The prices we have on Affinity Store are kept synchronised with the ones  displayed for the Mac App Store, otherwise it wouldn't be fair for users running OSX. Since Apple doesn't use bank rates directly for their prices (there's other factors involved), the price you see on our store also doesn't reflect them.

Thanks for quick answer. It's sad.

Hello,

I do plan to use my Trial Version to test Affinity Photo out and be interested to purchase it also - just want to see the first result. How long is the current promotion with the bonus available as I read something about 16. November?

Thanks for your feedback.

Seems approval by Mods need ages of time ....

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @CutieN. :)

8 minutes ago, CutieN said:

Well saw the Post for the Promotion lasting only till 16th November for new purchase too late. Then gonna wait for the next one.

The last collection of bonus content was also available to users who had previously purchased the product. I would be surprised if the next promotion doesn't work in a similar way, so if you want the product and you're happy to pay the current price then you might as well buy it now.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello @Alfred

well the price indeed is no issue and what I have discovered during the weekend with my "trying" out was for me quite positive. I have to admit I am new to use such a good Photo Program - I have read about Affinity Photo in a German Magazine which also include some Videos how to use it - also the videos available here. Unluckily I am located in China (Shenzhen) and Hong Kong whereas in China it is not possible to access Vimeo without a VPN.

Hello @Alfred & all others,

I have finally purchased Affinity Photo - thanks to all the additional information I found here in the Forum. It was - as predicted by you - so lucky to get the Bonus Content too. Furthermore I could download quite a lot of Videos via VPN to here - which is still quite troublesome here in China.

Furthermore I also found the possible good Videos available in Udemy from @drippy cat there. I think the beginners guide is worth to do and at least this is able to work here.

On 25.11.2016 at 9:42 AM, Christian Schl said:

Hi everybody,

I just purchased the Windows Version of Affinity Designer after really loving to work with the Beta Version.

I now do have the problem that the installation fails.

The note that I receive when I type in my e-mail address and the product key says that it is rather an invalid e-mail address or a wrong product key.

I doublechecked both and they are correct yet the installation still fails.

What can I do?

I need to work with the program on a current project.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hey Christian, i have the same problem..how did you solved the Problem?

On 30/11/2017 at 2:23 PM, taaninka said:

Hi,

I would like to buy two books but it is not possible to order it at once, Affinity Photo Workbook and Affinity Designer Workbook.

Do I need to buy them separately and pay two shipping costs or how can I order it in one?

thanks.

Please see Patrick Connor’s post here.

Alfred spacer.png

Would love to play with Affinity Photo on my iMac desktop.

Followed a review link and it at $49 on the App Store, so thought it would be around £36 in the UK... no, £49. A bit miffed  :(

Also found a few discount codes, but no way to enter them on the app store...

Any way of achieving parity with US pricing, up-coming offers, or ways of applying discount codes?

Thx.

2 hours ago, NielsRey said:

Would love to play with Affinity Photo on my iMac desktop.

Followed a review link and it at $49 on the App Store, so thought it would be around £36 in the UK... no, £49. A bit miffed  :(
Thx.

I forget the reason, but I remember there was a discussion that the UK currency had to be increased being of an issue that was faced. Sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully someone can refresh my memory in what that was.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

4 hours ago, NielsRey said:

Followed a review link and it at $49 on the App Store, so thought it would be around £36 in the UK... no, £49.

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

I forget the reason, but I remember there was a discussion that the UK currency had to be increased being of an issue that was faced. Sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully someone can refresh my memory in what that was.

It's due to Apple using dishonest exchange rates.  I seem to upset people when I point this out though.

33 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Apple's pricing is based not just on the currency exchange rate but also on its cost of doing business in each country. Because it has a physical presence (brick & mortar Apple Stores, warehousing & distribution facilities, customer support centers, etc.) & employees physically located in so many different countries, the costs include anything related to that, including complying with a country's employee compensation & benefits laws; compliance with its laws for real estate use; & a variety of other costs like electric utility rates, fuel costs, & so on.

Instead of amortizing those costs on a worldwide basis as some companies do, they do it country by country. Economy of scale also is involved, so customers in countries with high overall sales volume benefit more from that amortization than those in countries with lower volumes.

Basically, it is the "physical presence" thing that makes Apple's cost of doing business so different in different parts of the world. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Apple's pricing is based not just on the currency exchange rate but also on its cost of doing business in each country. Because it has a physical presence (brick & mortar Apple Stores, warehousing & distribution facilities, customer support centers, etc.) & employees physically located in so many different countries, the costs include anything related to that, including complying with a country's employee compensation & benefits laws; compliance with its laws for real estate use; & a variety of other costs like electric utility rates, fuel costs, & so on.

Instead of amortizing those costs on a worldwide basis as some companies do, they do it country by country. Economy of scale also is involved, so customers in countries with high overall sales volume benefit more from that amortization than those in countries with lower volumes.

Basically, it is the "physical presence" thing that makes Apple's cost of doing business so different in different parts of the world. 

Haha, it sounds like Apple have pretended to have thought this through - if only I believed them...

Sadly, I believe their reasoning is totally disingenuous and just another contrivance to rip off UK customers. If Apple also factored in that they [allegedly] pay only 'nominal' tax in the UK, perhaps they should think about giving the app away to UK customers?

Interesting to see that the iOS version of Affinity Photo can be currently had for $9.99 (£7.48) on the App Store - I think I read somewhere it's directly a comparable and equivalent product to the desktop version in terms of functionality, so why the big price difference?

I'll keep a lookout for a discount offer or sale, but, as an interested hobbyist and digital arts teacher, I can't justify the £50 cost - and I'm still less inclined to buy if it means propping up Apple's cynical exploitation of tax laws.

1 hour ago, NielsRey said:

Sadly, I believe their reasoning is totally disingenuous and just another contrivance to rip off UK customers.

If that were the case, they wouldn't also be charging more to customers in Australia, Norway and Poland, but less to customers in several other countries.

1 hour ago, NielsRey said:

Interesting to see that the iOS version of Affinity Photo can be currently had for $9.99 (£7.48) on the App Store - I think I read somewhere it's directly a comparable and equivalent product to the desktop version in terms of functionality, so why the big price difference?

The $9.99 price is a 'flash sale' price, only available for another day or so: the usual price is twice as much. There are also some functional differences, but I don't remember the details offhand.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

If that were the case, they wouldn't also be charging more to customers in Australia, Norway and Poland, but less to customers in several other countries.

Apple is also charging most U.S. customers more than the $50 (or whatever) U.S. price you see advertised. That is because in the U.S. sales taxes are itemized separately & tacked onto the bill. Each state & region is different, so for example as a Texas resident I pay an additional 8% in state sales taxes & another 1/4 of 1% in local taxes, all because Apple has a local physical presence here. It is the same for me for all Amazon purchases, because Amazon has a huge regional distribution center in the county.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Apple is also charging most U.S. customers more than the $50 (or whatever) U.S. price you see advertised. That is because in the U.S. sales taxes are itemized separately & tacked onto the bill. Each state & region is different, so for example as a Texas resident I pay an additional 8% in state sales taxes & another 1/4 of 1% in local taxes, all because Apple has a local physical presence here. It is the same for me for all Amazon purchases, because Amazon has a huge regional distribution center in the county. 

Because I highly regard Serif as a company, like how they operate and obviously find the software that they produce to be really good, it obviously won't deter me from recommending that people still buy the software regardless because it's still without doubt worth the price.  However I find Apple's current pricing for consumers outside of the US to be dishonest and no amount of defending their pricing model will make it right.  Only Apple themselves can make it right by revising their pricing.

Amazon for example are also a US company with a physical presence in the UK, they employ over 14,000 people in the UK and have huge warehouses and distribution facilities, yet their products both physical and digital are still priced fairly in the UK.  If you look at my examples, it's only Apple who are charging these types of prices in the UK, no-one else, and up until the beginning of 2017 even Apple themselves were charging a more reasonable $49.99/£39.99, which everyone was OK with.

How much tax US citizens pay is none of my concern as taxing systems are complex, however even if you add on the 'Texas tax' to bump the price to say $54, the price difference is still way off as $54 is still only £40.33.  Unfortunately unlike when Apple were found guilty in court of conspiring with book publishers to fix e-book prices so that consumers paid more for books, using unfair exchange rates doesn't appear to be illegal, so the only avenue consumers have to pursue when large corporations push the boundaries of what is reasonable is to openly criticize their practices, much in the same way people do with Adobe. 

6 minutes ago, Sima said:

However I find Apple's current pricing for consumers outside of the US to be dishonest and no amount of defending their pricing model will make it right.

Just to be clear about it, I am neither defending nor condemning Apple's pricing policies, just explaining that they factor in much more than currency exchange rates into it. That said, I think characterizing it as "dishonest" is a bit much.

It is undeniably true that the cost of doing business around the world varies greatly, that economies of scale, local regulations & laws, & all the rest of it contribute to that. There is nothing inherently dishonest or unfair about passing those costs onto buyers on a per country or regional basis.

Affinity Photo 

I forget where she told me she was from, but someone online told me that Macs where she lives is averaged to 26,000. While there must be legal exceptions, that doesn't seem right at all.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

I forget where she told me she was from, but someone online told me that Macs where she lives is averaged to 26,000.

To 26,000 what?

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

Just to be clear about it, I am neither defending nor condemning Apple's pricing policies, just explaining that they factor in much more than currency exchange rates into it. That said, I think characterizing it as "dishonest" is a bit much.

I don't know what other term would be more applicable than "using dishonest exchange rates". 

$100 is currently equal to £74.68.  You're a UK consumer looking to buy Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 for example.  Which of these companies would you consider to be using honest exchange rates and which of these would you consider to be using dishonest exchange rates?

Company A:
$99.99
£86.56

Company B:
$99.99
£82.95

Company C:
$99.99
£83.49

Company D:
$99.99
£99.99

-------------------------------
Company A = Adobe
Company B = Amazon
Company C = Microsoft
Company D = Apple

Just now, Sima said:

I don't know what other term would be more applicable than "using dishonest exchange rates". 

Apple's per country pricing structure is not determined only by the currency exchange rate. They make no secret of that.

Affinity Photo 

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

To 26,000 what?

I'm not sure, but I found a website in which Apple computers are being sold for that same price. https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/apple-macbook-pro-14895432855.html