You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am started use Affinity Designer trial version. It's very cool product, but i can't work without normal "Magic Wand" tool. Adobe Photoshop have "magic wand" tool with selecting color and setting tolerance. I want use only Affinity Designer but can't this without "magic wand"  and bug when connect or disconnect thunderbolt display to macbook.

Help me find the equivalent tool in Affinity Designrer, please?

Thank!

• Staff

Hi Iriskin,

The closest thing to the Magic Wand tool in Affinity Designer is the selection brush tool that can be found in the Pixel Persona :) (see attached )

C

post-12469-0-56164900-1479739384_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum.
Thank! After setting "Refine Selection" the Selection Bruch Tool closest thing to Magic Wand. But i can't select all tolerance color of the layer to one click, if his divided another color(

Tell me please - how i can transform Pen Path (Pen Toll) to selection?

1.) make sure your pen path has a fill

2.) make sure your pen path layer is active

3.) choose Select/Selection from layer

M

I cant't find Select/Selection from layer in Affinity Designer. This menu i have seen only in Affinity Photo.

I got true result after those steps:

1) Create pen path (pen has a fill)

2) Rasterise layer width pen path

3) Use "select brush tool" or "Select/Select simpled colour"

It's very uncomfortable. A many lot of actions. Why Affinity Designer don't have context menu or button "Make Selection"(from pen path) in Pixel Personal mode  :(  May be i dont't have experience in Affinity Designer.

You can create a pixel outline selection from any layer object (whether open or closed, filled or not) by holding down the Command key (Mac) & clicking on its thumbnail in the Layers panel. This will create a "marching ants" dotted line marquee around the edge of the shape. Keep in mind that this is a pixel selection, so only the Pixel persona tools like the Flood Fill (a.k.a. "paint bucket"), Eraser, or Paint Brush tools will affect it.

Delete the section marquee with the Command + D (Mac) keyboard shortcut. It is independent of any layer object selection, so the escape key shortcut will not 'unselect' it.

I think what MJSfoto1956 might have been referring to is the Output section at the bottom of the Refine Selection window. You have a choice of outputting the refined selection to a selection (a marching ants marquee), a mask, a new layer, or a new layer with mask.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7