You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] CDR files (CorelDRAW) import

I would certainly like to see a CorelDraw (.CDR) importer in Designer too!  There are more users, and ex-users, of CorelDraw than people think.  I would like to see import functionality added for versions 10 - current for .cdr files. 

Hey guys,

Make the Affinity Designer able to import filesfrom CorelDraw (CDR files), because Corel has many users on the Windows platform, maybe we are more in number than the total users of Adobe Illustrator throughout the Mac platform.

You can export in corel to SVG, I use embedded text and images in png. So i can edit complete on Affinity and them save again as SVG or AD propietary.

Is not the fast solution but work it

I could like to see this too. It is rare but sometimes people sent me corel files and I could love to save me the time to ask them for pdf or svg.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

I had the same problem, wanting to import / export files to CorelDraw.

Britepencil answered me:

Export as vector: EPS,

CorelDraw

1. conical gradient change to solid color very odd, but can be edited back

2. linear gradient remained in tact and editable

3. text auto converted to outline and each letter was separated, odd again

CS6:

1. conical gradient change to solid color very odd, but expected since ai does not have this ability, but could be edited

2. linear gradient changed to bitmap: not good

3. text auto converted to outline and each letter was separated, odd again

see other post regarding cut and paste

You can read the full thread here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28951-missing-features/

Yes, you can export .cdr files as eps, ai, etc, but that assumes one has access to a copy of draw.  If not, and you have an archive of files you would like to use again, or a client provides you with only .cdr file you need a path to import native .cdr files

As for client work, I have found it best practice to use what they use. The only exception to that is when I am given control of what I use or use my preference but then port to their preferred application for final work or simply use it as a glorified file converter.

• 1 month later...

You can export in corel to SVG, I use embedded text and images in png. So i can edit complete on Affinity and them save again as SVG or AD propietary.

Is not the fast solution but work it

I bought the Affinity Designer with the intention to no longer depend on other software like CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator, otherwise it would be just another software, there would be no reason to purchase it (even more so considering the fact that the CorelDraw can import EPS files, AI, etc).

eduguedes,

Hello and welcome to the forums as you appear to be rather new. I can understand your frustration about having to keep and run multiple software titles but that is to be expected. If you had ever experienced a software transition, you would know that you always have to keep the old software around (at least for a while) until you get things moved over to your new software. I think you have unrealistic expectations if you think that you can use one software package for a long time and then suddenly drop it and start using another one and expect the new package to open everything that was created in the old software. Transitioning old projects over takes time and effort and it isn't without challenges. While it is challenging sometimes, it is worth it in the end. Designer is a great piece of software and after a little work and time you should be able to ditch CorelDraw completely (as long as you have moved all of your old Corel files over to Designer). Why not just save out your old CorelDraw files as PDF and open them up in Designer?

Best of luck,

Hokusai

I do really enjoy Affinity Designer. I find it easy to use and a solid replacement for Draw, AI etc.  I have been using and testing a range of software packages and using a new one is not that bad in my opinion.  I have been using a Mac for years past the utility of Draw and do not have the ability to use it as a medium for converting files to PDF, eps, svg, etc. Plus I think as others have mentioned upon some of these conversion the files are not exactly the same.  Thus it would be fantastic to have native .cdr import functionality in Designer.  Thanks!

RockDoc,

Are you using a Mac that is running Classic (OS 9 or before)? If you are running any version of OS X then you can make PDF files if you are running CorelDraw in OS X. I don't remember when Corel pulled out of the Mac market, maybe it was pre-OS X but I thought that they made at least one version for OS X. Here is a link to a statement made by Tony, https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10884-support-cdr-files/?p=46547

Hokusai