You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

not happy?

You must not look too closely. This is in human nature. Most of them will be happy. Some people want things they have been used to in other programs. A few complain because they want to have something improved. A few want to have it all but it must not cost anything. This is normal, it is the same everywhere.

Rig:Board: GigaByte Z97X-Gaming 3 ,CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, GPU: GeForce GTX 970, RAM: 16 GB / 2 x Crucial BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24 5-39-12-6), Display: ACI VS248 24" 1920x1080, 60Hz, OS:Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, Main HDD: ADATA SP900 (256GB, SATA600, SSD), driver always up to date. :)

I don't look at the Feature Request section quite the same, I guess.

Yes, people want X Y Z features added. This has little (or nothing) to do with bad human nature. The applications are new. They will have features added to them over time because they do not contain what even Serif sees they need.

The applications are billed as Professional software. While one can debate the meaning of that word, it does carry a minimum of gravitas when Serif products are compared to other in-class software. Because most of those software applications have been around a lot longer than Serif's Affinity line, they by nature tend to have more features.

Serif provided this forum section to elicit peoples' feature requests as it will help shape what the future of Serif's applications go.

When there are complaints (like text wrapping around objects in Designer), the arguments are from both a practical and philosophical viewpoint. And when Serif staff shoot down the idea, yes, that's when arguments can become heated--that is because people have a vested interest in the ideas where this happens. That part is human nature. But this doesn't (shouldn't) invalidate the idea or feature request.

Mike

but why ask for premium if you don't want to pay for premium (PS).

It may apply to you that pricing is a critical factor.

There's other users who have totally different reasons to avoid / escape Adobe's Software rental and actually had no issues to pay more. Setting up pricing was entirely up to Serif though...

I think that negative, even harsh feedback may be very useful for Software makers too.There's certainly nothing wrong in asking for additional Features.

Looking at all the requests I get the impression that no one is satisfied. I think it's a very good program, although there are some glitches, but why ask for premium if you don't want to pay for premium (PS).

With this attitude we all could be happy with Photoshop Elements.

the impression that no one is satisfied.

There are not many purchasers that are not satisfied (see the MAS). :) But for example as a «professional graphic design software” “Expand Stroke” should do much better like in apps that costs nothing. People spent much time to report such bugs and feature requests, creating snapshots and movies, helping others and get unsatisfied because they cannot use Affinity professionally because those bugs are not corrected after years. Probably most of the professionals still use PS&Co.

One could also see this as an evolution on both sides.  First, we had beta available for us to test and help Serif identify and work out bugs to get a functional program out to the public.  Now that it's released, choose whether or not you want to pay for it.  I, for one, am happy to jump at the chance to ditch Adobe and go for a good contender that offers a perpetual license for a one-time cost.  If by "premium," you mean to say that it can't hold a candle to Photoshop, I can't really address this, as I've not gotten familiar enough with Affinity to say.  That said, if by Serif asking us for feature requests means that we get their product to evolve into something we feel really is a true contender to Photoshop or some other Adobe product, and they act on those requests, then both sides win.  Even if they add features and call it Affinity <insert product name here> 2.0 and sell it at the same price again or at an increased price, then we still win.  It sure beats the heck out of a subscription.

That said, as it stands for me, Photoshop is still on top (time will tell as I get more familiar with Affinity), but I've already found free alternatives to Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Acrobat that I find more capable.  Photoshop and InDesign are really the only products left that I find are worth keeping, until something better comes along.  I also only use my CS3 for now, as I don't and won't bother with subscriptions and skipped the later versions.  As soon as I can ditch Adobe I will and it won't matter if they go back to perpetual licenses (which I know they won't).  I would gladly pay a little more (or in this case, a little less) not to have to deal with Adobe again.

The notion that people don't want to pay for premium is rather off.  Sure, some won't pay more than they can afford or would otherwise pay and, for that matter, some would even steal it if they can.  Most of us who pay and work professionally with programs like this would actually consider paying more, but we didn't set the price and are likely glad to see we're not getting shafted by paying a lot for a program that's likely to evolve greatly in the coming months/years.

I don't often call my mechanic when the car works fine, and I don't call my designer when the website does everything I want.

You contact these people when there are features you'd like to see in the product you want to use.

I like Affinity's software, I like the way they run, mostly, but there are things they do that are weird, features that I think should be in there or work differently, and things that are bugs.  

We're not complaining and I think you're looking at this from a really weird perspective if you think we are.  We're collaboratively attempting to build a better product.

I think you all misunderstood. And may be I'm in the wrong section.

I was looking at a completely new program  for adjusting my photographs  (in Windows) and see people asking for features like  the PS features, a program existing for over 3 decades, I had the idea : give them some time, and those features will appear.

So, don't mind me, enjoy.