You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to UN-embed an embedded file? Cut/Paste is Buggy.

Is it possible to UN-embed an embedded file?  I placed an Illustrator file into the AFD design and I would like to use the vector shapes in my ADF design, NOT just edit the embedded file or edit the components out. 

The only work around that I see is to edit the embedded file and then CUT the components to the AFD design.  Seems reasonable, but doing so there is a Bug.

When doing so, the colors of the Pasted objects are changed completely.  Not sure if this is a Bug?  So, maybe there is a function that allows the user to Un-embed the object?

See attached screenprint for the color glitch.

post-42744-0-51528400-1479704771_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Mahogan,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The colour change is probably due to the colour profile conversion (the colour profile of the document you embedded and the one you select fro you document don't match).

Regarding accessing the objects directly, just open the ai file using the File ▸ Open command as NeilP suggested, or drag it to the pasteboard area or over the main toolbar area to open it as a new document rather than embed it in the current document.

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I tried opening the Illustrator file directly and it is fine.  Also tried it with a PDF.  Either one, when cutting and pasting those objects, the colors do change drastically.  I checked the color profiles to see if there is a difference, but these are the same.  Attached is a PDF, if you want to try out to see if you get the same color issue to compare color profiles.  Mine shows that it assigns a profile "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) V2" which is the same as the document that it is pasted into.  Tried it with several other files from Illustrator and created new blank files in AD and pasted the components, compared the profiles (the all seem the same) but the colors are different each time.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

2004 Aerolite for Print Cut.pdf

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.