You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As far as I can see in the video, there is nothing special about it:

• Place your tracing background and set its opacity in the layers panel to 50%

• Lock this layer with the lock button or cmd+L

• Add a new Layer

• In the colour panel set the fill colour to none and the line color to black

• Use the pen tool to trace (maybe adjust the line width) – that’s it.

Or did you mean anything else?

I understand what they say but in Illustrator not working that way, it is very complicated to do this for large works as it says MacPinguin,  is what I mean, I can not explain well, English is not my forte, but should put more attention to the video is not the same.

Thanks for responding MEB, really what I speak, I try to write to see if you understand: in the last video, image (picture) in the background is placed, then becomes "template" layer, this means it can work with the photo in "outline" mode and no longer see the photo, this facilitates better see the line that is on the picture, and it is much faster to copy the color with the dropper. All this makes the route faster and is more accurate (I think) in Illustrator i use the shortcut "CMD + Y" to go to "outline" mode at all times. So do the last video tutorial. Sorry for my english, i hope you will understand, your app looks amazing but I think it lacks this option.

This is work done in Illustrator, try doing something in your app and I can not for lack of this option... IMAGE     Regards :) 

All this makes the route faster and is more accurate (I think) in Illustrator i use the shortcut "CMD + Y" to go to "outline" mode at all times. So do the last video tutorial. Sorry for my english, i hope you will understand, your app looks amazing but I think it lacks this option.

This is work done in Illustrator, try doing something in your app and I can not for lack of this option... IMAGE     Regards  :)

Hi yban, you can switch to this view in Affinity Designer using the "Outline view mode" button on the top toolbar or by using the "View > View Mode > Outline" menu command. I don't think there's a shortcut right now but it's worth suggesting one.

Dale.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Hi yban, you can switch to this view in Affinity Designer using the "Outline view mode" button on the top toolbar or by using the "View > View Mode > Outline" menu command. I don't think there's a shortcut right now but it's worth suggesting one.

Dale.

Thanks Dale, I know "Outline view mode", but that's not practical, I see that not everyone works like me, I think this "technique" suggesting slower to work, but i see that many use.

The option is missing in the layer, to put it as "template" then I can see the "Outline" mode with the shortcut CMD + Y and my picture on the bottom is still visible.

Sorry for my English again!!  XD Greetings!

• Staff

What Illustrator does when you place an image as a template is to lock down the layer with the image and reduce it's opacity to make the lines you draw more visible.

You can simulate this in Affinity Designer.

Here's how to do it:

1. Create a new document;

2. Drag the image you want to trace to the canvas;

3. In the Layers panel reduce the Opacity of the layer with the image to 75% or 60% as you prefer, and lock the layer;

4. Create a new vector layer (third icon counting from the right on the bottom of layers panel) - this is where you will draw the lines;

5. Now use the Pen Tool and/or Pencil Tool to trace over you image.

Here's a sample file to demonstrate this. You should draw on Lines layer.

Thank you MEB, the problem with your points (to what I say) I do not want opacity of 75 or 50%, I want to opacity 0, and changing the "Outline" mode to keep having the image visible. in "Affinity" switch to "Outline" mode and the background image can not be viewed.

Thanks for your patience guys, I can not explain it better, maybe make a video when you have time to see what I mean. Greetings!

Aaaah ok, cool thanks for that. A layer unaffected by outline view...

Exact Dale, finally! , thank you, i will be pending when they put this in an update, need a shortcut for the dropper also, in the mode "Outline" is very useful. Regards!  :D

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Nikko said:

Can we hope an update to work with outline mode and see a bitmap layer?

There have been a few requests for some method of excluding individual layers (not just raster image ones) from outline mode, but no word on if or when this will be implemented.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 11 months later...

Another year and even without this option, I am very interested in giving the change to the entire suite of Affinity, now with the next arrival of Publisher it gets better, but this basic and necessary option does not come, we are talking about saving several minutes of work. Reducing the opacity of the layers is not effective in terms of time.

I mean this, in Affinity it is much less comfortable doing it with the option to reduce the opacity of the layer, it would be much simpler if the contour mode would not affect my photo or I would ask to see it to continue working on it. Greetings, add this option to be completely with Affinity :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.