You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I am a bit new to this and perhaps I am over looking some vector logic here as I am used to photoshop but I am trying to trace an image and then fill it in. I draw a few lines with the pen tool but when I try to combine these lines into a single path the start and end join via straight lines and it looks horrible, how to I colour between my lines? do I need to have my lines merged? here are some pictures to illustrate.

ScreenShot2014-11-06at002350.png

ScreenShot2014-11-06at002415.png

Hi, I think, the easiest way to do this is leave your drawing lines as they are and not combine them.

Just create a separate new path for the fill area behind you drawing, which should be closed.

I’ve added a fast sketch to illustrate that (sorry for its uglyness)

post-1900-0-30913100-1415268275_thumb.png

• Staff

You can join curves selecting both paths, changing to Node Tool and dragging one of the end nodes over the other on the second path (make sure Snap to selected curves is activated in the Snap section on the context toolbar). Then click on Join Curves (Action section, 4º icon in context toolbar). 

Hi thanks mac penguin, I did think of that but seems like a pain to draw shapes for every little part especially if there's lots of curves? Ok MEB I will try that when I get home, I think I did something similar with the result being the same as above but I'll give it another go, cheers

Hi MEB the snapping works great but when I press join curves the ends still join creating diagonal line like above, I don't want to connect my curves end to end but end to middle as I would if I was drawing. I also wanted to keep the pressure as it is so that they're strokes joined together rather than one long stroke.