You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Designer & Photo] No revert option ?

• Staff

We have often had the debate internally about a revert feature. We just think the history slider usually will get you back to your original document and a revert feature would just make the menus longer. Perhaps we could add the feature but let people add it to a custom keyboard shortcut. Would this cover your use-case?

We have often had the debate internally about a revert feature. We just think the history slider usually will get you back to your original document and a revert feature would just make the menus longer. Perhaps we could add the feature but let people add it to a custom keyboard shortcut. Would this cover your use-case?

If it is to be added, it should be in the file menu where everything else that has Revert has it. I for one would welcome a Revert being added and it to be a file menu selection.

It should not be a keyboard shortcut.

Off the top of my head? I am working on my first cup of coffee for the day...

I may have a design open for adding some of its elements to new file or am trying to obtain the same/similar effects in a new file. This process, especially in AD where merely selecting something can move it and can cause a dirty document, opening the Effects for an object or layer dirties the document. If I inadvertently borrowed (or cut) some unwanted elements from this open design file, but need to continue borrowing, seeing effect settings, or comparing elements, it is easier (safer) to simply go back to the as opened state to ensure where I am in the process and/or ensure myself that the former file wasn't accidentally changed in the process.

The History panel is great, I like it. And it can be used for the same/similar effect. But it is another panel to open and, depending upon how many steps have been recorded, another list to scroll up to get back to the beginning. It is simply faster to Revert. 

The need has also been evident when I download one of Serif's customer/tester files. I will open the document, look to see if I can replicate the issue, perhaps save off as a new file. But in the process, their document has been changed and to ensure I am really looking at their file as downloaded, I have wanted to revert to obtain their original file state to compare to the new file I may have prepared.

Give me another cup of coffee and I can think of more examples...

Another quickie example as regards AD.

If I do have a file open and it becomes dirty, the history panel moved all the way back doesn't (didn't) unmark the document as dirty. One can all too easily save a changed file if not paying attention when closing if more than a couple files are opened, especially if there is only a slight change in the file name.

If I do have a file open and it becomes dirty, the history panel moved all the way back doesn't (didn't) unmark the document as dirty.

Yes, I complained about this during the AD beta. PhotoPlus also does this, but DrawPlus doesn't. If you roll back all of the changes you've made since opening the file, then the only scenario (IMO) in which the document should remain marked as 'dirty' is where you've turned on the 'Save History With Document' option.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)