You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection support?

All photos look like they have been taken with a purple filter on the lens...

Something interesting(?): this happened to me last night.

Editing a tif image converted in Capture One Pro 8 (resized to 1200px), I opened it in Viveza.

It opened at 50% and the colours were exactly as you describe: zooming in to 100% view, the colours corrected.

It happened repeatably on that file, but not on any others, including other Capture One conversions.

And this morning - no problem with that or any other file. But...For some files, the small Navigator window shows the same "purple filter" look.

viveza.jpg

Keith Reeder

Something interesting(?): this happened to me last night.

Editing a tif image converted in Capture One Pro 8 (resized to 1200px), I opened it in Viveza.

It opened at 50% and the colours were exactly as you describe: zooming in to 100% view, the colours corrected.

It happened repeatably on that file, but not on any others, including other Capture One conversions.

And this morning - no problem with that or any other file. But...For some files, the small Navigator window shows the same "purple filter" look.

viveza.jpg

What could be causing that to the previews? :(

Cool shot, by the way!

Oh WOW! It seems it does have something to do with the size of the pic!

I tried using the plugin (Viveza) with a picture taken with my phone, guess what, everything cool! Then again I tried with a little random image, worked too!

Please, could someone try that? Opening a couple of small pictures and checking the plugin's behaviour?

to me it occurs when I work on RAWs. I think it's about the way the RAWs are converted into a temp folder for the development and the way they are picked and handled by NIK . When I first save the file to jpeg or tiff, no violet issue shows up in Viveza.  

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 950 4 gb Memory

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm

I have the Nik plugins loaded in AP, but I haven't seen this problem mentioned in this thread.  

I don't see the Nik brushes in AP.  I have an old copy of PS, CS2 on my computer, the brushes are visible in PS, just not usable there.  

as I already have Affinity Photo, that makes already everything

Well if you don't miss something in APh then you don't need them..

.. but there is a shitload in the whole of Nik Collection that APh doesn't have. The presharperner is a little simple, but the output sharpener has a ton of extra control and a different algorithm compared to APh built-in sharpening stuff.

Nik Define2 is one of those noise reduction algorithms that profile your image from  a piece (or multiple pieces) of noise and then reduce noise on it. Not something that's built in into APh (although I don't like Nik Define's results personally :P).

Nik Silver is a _very_ popular and nice 'black and white' film emulator. Tons of different b&w-conversion profiles, options, grain types, etc..

Nik Analog tries to be the same for Color. Tons of filters and presets to give a vintage look to images.

Nik HDR Efex and Nik Viveza are the ones I don't really get. Other tools exist to do the HDR merging or control brightness and all and generally do a better job in my opinion. Viveza can work nice to do local adjustments though, but nothing ground breaking.

Nik Color is the workhorse, the one that defines the Nik collection IMHO. Nik Color is filled with different mini-plugins. Different modules that do certain stuff. From local contrast, detail enhancement, skin smoothing, film grain, vignette's, color contrast, color cast + white balance stuff to way more. Some of those are 'go to' modules that I use on pretty much every picture.

'Detail enhancer' is one to use with care but can do wonders, 'pro contrast' I use on every image to tweak final 'pop' and is a white-balance / color-cast god (specially with analog film scans it's invaluable), 'dynamic skin softener' is  a wonder to quickly fix up (selectively) certain skin areas, the 'brilliance / warmth' module has a slider 'perceptual saturation' which is a miracle to some images. Different to saturation, different to color contrast, different to vibrance.. it somehow pushes colors to be more the colors I expect them to be, or something like that. Can make images come to life.

The 'skylight', 'sunlight' and 'reflector' modules can work wonders to add life to pictures that were taken under overcast conditions or uneven lightning situations.

There are modules in there that I don't find anything else, and there are modules in there that 'do something similar to built-in functions, but way better or with better control'. That's basically how I sum up Nik Color Efex :).

I have the Nik plugins loaded in AP, but I haven't seen this problem mentioned in this thread.  

I don't see the Nik brushes in AP.  I have an old copy of PS, CS2 on my computer, the brushes are visible in PS, just not usable there.  

I confirm that this is the same issue with me; while the brushes are visible in PS, they are not in AP.

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem I have is that most of the drop down options just don't show properly. They just flash on and disappear again.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I see no flickering , flashing or disappearing user interface elements anywhere. The plugin seems to work just fine on that.  Changing sliders, changing the curves, zooming, panning, clicking around in the preferences... all seems fine.

The thing though: I still have the purple / magenta weird color look! The moment you zoom in in Viveza (100%) the colors turn normal, but if you zoom out 'zoom to fit' it's again all purple.

All the other Nik plugins don't show this. Quite weird.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where the Nik plugins will 1) work also with 16-bit, non-sRGB images and 2) not crash randomly every now and then? Both of these are no issues with Photoshop, so it's not the plugins themselves that are to blame. Honestly, this is the thing holding me back from switching from PS to AP for good.

All Nik Plugins are working as expected on my Win10 64-bit PC. Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

The problem is Veveza on 16 bits images only. The main windows has a strong purple color when image is displayed at less than 100%. 100% and up it's ok. The problem does not exist with 8 bits images.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

It's not only Viveza; Dfine 2 at least also has color space issues.

Can anyone who claims not to have any crashes please open an 8-bit sRGB image (mine are usually about 16 megapixels, in case that matters) in Viveza and make a greater number of adjustments (create, say, 20 control points and play with the sliders of each)? I'll almost guarantee you that you will get a crash doing that at some point.

This has never happened to me with PS, which is why I'm blaming AP (supposing something about the context it provides to the plugins is buggy). The issues are, however, not straightforwardly reproducible, either — crashes happen randomly, but in a session of editing a single image using some of the Nik plugins including Viveza, I almost always get a crash (not only in Viveza, sometimes also in the apply stage of one of the other plugins) at some point which forces me to save early, save often (and even then it means work lost when it crashes in the middle of an extensive Viveza edit). Add to this that Viveza doesn't work with 16-bit/non-sRGB images and you see why I feel forced to stick with PS. :-/

I'm more than willing to create logs or dumps of any kind if there's a way to do that, to help Affinity diagnose the issues. My system is Windows 10 x64 and has a Core i7 6700K, 32 GB of RAM (memchecked, no issues), and a GeForce GTX 1070.

I made some more tests with Viveza and Dfine.

Veveza:

In my earlier post I mentionned that in Viveza there is a strong purple color cast with 16 bits images when displayed at less that 100%... still true. But with an 8 bits image, when displayed at less than 33%, there is no color cast, but colors are faded, very feint.

I put 24 control points on an high res jpg and played with the sliders a lot and it never crashed.

Dfine:

No color problem, it worked as it should and I never had a crash.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

@AlainP: You sure about Dfine and there being no color space issues? Please try this: make an image 16-bit and ProPhoto RGB, then open it in Dfine. For me, colors in the latter are clearly wrong (blue sky becomes purple etc.) in both the main view and the preview of Dfine. This is with v1.5.1.54.

Also, do you have hardware acceleration (GPU) enabled? If so, what GPU do you have? I do and will try without... I has nothing to do with the color space issues, in any case.

@AlainP: You sure about Dfine and there being no color space issues? Please try this: make an image 16-bit and ProPhoto RGB, then open it in Dfine. For me, colors in the latter are clearly wrong (blue sky becomes purple etc.) in both the main view and the preview of Dfine. This is with v1.5.1.54.

Also, do you have hardware acceleration (GPU) enabled? If so, what GPU do you have? I do and will try without... I has nothing to do with the color space issues, in any case.

My first test with Dfine2 was with an 8 bits sRGB JPG . I had no problem at all, colors were fine and no crash.

- 16 bits sRGB JPG.... still no problem. Colors are fine and no crash.

- 16 bits ProPhoto RGB ... no crash, but colors in Dfine appear greenish and faint. But when it goes back to AP everything is fine.

Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54, on a 6 years old "all-in-one" computer, Intel i3 550, 6 Gb RAM, Intel integrated HD Graphics.

-- Macbook Air 15"

- 16 bits ProPhoto RGB ... no crash, but colors in Dfine appear greenish and faint. But when it goes back to AP everything is fine.

Thanks for confirming this! Granted, wrong colors aren't as much of an issue with Dfine as they are with Viveza.

Meanwhile, I'd like to mention that when AP crashes, a window titled "CrashReport" pops up, telling me the the crash reporter cannot be started because it cannot find an error report to send or the error report ist empty.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.