You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection support?

• Staff

We have an approved list of plugins that will show but you can also add to the list in preferences, As we improve support and validate they work correctly will then add them to the approved list.

Hi Folks,

I have been using the Nik Collection with Affinity Photo Beta for Windows quite successfully. My favourite one is Silver Efex. The only downside is that they only work in 8 bit mode. I have also been using Topaz Clarity and Detail again in 8 bit mode but they are working very well. Only a couple  of the Nik collection show "working"  all the others show "unknown" but are actually working. 

I hope that in the final version we will see the plugins supported in 16 bit mode.

Regards

John.

Hi Folks,

I have been using the Nik Collection with Affinity Photo Beta for Windows quite successfully. My favourite one is Silver Efex. The only downside is that they only work in 8 bit mode. I have also been using Topaz Clarity and Detail again in 8 bit mode but they are working very well. Only a couple  of the Nik collection show "working"  all the others show "unknown" but are actually working. 

I hope that in the final version we will see the plugins supported in 16 bit mode.

Regards

John.

Really? They don't work well for me, specially Viveza (the image appears too bright, it's weird, like it's importing a brighter version of the picture)

There have been improvements with the latest few beta builds. 16bit now seems to work (at least in Color Efex for me) and I've read reports of Viveza now working OK. Didn't test Viveza (or whatever) myself, never understood the purpose of the plugin :)

Being a pretty cool free plugin collection, I'd really love to see full support on this new program. I use it all the time. Viveza adds vibrance and has lovely controls for saturation, structure... Please, work on it, full support would be awesome!

I use the Nik plugins a lot and I do find it odd that they work in most other photo software perfectly well (including PhotoPlus), but they are all almost unusable in Affinity. Maybe it's something to do with my set up, but many of the options fail to even show up, let alone work properly. This is a real "deal breaker" for me. I do hope that this problem can be "sorted" and that the release version will fully support all the Nik Collection. (and, hopefully, most other Photoshop compatible plugins!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I use the Nik plugins a lot and I do find it odd that they work in most other photo software perfectly well (including PhotoPlus), but they are all almost unusable in Affinity. Maybe it's something to do with my set up, but many of the options fail to even show up, let alone work properly. This is a real "deal breaker" for me. I do hope that this problem can be "sorted" and that the release version will fully support all the Nik Collection. (and, hopefully, most other Photoshop compatible plugins!)

This. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Septimus,

Some of those issues were already  fixed in the latest Photo 1.5 which should be out soon. Please check this page for more details (click on the plugin's names for details).

I have installed today on AP 1.5.0.45 on Window 7 the plug-in Nik Collection and I can confirm that all 8 of them work perfectly well and without having any problem.

It has been the first time for me.

Sadly no, at least some like Viveza. :(

If you load Viveza, notice how the ''preview'' screen on the bottom right does display the actual colors from the picture, wheras the big screen shows up a very desaturated image.

Please fix this, these plugins are part of my daily workflow!

Viveza on my laptop with Win 10 doesn't work as expected too. All photos look like they have been taken with a purple filter on the lens...

So we now know that it's not just me, and also that it affects the color in different ways, not the same way... Mine is like it has the saturation set near to zero, almost black and white.

I have successfully installed the 8 plugins of the Nik Collection and after playing a bit with them I have the following very serious question: 

as I already have Affinity Photo, that makes already everything, why I should use the additional Plugins of Nik Collection?

I do hope to get some explanation to get clear my mind.

I have successfully installed the 8 plugins of the Nik Collection and after playing a bit with them I have the following very serious question: 

as I already have Affinity Photo, that makes already everything, why I should use the additional Plugins of Nik Collection?

Personally, I use those on my workflow. I'm familiar with them, and I know everything they do, how to use each one, where and why. Leaving aside that the result can be better or worse than the one you would get from Affinity internal tools, I'd have to learn how to use Affinity tools to get the exact same results that I get with my plugins. It's a matter of time at the end of the day, and how much you can do with just one plugin that combines vignette, saturation, lightning, structure, etc. on the same screen (for example) vs processing the image ''manually'' on Affinity using its tools.

In short, I'd rather have both options.

I hope that helped! :)

Well, plugins either deliver functionality unavailable natively to the software; or they simplify the process of getting a desired end result; or they simply do something better than the host programme can do it.

For example: it's certainly true that the Topaz Detail plugin is much better for sharpening my bird pictures than the built-in sharpening tools in Affinity Photo (I would have big problems if the Detail plugin didn't work - although I like the Focus slider in Nik's Sharpener Pro 3 tool as well); and Topaz DeNoise is better at dealing with high ISO noise than Photo's noise reduction (although this is very good itself).

The Nik collection provides a unique way of selectively processing images, by use of Control Points - that's a big deal for some users - and some of the tools in the collection certainly make it easier to achieve results: sometimes results you would not even think of trying, using the native tools in Photo: if I made a habit of black and white, I'm sure I'd use Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2 all the time.

So in summary, plugins can make life - and getting the pictures you want - easier.

Keith Reeder

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.