You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD files by default

Actually, we can open psd files, but we have to export, then select psd etc to save files.

What would be nice is a preference option so that save as psd is default (File/Save, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+Shift+S etc)

Is it something we can hope for ?

intel i7-3930K - 32Go - SSDs | Dual screen | Running last customer beta

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 | nVidia GTX 680 - v376.33 | intuos 3 - v6.3.15-3

Ok, I've check this settings in preferences, but when I do Save As, I still only have apphoto format ! So I can't fastly save my psd as another filename.

• 1 month later...

Why not putting file formats in save as window ? psd, png, jpg etc could all be in save as. And keep export for exporing as other format while keeping original one open, which could then serve as 'save for web' and such, with visual preview before exporting.

This save as with only apphoto format is really, really limiting ... <_<

Why not putting file formats in save as window ? psd, png, jpg etc could all be in save as. And keep export for exporing as other format while keeping original one open, which could then serve as 'save for web' and such, with visual preview before exporting.

This save as with only apphoto format is really, really limiting ... <_<

..or just use export > PSD

I´ve set cmd e as a shortcut in apple preferences

will let you decide where to save the PSD/ with another filename 

cheers

Yes, after all  why keeping thing simple and quiet standard when we can get clumsy stuff everywhere :lol:

So when you need to change format, you have to export, close document, reopen the exported document. wow, effective workflow really !!

Why so cynical ;-) ... I agree with you. Exporting pictures is far more "complicated" than necessary ... or at least avoids the easy way. I don't see the need for a special "Persona". I'd like to save a document (with all the features) or export it (preferred for the web) or reduced for any other purpose. It would be nice to have the option to instantly work further with an exported object. But this might be part of a wish feature list. This could all be part of the "Photo Persona". We're all aware that it's a huge advantage, challenge and effort as well to develop a PS competitor, but one should never forget that many things within PS came up as a result of long term customer requirements and feedback. So there are good reasons to re-think the way PS does things - but there are also many ways to do things the way PS does due to many years of experience - driven and implemented by their customer requests, and propably improve on that base. It would be good for serif not to ignore this knowledge but build up on it and make things even better instead of setting up something completely new in some areas :-) ...
just my 2 cents :-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Sorry Darlclown, was a bit upset by the previous answer just saying export-psd ...

I don't want AP do be just a copy of Ps, but like you say, some things are quite standard now-days and it's not a hazard. reinventing the wheel often make things worse, I was very surprised the first time I opened Save As when I saw only Affinity format, remind me years ago workflow. And yes, even if I don't like Adobe rental and slow development (and total lack of support), Ps has a very refined way of doing things.

• Staff

PSD is an Adobe format that we have implemented as best as we can, but there are many things about the format that we don't know or don't support. Therefore, we use our own format for saving in that we fully understand and support. The only reason PSD is a 'standard' format is because everyone used Photoshop and that was it's propitiatory format - not because it's a fully documented format like JPG, PNG etc.

Regarding export you don't have to go to it's own Persona - you can use File > Export. We offer the Export Persona as a far more advanced export feature for users who need to export multiple layers and document elements to multiple files at once.

Yes Sean, developing myself lot of pipeline tools and production tools, even some Photoshop python scripting, I can assure you that parsing psd file is just an horrible experience :wacko: Which can leave aftereffects to lot of developers  :ph34r: 

What I think cumbersome is that there is some convention and in a few areas AP isn't doing well.

For example, lot of softwares use Save As box to save in all supported formats, and you end up with the saved (as) document opened. Export is used to really transform the file into something else (like a 3dsmax file into obj for example), and this won't alter the opened document. Like Save for web, which is different than save as jpeg.

KiboOst, the "Save as..." as format sector is a old paradigm. All new apps and many old ones use (or switch to) "export" as a preferred way of selecting output other than native.

Also, Sean P, is it possible to get to know .afphoto file format for developers to adapt to new format?

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Well.... won't arg for years about this, it's not what prevent me from using AP ...

But, open a Tiff file.

Then do Ctrl+S -> it save the file as tiff

BUT! Ctrl+Shift+S won't allow to save tiff on another name, you must use export !!

Consistency please ... :ph34r:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.