Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi SrPx, 

 

I apologize for the late reply. Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to run Affinity Designer like this on my PC at work. I do not have the time for the reinstallation. Next time with the reinstallation, I will remember about the restore points. Luckily I have a Mac at home with Affinity Designer I can use to convert my work to pdf. Thank you for the advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Luko,

I've been speaking to some other users who seem to have the same/similar issue. It looks like it could be an issue with fonts. Please see this post. If a clean install of Windows allowed you to export, it is likely because the rogue fonts were not present. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still looking into it. We need to figure out how/why these fonts being installed are causing this. I'm completely baffled by it as they aren't even in the document. Hopefully development can figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tagging on to this topic to add my own issue.

Latest build 1.6.4.104, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, 32g ram, plenty of hd space.

Trying to export a test image with a 100% magenta spot color cmyk contour cut line on a separate layer to use for vinyl cutting but cannot export to pdf. Fonts are converted to curves workspace is cmyk/8.

 

Thanks!

 

AD error.jpg

untitled.afdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Luko and @RyanQ

 

I've been informed by development that it is possible to enable logging for PDF export, which I've just done with another customer who was having the same issue. The log was showning that it is being caused by a specific font (at least in that customers case).

So could you follow these instructions for me to get a log from your export so we can look into fixing the bug and also hopefully provide you a way to work around the image!

  1. Create a folder called 'temp' on the root of your C:\ drive so you have folder at C:\Temp\
  2. Run 'PDFLibLogging.reg' - this will create a registry entry that enables logging for PDF Export
  3. Run Affinity and export to PDF and then click OK to accept the error message.
  4. Go to C:\Temp\ and attach the newly created PDFlib.txt file to this thread - this is the log we're interested in seeing
  5. Once you've got that file run the 'PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg' to remove the logging as this can cause slowdown!

PDFLibLogging.reg

PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that you managed to export with Bitdefender installed but it stopped soon after. Do you have "Safe Files" now turned on in Bitdefender? That can prevent programs from writing to many locations you would normally write files to. You should however get a notification when it blocks a write. Apologies if you have already discounted this and it is a font issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 10:03 AM, Sean P said:

@Luko and @RyanQ

 

I've been informed by development that it is possible to enable logging for PDF export, which I've just done with another customer who was having the same issue. The log was showning that it is being caused by a specific font (at least in that customers case).

So could you follow these instructions for me to get a log from your export so we can look into fixing the bug and also hopefully provide you a way to work around the image!

  1. Create a folder called 'temp' on the root of your C:\ drive so you have folder at C:\Temp\
  2. Run 'PDFLibLogging.reg' - this will create a registry entry that enables logging for PDF Export
  3. Run Affinity and export to PDF and then click OK to accept the error message.
  4. Go to C:\Temp\ and attach the newly created PDFlib.txt file to this thread - this is the log we're interested in seeing
  5. Once you've got that file run the 'PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg' to remove the logging as this can cause slowdown!

PDFLibLogging.reg

PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for this. See the text file attached.

 

pdflib.log

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 5:00 PM, dpoulton said:

I saw that you managed to export with Bitdefender installed but it stopped soon after. Do you have "Safe Files" now turned on in Bitdefender? That can prevent programs from writing to many locations you would normally write files to. You should however get a notification when it blocks a write. Apologies if you have already discounted this and it is a font issue.

Hi, Safe Files is turned off in Bitdefender on my pc. I do not get a notifications when trying to export to pdf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Luko said:

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for this. See the text file attached.

 

pdflib.log

Thanks for that - it looks like your error is being caused by the same font from the customer I linked to. If you remove Dummies.ttf from Windows and then try to re-export a PDF. If it fails again could you attach the log again. You should be able to tell which font is causing it by looking at the end of the log. For example this is the complaint at the end of your log regarding Dummies.ttf:

 

[New category:resource "FontOutline:Dummies = C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Dummies.ttf"]
[Last exception 1219 in PDF_set_option]["Bad resource specification ' = Dummies' for category 'FontnameAlias'"]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for that - it looks like your error is being caused by the same font from the customer I linked to. If you remove Dummies.ttf from Windows and then try to re-export a PDF. If it fails again could you attach the log again. You should be able to tell which font is causing it by looking at the end of the log. For example this is the complaint at the end of your log regarding Dummies.ttf:

 

[New category:resource "FontOutline:Dummies = C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Dummies.ttf"]
[Last exception 1219 in PDF_set_option]["Bad resource specification ' = Dummies' for category 'FontnameAlias'"]

Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for this (and for everyone involved). It worked! I can export to pdf on Windows :)

I think it is amazing that you guys followed up on this. Still enjoying the software so much :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Luko said:

Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for this (and for everyone involved). It worked! I can export to pdf on Windows :)

I think it is amazing that you guys followed up on this. Still enjoying the software so much :)

Not a problem! I'm just sorry it took so long to help work around the fault for you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having the same issue too it says file cannot be created... other format experts but pdf doesnt.. help me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pheelz said:

I am having the same issue too it says file cannot be created... other format experts but pdf doesnt.. help me 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Pheelz. :)

Please follow @Sean P’s instructions to enable logging for PDF export:

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.