You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,  

After cropping a layer which contains an image (pixels not vector), I have been "rasterising" that layer, so that the bounding box resets. This works well for me, but I have a question:

Does rasterising an image (which is only pixels) change the quality of the image? Does it change the pixels which were available to edit before rasterising? I work at 300 dpi, and have not noticed any change. But, I don't really understand what is being done to the image when I rasterise. It is not a vector, soooo....?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Rasterising a layer will raster the pixel layer at the document's dpi. However, the Rasterise... option uses the Nearest Neighbour resampling method which could change the quality of your image - it's not currently possible to change the resampling method when using the Rasterise... option.

Thank you Leigh and Fixx,

So, it seems that if I want to preserve every little bit my images in layers, I should avoid rasterizing layers.  I have rasterized layers (images) in the past, and not realizing that I was set to 96 dpi, the image became degraded, but I didn't notice until later when zoomed in. Previously, I was only rasterizing to make the box and handles more manageable on a cropped image. But now, I work in 300 dpi, and I will avoid the raster and just deal with the less convenient box/handle placement.

Does this reflect the way any of you are working?

Thank you. 

It somewhat limits what I can do to an [image] when it is stacked in a layer composition, which means I have to prepare the source files more carefully. For example I cannot do noise removal afterwards as effect as it needs rasterized layer. On the other hand many effects work nondestructively and can be used as they are realized only at export rasterization which is high quality. Or so I suppose and wish best  :D