You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Portable or "no install" version of Affinity Designer

Hi,

I'd like to see a portable or at least a "no install" version of Affinity Designer that stores it's settings and imported stuff inside it's own directory.

Reason for this is, I restore my Windows enviroment with a clean image from time to time to start fresh. Because Affinity Designer needs to be installed and saves it's settings in the user profile all changes since the clean image will be lost. I'd like my programs to be independent of Windows and preferable completely portable. Any chance this is happening?

• Staff

Phuturist,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

No this is unlikely to happen as it goes against programming guidelines for a multi-user application and we won't want to support a different build it configuration where customisation is written to a location that low eights users don't have permission to do. Sorry. We come close to being portable already, as I understand that the software is registry independent, but does write appdata files for each user. You should probably backup your appdata regularly anyway too.

Hope we can be more positive with other suggestions.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 months later...

Phuturist,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

No this is unlikely to happen as it goes against programming guidelines for a multi-user application and we won't want to support a different build it configuration where customisation is written to a location that low eights users don't have permission to do. Sorry. We come close to being portable already, as I understand that the software is registry independent, but does write appdata files for each user. You should probably backup your appdata regularly anyway too.

Hope we can be more positive with other suggestions.

Hi Patrick,

would you be so kind and explain to me why it is so important, apps to be multi-user and not single-user, because it is very nice idea to have portable apps.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

also if the application stores its data where it lies itself (like of on a USB stick) there should be rarely any problems with write permission because you usually only have a read but not write situation in the program files folder or in network drive situations.

It also opens the door to piracy and licence abuse.

You think there are no piracy version of Affinity? You are wrong.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

well when it seems that there's no online activation (nothing gets through my firewall until I say yes) the door to piracy already seems pretty open to me.

I'll unplug my PC from the network and try to install affinity designer on it later for a dead-safe confirmation but at least for me it lools like that there were no problems, I mean, when for example a denuvo protected game crashes face-first into my firewall it will immediately try to get its data through the browser, just as example.

Just wanted to say the same :D haha

Guess at least that is proof for that the software is desireable ;)

How well does a cheap software have be so that someone cracks it, I think that is a homage to affinity ;)

Adobe and Corel, among others, work with online activation, but no use.

Also, PhotoLine is only portable and I have a licenced version of it, beside it is pirated, also. So, it is up to the person's consciousness.

What has that got to do with anything? Are you seriously saying that because a shitty thing happens over there, we may as well accept it happening here too?

Besides, never having had the intention to pirate Photo, I've never tried to find pirated copies. The fact that you apprarently did is interesting in the context of this discussion...

If software companies could rely on users' conscience as a barrier to piracy, there'd be no need for software protection.

And we all know what the real World looks like there.

Keith Reeder

• 3 years later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:44 PM, Keith Reeder said:

Besides, never having had the intention to pirate Photo, I've never tried to find pirated copies. The fact that you apprarently did is interesting in the context of this discussion...

If software companies could rely on users' conscience as a barrier to piracy, there'd be no need for software protection.

REAPER is a popular digital audio workstation without DRM. People still pay for it because they get a lot of goodwill. That’s one example of how that model can work.

Just because Petar knows that there are pirated versions of Affinity Designer doesn’t mean he actively sought it out. I came across pirate-links while searching for a portable version of AD, via google. Not really relevant to the discussion.

I would love to be able to use AD as a portable app.