You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Purchase Mac version directly from you

You make your choices, I'm making mine.

I would buy Mac versions of your software – in additions to the Windows license I just purchased – immediately if they would be available directly from you. Unfortunately you chose to sell your software for the macOS platform only through the "AppStore" from Apple. As you have the purchasing process setup now for your Windows version, I can't see any reason not to offer the same for Mac.

As a professional user I don't trust Apple anymore, a company which actively ignores professional users these days, and there is no chance at all that I will become further dependent on them. I migrated to Linux and Windows for some art direction work, but still have my 2008 Mac Pro running perfectly.

I'm very much looking forward to your others options, Photo and mainly Publisher.

I'll sincerely hope that you are reconsiderung your choices,

best regards

erik

• Staff

Hello,

For now, the only option for single-license purchase on Mac is the App Store.

At some point in the near future, we will be facilitating volume and education licensing directly from our website  - without needing the App Store. It could well be the case that when this happens, we will enable single-license purchase in the same way.

Nothing is set in stone yet - but it makes sense to me..

Hope this helps,

Andy.

• 1 month later...

I will also look for a Affinity Photo as a web version. I only will buy Affinity Photo when it will be available via web store. As Erik says - you can´t trust Apple. And I don´t want give Apple 30% of my money when I buy AP over the MacAppStore. Also updates will be reaching the user faster and for a major version maybe cheaper.

Affinity Team - In my opinion, you don´t need the MacAppStore. Your products are so good - you will sell AP/AD without  loosing customers. In the meantime I use Photoshop. This is also available outside the MAS.

But I will favor Affinity Photo!

I am waiting for you...  :)

Jens

@user-name & Jens W.

I am just curious, but if you do not trust Apple, why would you run OS X/Mac OS on any computer you own in the first place? You have to rely on the Mac App Store for OS installers & updaters, so if you trust it for that why not trust it for the Affinity apps?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If Apple goes bankrupt tonight and MAS stays down forever, apps bought from MAS continue running just fine. You do not have to "trust" Apple.

Except that:

1. You have already trusted Apple enough to install (& probably to update/upgrade) its OS. In comparison, that requires a much higher level of trust than anything related to any app, whether bought through MAS or not.

2. However you buy the app, you would be foolish not to back it up to somewhere secure because any company could go bankrupt, their servers go down for days, weeks, or months, etc.

3. Realistically, the chances that Apple would go bankrupt in the foreseeable future are almost nil, far lower than for Serif/Affinity.

4. Because Apple is one of the largest corporations on the planet, in the unlikely event that it did go bankrupt, it would cause chaos throughout the the worlds' major economies. For most people this would be a far bigger concern than how or where they bought any apps from Apple or anybody else.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7