You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone,

Has anyone replaced (or considered replacing) Photoshop completely with Affinity Photo? If so, what are you using to replace Photoshop's companion app Adobe Bridge? If I'm going to make Affinity Photo work for me, I'll need some capable image management software. I need to be able to view thumbnails of every image type, from RAW to raster to vector. I'm only interested in something equal to Bridge or better. 

Any suggestions, or tips on what works for you?

There are very good alternatives posted already in this thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28462-affinity-photo-for-windows-ok-but-still-no-match-for-photoshop-cs6/?p=137930

To which I would only add XnViewMP, if only because is a more polished, faster and modern version of the good old XnView.

The only real problem I can see is the vector viewer. Other than that, I never use Bridge as a picture browser as I find some of the programs mentioned much better.

A few advantages among others:

- With some of them, you can copy path on the fly out of the box, Bridge needs a little workaround

- Some offer quick conversion simply via right click on the image, which I find very useful, even when I need to convert a lot of images, still performance wise are very good.

- Faster to open.

- Explorer previews.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I understood Bridge never as a real DAM, so I use IMatch since ~2004. Aside the many others features, I especially like the versioning:

post-41044-0-97705200-1479468942_thumb.png

What the screendump shows is (aside others) an Indesign file which is master (orange marks) of a PDF, another PDF which is master of a word document, a Canon RAW from which a JPEG was derived (blue marks), another Canon RAW from which a JPEG, TIF and PSD were derived, and at the bottom the master and child(s) are shown (Indesign and pdf) ;)

But for using IMatch as a simple file browser its to complex.

regards,

Ablichter

DxO optics? I'm not sure what functional elements of Bridge are your requirements. "Bridge or better" ia very vague term, to say the least.

Before my "Bridge or better" statement, I wrote "I need to be able to view thumbnails of every image type, from RAW to raster to vector." Not vague at all about that. I would like to explore replacing Bridge as an image browser. That's what Bridge does.

It would be great if the replacement:

1. Could browse every image file type as a thumbnail, plus open any other file type with a double-click.

2. Could index/cache a large folder faster than Bridge. Bridge takes several minutes to index a folder with say, 2000 images. For a wedding photographer or an air show photographer, 2000 images isn't that much.

3. Customizable viewing of basic metadata such as file size, image resolution, etc. without opening a metadata panel.

4. Had a pleasing user interface. The default UI for Bridge isn't that great, but you can customize it to have a similar color scheme to the default UI for Affinity. Some of the other image browsers I've looked at are just butt ugly. It's hard to get in the mood of making something beautiful when you're looking at a 1990s-era UI.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:18 PM, verysame said:

There are very good alternatives posted already in this thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28462-affinity-photo-for-windows-ok-but-still-no-match-for-photoshop-cs6/?p=137930

To which I would only add XnViewMP, if only because is a more polished, faster and modern version of the good old XnView.

The only real problem I can see is the vector viewer. Other than that, I never use Bridge as a picture browser as I find some of the programs mentioned much better.

A few advantages among others:

- With some of them, you can copy path on the fly out of the box, Bridge needs a little workaround

- Some offer quick conversion simply via right click on the image, which I find very useful, even when I need to convert a lot of images, still performance wise are very good.

- Faster to open.

- Explorer previews.

Thanks so much to PaulAffinity, verysame, and Albichter for the great suggestions to replace Adobe Bridge. That other thread suggested by verysame is a gold mine. It looks like you folks have killed by Saturday, because I'm going to check out everything. Much appreciated!

As bridge is an image browser I am not sure if you are looking for a direct replacement or a proper DAM application.  In terms of paid for applications I have tried many and use IMatch as my DAM application.  The best application I have used as an image browser is ACDSee.  You could use this as a DAM application but DAM functionality is not its strong point, it does excel as an image browser though.

Neil

As bridge is an image browser I am not sure if you are looking for a direct replacement or a proper DAM application.  In terms of paid for applications I have tried many and use IMatch as my DAM application.  The best application I have used as an image browser is ACDSee.  You could use this as a DAM application but DAM functionality is not its strong point, it does excel as an image browser though.

Neil

You're correct, Neil. I'm using Bridge for an image browser. It actually does a great job at that, but if I were to replace Photoshop with Affinity Photo, Bridge would have to go, too. I'll definitely check out ACDSee. It's been like 100 years since I used that! Thanks much for the tip.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone replaced (or considered replacing) Photoshop completely with Affinity Photo? If so, what are you using to replace Photoshop's companion app Adobe Bridge? If I'm going to make Affinity Photo work for me, I'll need some capable image management software. I need to be able to view thumbnails of every image type, from RAW to raster to vector. I'm only interested in something equal to Bridge or better. 

Hi, why don't you give a try to Irfanview? http://www.irfanview.com/ It's free and I use it for several years

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 950 4 gb Memory

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm

I use XnViewMP - it is free and great and it supports also AD-Thumbnail-Preview in the upcoming Version 0.84. AP-Preview is already supported. This tool is gorgeous and you can customize the UI to your own taste. Best Funktion for me, you can compare up to four Photos side by side. This is very helpful for sorting out pictures. And the best, it is much faster than Bridge with very large folders. I love it!

I have used Faststone and Picasa but neither accept/recognise afphoto files. Faststone will probably be updated but not Picasa. Does anyone know of a viewer.

XnViewMP looks good and I hope will include Af photo files in the future.

Does anyone know of viewers which include afphoto ?

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Dell Inspiron 5570 i5-8250u | 8gb | SSD.m2 | Win 10 Pro 64

Hello,

The Adobe bridge is a powerful tool under Adobe programs I mention only times the selection of several pictures in a photoshop image as levels (Tetherad shootings) I think there is no chance to get such a thing.

I think if all three Affinity programs are finished, one thinks at Serif something similar would be at least a logical conclusion.

For me and my workflow, the Adobe Bridge in combination with the ACR is more valuable than Lightroom.

• 10 months later...
On 20.11.2016 at 6:13 PM, Pollux said:

(...) The Adobe bridge is a powerful tool under Adobe programs I mention only times the selection of several pictures in a photoshop image as levels (Tetherad shootings) I think there is no chance (...).

Yet still not powerful enough to provide true alpha on his own PSD thumbnails. /If you work professionaly with a few hundreds of images per assignment its a real pain in the ass when you cant compare what was extracted and whats still to be done/

AND thats THE FEATURE I would suggest/insist to provide when/if Affinity plans similar tool to develop for us.

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM