You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Windows - Setup cannot continue because a previous version requires your computer to be restarted

I've just bought and downloaded Affinity Designer for Windows. Whenever I try to run the installer I get this message:

"Setup cannot continue because a previous installation requires your computer to be restarted. Please restart your computer and rerun Setup."

I have now restarted my computer twice since then and I still get the message when I run Setup.

Since getting this error I have also successfully installed the Public Beta of Affinity Designer, restarted, run it (got the beta ended message), then uninstalled it.

But subsequently, when running the full version Setup I still get the same error message.

Any help gratefully received.  :(

post-42078-0-15665400-1479411036_thumb.png

Hi MEB, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work.

There were no other affinity processes or applications running listed in task manager.

I tried installing again in any case but still get the same error:

"Setup cannot continue because a previous installation requires your computer to be restarted. Please restart your computer and rerun Setup."

I imagine there must be some registry entry, or 'lock' file, that is fooling the setup program into thinking there is a reboot needed. But I have now rebooted enough times for all of us.  :unsure:

What's even more bizarre is that there was no previous installation except perhaps the beta. But I already installed and uninstalled that successfully, so this is purely an issue with the full version Setup.

Any other ideas? Many thanks for the help.

I think I have made some headway. This is related to the .NET Framework installation that Affinity requires. There is no sign of it in the task manager, but, if I try to 'repair' the .NET Framework installation I get exactly the same error.

I am now uninstalling .NET in order to let it install again from scratch, and will feedback here on how it works.

[sOLVED]

First, this is primarily a problem with the windows automatic updater. My solution was horribly complex but in case anyone gets this problem I'm sharing links below:

1) First I backed up all of my essential files, downloads and software, and then did a factory reinstall on my PC.

2) Then I applied the fixes described in this Microsoft Tech Support article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_7-update/fix-windows-7-update-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/ad6cfeef-232a-49b4-a57b-39978eea6630?rtAction=1478992206279

3) The above article doesn't make it absolutely clear, but after each reboot you need to Start > run > CMD as Administrator, and then enter: net stop wuauserv before continuing.

4) I then installed Windows 7 Platform Update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=36805

5) I could then install Affinity Designer for Windows

6) You might be able to skip step 1, and just try the fixes from step 2. 

Enjoy  :D

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem ...... every time I try to download it this message comes up (being going on for months now, luckily I have another program SerifPhotoPlus to use in the meantime) ... my computer is installing other programs quite happily ...

" Setup  cannot continue because a previous installation requires your computer to be restarted.  Please restart your computer and rerun Setup"

I had the beta version installed so I uninstalled that.  Still the same message comes up ... again and again despite days of restarts ...

I'd appreciate your  help please .......... thank you :)  (I really cannot do a factory reinstall etc as suggested above)

• 6 months later...

I second what LilS said. I can not do a factory re-install, just to make this work.

It has been 6 months since anyone has said anything about a solution to this problem. Come on!

Someone from affinity-serif, please provide information on how to fix this error. This deal-breaker problem has to be addressed.