You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Motion (After Effects/Premier alternative)

Hello again,

This time I come to beg for a Affinity 'After Effects/Premier' alternative. A lot of people would purchase it (including myself) without blinking! We want to be freed from Adobe for once and for all!

And Affinity Motion would be a nice name. You can reply to this thread and suggest other names, and help me spread this petition!

I already purchased Designer for Windows today. And I'm testing the Photo beta and will purchase the final release when it comes out. Also waiting desperatedly for Publisher.

Other names:

- Affinity FX

- Affinity Animator
- Affinity Video Editor
- Affinity Transition
- Affinity Tween
- Affinity Timeline

(I love Affinity Motion and Affinity FX)

Please, please, please, spread my voice and consider making this happen!

Affinity would have to compete with the likes of DaVinci Resolve and Fusion - a tough nut to crack indeed.

DaVinci Resolve is a brilliant non-linear video editor, and the industry standard colour grading tool.

Fusion is a nodal compositor for visual effects - superior to After Effects for that type of work. Not as good for motion graphics, though.

Both are used in feature film production. Can't get any better than this, because the great thing is: both are free to work with up to ultra HD footage!

Get them here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/davinciresolve

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/fusion

I would advice Serif to stay away from trying to compete in the professional video business.

I would, however, very much welcome a Flash type competitor - but even in that segment the competition is quite tough: 2016 has been very interesting for animators: Moho, ClipStudio, and of course the open sourced OpenTOonz (which is getting better with every new release). Krita also includes animation now, and is finally Mac ready!

I use DaVinci Resolve (Windows 8.1), but it freezes all the time. It crashed once, and I could't export my movie with the CineForm codec (I downloaded it and added the .dll's in the Resolve folder). Then I chose Uncompressed, I managed to export, but no video, only audio.

So last night I tested Hitfilm4 Express, and it worked like a charm.

And as a curious fact, I didn't know about Apple Motion when I came up with "Affinity Motion" name. Anyway, if Serif decides building an Keyframe Animator/Video editor it would be awesome and useful for us Windows users.

• 1 year later...

+1

It would be fantasic to finally have some right alternative to AfterEffects without being locked to the crazy Adobe-license system!! 

I'm looking everywhere for an affordable program to especially replace AfterEffects (and indeed it would be nice to have a replacement for Animate CC too, although I'm mostly animating for web writing code). Natron is a nice free program but crashes a lot and doesn't have a timeline to do some editing.

I'd rather pay for professional, stable and actively maintained software. I believe there definitely is a gap to fill for a lot of people here!

(Well, at least there finally is a very decent alternative to Photoshop and Illustrator now! That at least made my week! Affinity is great)

I believe all this is good but for the time until Serif put things on the rails, we users should find a way to prepare for the rain. 

I mean, there is a good one out there called  Spine. 

With that one you can import Affinity designer projects and animate them. 

I was impressed how easy it is to export things in JSON and animate the whole thing. 

Give it a try and maybe it will help until Serif delivers something in that area. 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

No, Serif should make agreement with other developer to integrate. 

Thanks a lot @Fatih19

Even better then what i though about.

According to your understanding dear, will Serif make Publisher to be even better and flexible than PagePlus X9 was ?

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

4 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Thanks a lot @Fatih19

Even better then what i though about.

According to your understanding dear, will Serif make Publisher to be even better and flexible than PagePlus X9 was ?

I believe they will. It will just takes a long time. 

On the topic of integration, they should integrate with Blackmagic Design (DaVinci Resolve and Fusion). For animation, they should integrate with TechMicro (Moho/Anime Studio) 

On 4/7/2018 at 7:00 AM, Fatih19 said:

I believe they will. It will just takes a long time. 

On the topic of integration, they should integrate with Blackmagic Design (DaVinci Resolve and Fusion). For animation, they should integrate with TechMicro (Moho/Anime Studio) 

Please make it clear to me when you say integrate.

Make it more accessible to my small brain.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

10 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

DaVinci Resolve and Fusion have a true support on Affinity files format. 

Hello @Fatih19 Okay i see !
Thanks a lot.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

On 4/6/2018 at 9:58 PM, Arnaud Mez said:

I believe all this is good but for the time until Serif put things on the rails, we users should find a way to prepare for the rain. 

I mean, there is a good one out there called  Spine. 

With that one you can import Affinity designer projects and animate them. 

I was impressed how easy it is to export things in JSON and animate the whole thing. 

Give it a try and maybe it will help until Serif delivers something in that area. 

Thanks @Arnaud Mez, because of your post I finally have a great workflow with Spine wich I bought years ago but never really used. That software together with Designer are briljant indeed! That JSON output generator in Designer is really making me smile and makes exporting for use in Spine so much more fun! So thanks again for your tip. I'm gonna dive into Spine more now! It's indeed even better software then Adobe Animator/Flash once was in optmized animating for webgraphics and games.

For the other use; video-effects, I still miss a decent alternative to After Effects though. I use Natron now for effects and some other mwha mwha programs for video editing, but I'm really missing a real competitor wich has both great effects and a keyframable timeline with layers and stuff. A real replacement for After Effects is something I'm looking for for a while and it seems like a lot of other people do too. If Affinity decides to fill that gap too that would make my day and I would buy it without a blink! 

4 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Thanks @Arnaud Mez, because of your post I finally have a great workflow with Spine wich I bought years ago but never really used. That software together with Designer are briljant indeed! That JSON output generator in Designer is really making me smile and makes exporting for use in Spine so much more fun! So thanks again for your tip. I'm gonna dive into Spine more now! It's indeed even better software then Adobe Animator/Flash once was in optmized animating for webgraphics and games.

For the other use; video-effects, I still miss a decent alternative to After Effects though. I use Natron now for effects and some other mwha mwha programs for video editing, but I'm really missing a real competitor wich has both great effects and a keyframable timeline with layers and stuff. A real replacement for After Effects is something I'm looking for for a while and it seems like a lot of other people do too. If Affinity decides to fill that gap too that would make my day and I would buy it without a blink! 

Tank you so much @Friksel 

Can you please tell me more about Natron.
I'm in fact looking for a software that will help me create good text animations such as the one you can on Youtube channel Motion Cafe.

Sorry for pointing there but i'm from that old generation of disco, techno, funky lifestyle with all this 8bits machines we once loved to death !

Now all these AR, VR stuff is just a bit too complicated for me that's why i love Affinity Designer so much.
It's resurrect the 8bit stuff in me !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

@Arnaud Mez Natron is free software wich has active development and is made purely for creating video-effects like keying, blurring, motion tracking and so on. You can also use (open source) effects plugins in it. But an important difference with After Effects is that it's based on nodes you have to connect to each other. Wich is really handy, because you can see directly what you're doing and how your setup of effects, inputs and outputs looks. It also has a curve editor and a dope sheet to handle animations over time. You could make text animations with it, but you need to know it's not the same type of editor like Adobe Animate/Flash or Adobe After Effects. If you're looking for more information there's a lot to find on google and youtube. Here is a beginnerstutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEENGQbn6c so you can find out for yourself if this suits your need.

Just found out these days BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve 15 beta came out and it now has Fusion (their VFX program) included! That product really is getting better and better every release! Trying it out now and it is becoming a real After Effects / Premiere competitor now if not already past them! And the product is free... It's really a great package and very professional with editor, colorgrading, audio editor and now vfx. The only thing I don't like about it is that its projects don't save to a file (like Aftereffects), but have some kind of databasestructure (either written to disk or to postgre database), but next to that: I found my After Effects alternative and it even feels much better, 'cause it's working with nodes with a very fast workflow with keyboard shortcuts, a fully dual monitor setup, AND has the timeline integrated!!! It's also much faster than After Effects... I made my choice!

Maybe this helps other people here too.