You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity Designer final release have tools that were not in the beta?

I just received an offer for the final release and noticed it is bundled with some addons. Does the Grade UI have tools and functions we didn't see in the beta?

There was features I was looking for that were not in the Beta and wondering if they had been addressed:

Pencil tool and brush tool line continuation by clicking over with same tool (same as DrawPlus)

Color separations for spot colors

Lasso selection with alt key (same as DrawPlus and PagePlus)

Color search and replace similar to PagePlus

Without these features Affinity won't be useful for my business.

It is mentioned in the third section on their product page that it does indeed come with updates in the latest version. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/

As for the features you mentioned, line continuation for the pencil tool was said by a staff member that it will arrive in 1.6. It is not listed on the roadmap, but another staff member said that there will be more features to 1.6 than the ones listed as a surprise bonus. For people who purchase 1.5, they can test the new features in 1.6 for free when it arrives (hopefully soon).

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for the info. I just upgraded my CorelDraw to X8.

I don't think Affinity will have the features I need for my business. Though it is a nice program it seems to lack the essential tools I require for my workflow.

I wish Serif the best with their new product venture.

Thanks,

Ken

Even though you said Corel Draw X8, I was thinking DrawPlus X8. I knew there was no way the price could be that high. Taking a look at it, the price really fell down. It was $120, but now it's just $25. I do prefer Affinity, but that is still really good to know. And hey, it looks like the prices to all the products dropped. It looks like there will not be any new patches either. Will the Plus range come to a close completely?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Wow! Even though it is unfortunate for long time Serif users, I did for a long time feel that Serif Labs is Adobe's best competitor. Perhaps this is the chance for them to prove it.

Corel Draw X8 is a $400.00 software, the upgrade is $150.00+ USD    Yeah, I wouldn't imagine a $50 USD software could compare to that.

One often gets what they pay for...

It is the (eventual) goal for AD to compete with the more expensive software, so comparing just by price isn't really a great way to compare.

I could not do what I do in CD--even CD from many versions ago--with AD. Well, I guess I could but it would have to be a labor of love because I wouldn't be able to bill out the time difference. The same applies to XDP which I use daily and it is less capable than CD. While AD is more comparable to XDP in the typical drawings I do, AD is no where as efficient to work in for me. 

Once i purchase a license, it is probable that over time the production time differences will lessen, but it will take years for something that is so simple to do in CD to be integrated in AD.

MikeW, I'm interested to hear what you find better in CorelDraw, because I honestly could never get into it. I'm sure there is so much to it that I am unaware of. Even though I feel most comfortable with Affinity, I'm always interested to hear features that compete.

A for instance. I do files for screen printing. Part of the file prep is to create an underlying shape that will be a spot white (it's generally called an underbase, typically white but is often enough any light spot color). Often times it is the entirety of the design, sometimes it is specifically just where there is any color in the design. In CD, I can make that outline in a second or two.

So here's something to try that is simple. Create three shapes, say a rectangle, a circle and a triangle. Color them in different colors (don't bother making them a spot color as would be in a real design). Arrange them how you want. Because this "design" will be printed on a variety of colored fabric, you need to make an underbase outline.

If these three shapes are not touching in AD, it is as simple as making a duplicate of these three shapes and put them on their own layer below all the others and naming that layer as Underbase. Oh, and every color needs to be specifically on its own layer and they way AD does layers, it can be easy to have more layers than necessary without them being specific layers...Now color those duplicated shapes with the white color. That's it.

But if the design isn't easy shape primitives like in this example, one cannot just combine the shapes into a single shape, or otherwise make a copy and recolor. One needs to outline certain areas, and in other areas one can/has to create a shape that encompasses various areas and not others depending upon the design.

This can be done in AD, but it isn't a one- or two-click process. I've tried replicating various work I have done in AD, including garment printing designs. Some is easy enough and would work out just fine. Others, not so much.

And at the end of it all, it needs to hit a reliable PDF without muss or fuss. Though I have created hundreds of test PDFs in AD for myself and others, it isn't a no-brainer to get a competently-made PDF.

Printing is something I haven't tested in Designer yet, so it is hard for me to judge on that.

Oh, and every color needs to be specifically on its own layer and they way AD does layers, it can be easy to have more layers than necessary without them being specific layers

If I understand this quote correctly, you are looking into changing the color of all shapes in a single layer rather than each individually. You probably already know this, but in case you don't, you are not working in layers when you first draw objects. They are curves; well adult layers to be exact. If you click the "Add Layer" button, you can move all shapes drawn in that layer to make child layers like Corel. Then clicking on it, you can change all the colors to the different shapes inside it at once, but I have a strange feeling this isn't news to you.

Yes, I know. Which is why I mentioned discrete layers.

But no, AD layers are not like Corel or any other mainstream vector editing software I use. Corel always has at least one discrete layer and one cannot not use at least that one layer in CD (or the others I use).

I am not comparing Corel Draw to Affinity, I just need to be able to do complex separations, often from butchered Illustrator files clients supply from people that have no clue.

I have relied on DrawPlus since I removed Illustrator from my system for much of that work because it was an easy and reliable alternative for most of the work. I still use DP and PP frequently but found Affinity just lacking on essential tools at this point. Keep in mind I had used Corel Draw since version 1 through 8, used Illustrator since version 3 till recently with CC. Had used Freehand since version 1 through 9. Deneba Canvas from 8 through 14.

I was hoping Affinity would fill the gap where DrawPlus falls short but it doesn't seem to be the case at this time. With Affinity replacing the plus series then I feel the need to go to a more legacy suite of software. Maybe in the future I'll give Affinity a look but since seems you cannot import DP or PP files into it then that scares me.

You guys seem to forget that AD is generally an illustration program and doesn't have robust prepress capabilities like Quark or InDesign.  It used to be that in the days when offset process printing was very expensive and spot color alternatives were necessary, the complexities of prepress (screen angles, lpi, ink spread, trapping, choking, knockouts, etc.) were an absolute know how for designers.  Nowadays, there are software that by design will accomplish this and create PDFs intelligently although the occasional manual setup is unavoidable.

​Now fabric printing is a narrow field and whatever software provides the tools for the industry becomes the standard, but there are so many options for affordable online printing nowadays that prepress is usually done in-house.  I have to admit, I have yet to use AD for actual printing project but I'm about to.

You guys seem to forget that AD is generally an illustration program and doesn't have robust prepress capabilities like Quark or InDesign.  It used to be that in the days when offset process printing was very expensive and spot color alternatives were necessary, the complexities of prepress (screen angles, lpi, ink spread, trapping, choking, knockouts, etc.) were an absolute know how for designers.  Nowadays, there are software that by design will accomplish this and create PDFs intelligently although the occasional manual setup is unavoidable.

​Now fabric printing is a narrow field and whatever software provides the tools for the industry becomes the standard, but there are so many options for affordable online printing nowadays that prepress is usually done in-house.  I have to admit, I have yet to use AD for actual printing project but I'm about to.

I'm not forgetting anything. Outlining multiple objects (the example I gave) isn't limited to screen printing. Professional, no-muss, no-fuss PDF output (the other statement I made) is a requirement for any reasonable print work-flow--and by print I am not limiting my statement to printing to a local printer, a POD or a professional print establishment.

Most of my design work goes to PDF from whatever design application I choose to use and is subsequently placed in a layout application. If the process to make the PDF from the design application is not as easy as falling over, or is a hindrance to obtaining a subsequent quality PDF from the layout application, well then ...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not forgetting anything. Outlining multiple objects (the example I gave) isn't limited to screen printing. Professional, no-muss, no-fuss PDF output (the other statement I made) is a requirement for any reasonable print work-flow--and by print I am not limiting my statement to printing to a local printer, a POD or a professional print establishment.

Most of my design work goes to PDF from whatever design application I choose to use and is subsequently placed in a layout application. If the process to make the PDF from the design application is not as easy as falling over, or is a hindrance to obtaining a subsequent quality PDF from the layout application, well then ...

If you are doing the prepress manually, any program will suffice.  But if you are relying on software automation for prepress there are many variables as each software handles Postscript files differently.  I have worked with Illustrator and now Affinity designer and already have discovered variables in the way PDFs are dealt with by default in each program.  Each software requires an individual learning curve to set up specific processes for a prepress workflow. 

In some cases I provide digital separations so a few of my customers so it isn't an issue. BUT where I need compatibility is when I send files out that some unknown factory will be separating or dimensions on the art may change as well as the need for specific setups ie: underbases, chokes etc.

Files I send out need to have spot color information in them as well as overprint information.

I would have stuck with Affinity but since it doesn't look they will be able to read in the DrawPlus files then I have no choice but to move to another software platform and start migrating my work to something that will have some legacy.

IMO to totally disband a previous product lines compatibility is a huge mistake on Serif's side and to me seems very short sided. Maybe down the road if they can open up old files then I will consider switching back.

I'm working on my second print project on ADW. 

Already on the first, which was a simple vector only Business card layout, I encountered minor size placement issues in the PDF which is no big deal since the online printer I use (PsPrint.com), has preconfigured templates for submission and quality checks the file at prepress.  The second (a four panel postcard) is much more complicated and I experienced several challenges in the import features which I spent some time correcting.  It's a press right now but have been assured by the prepress department that all looks OK on their end.  I am learning that I have to use ADW as a design starting point for things to go smoothly.  Import as of now is a little iffy.

​___________________________

​UPDATE:  As an update this, just want to say that my second project on ADW, a four panel 4/4 Christmas greeting card came out perfect.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.