You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create an Affinity Store account

Hello fellow Affinity forum members!  I'm new to Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo as I've been using Adobe products for years.  I recently took part in the Affinity Designer Windows Beta program and am currently a part of the Photo Windows Beta.  I received an email today that Designer for Windows has been released and is now out of Beta testing.  I was trying to figure out how to create an account with the Affinity Store but I can't seem to find a link to create the account.  Can anyone help with this?

• Staff

Hi Jugg3rGrafix,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to the Affinity Designer product page ant click the Buy now for Windows button to enter the Affinity Store then simply place/fill your order to automatically create a Serif Store account.

You can then sign-in later using the button on the top right of the page.

On 11/23/2016 at 7:29 AM, Thouzie said:

I want to create an account too, I have both Photo and Designer on Mac.

Do I log in with my apple ID?

An account will be created for you if you purchase the Affinity Designer Workbook or the Affinity Photo Workbook. The Affinity Store doesn't sell the Mac versions of the Affinity apps, and it doesn't know about your Apple ID.

Edited by Alfred
Updated Affinity Store info

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...

Came here with the same question re: creating an account. "Should" be able to do so, when registering your product, even if purchasing software through App Store. All very confusing. Anyway, about the Designer Workbook: any plans on a digital release? 

iMac Pro (2017) Processor: 3GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W / Memory: 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 / Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB | iPad Pro: 12.9 inch 2nd Gen

• Staff

... Anyway, about the Designer Workbook: any plans on a digital release?

No plans for a digital version, no.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 6 months later...

Hello.

So in order to open an account, do you also have to purchase the Designer Workbook if you are only interested in Affinity Photo? 

Will you be able to download Affinity Photo through a link after payment, just like with Photoshop and Lightroom? I am from South Africa so postage can get expensive and we aren't always sure if our purchases will get to us safely. 

Thank you in advance!

• Staff

Hi Sumarie,

No, you only need to create an account in the Affinity Store if you intend to buy the Windows versions of our products (Designer or Photo) or the Affinity Designer Workbook.

If you are using a Mac you don't need to have an account on our Store since the Mac versions can only be purchased through the Mac App Store (unless you want to buy the Affinity Designer Workbook).

Yes, you will be able to download the program through a link. We only sell digital versions of our software products.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous. If you buy Designer from the Affinity site for a Mac, it takes you to the Apple Store, where you buy the app and therefore don't have an Affinity Store Account and therefore cannot download the free content. I just did this and now I can't create an Affinity account without buying the Designer Workbook. Tell me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, something needs to change.

55 minutes ago, gravy said:

This is ridiculous. If you buy Designer from the Affinity site for a Mac, it takes you to the Apple Store, where you buy the app and therefore don't have an Affinity Store Account and therefore cannot download the free content. I just did this and now I can't create an Affinity account without buying the Designer Workbook. Tell me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, something needs to change.

You are wrong. You do not have to buy the Designer Workbook to order the free content. You do have to create an Affinity Store Account to place the order, which you can do if you read & follow the instructions in the first post MEB provided a link to in his November 2 reply that appears just above yours in this topic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can see now how to proceed. It's not exactly clear from MEB's post that you don't have complete the purchase for Windows.

If you have purchased the Mac version and don't have a store account, go to the Window page below where it says "Buy for Mac". Enter your email address in the "New To Affinity" and click "Add My Email". You can then add your credentials and create your account. You do not need to finish the Windows purchase. Restart Designer and you should see the "Claim Now" in the Welcome screen after a few seconds.

Although this apparently works, it's pretty convoluted and confusing what needs to be done as evidenced by all the posts of people trying to create accounts and get the downloads.

Hope this helps someone.

1 hour ago, gravy said:

Although this apparently works, it's pretty convoluted and confusing what needs to be done as evidenced by all the posts of people trying to create accounts and get the downloads.

Just as an aside, a few days ago one of the staff mentioned that the free content had been downloaded over 100,000 times, so not everyone is having problems with this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi gravy,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are going through. We are not ignoring anyone. What happened is that currently we don't sell the Mac applications through the Affinity Store, so if you are a Mac user the Buy button on our website redirects you to the Mac App Store while for Windows users it redirects them to our store. Since these stores are completely independent (it's Apple who manages the Mac App Store) Mac users don't have an account on our (Affinity) Store - unless they have bought the Affinity Designer Workbook which is the only item we sell there besides the Windows versions of our apps. So to get the extras, you have to fill in you details on the New to Affinity? tab in our store in order to complete the "extras" order and create an account. So basically the Mac apps are updated through the Mac App Store app but the extras are provided through the Affinity Store. It may look confusing for now but we may eventually expand the Affinity Store to sell other items and eventually mac apps too later, so in the end it will all hopefully make more sense.

From your previous posts seems you already got the extras but if not let us know so we can help you out. Thanks for your support and patience.

26 minutes ago, gravy said:

Not all people have my scenario, but those that do are having problems. Affinity can choose to ignore those people based on the numbers and consider them ignorant, but that hardly addresses the problem. Not a great attitude.

Please keep in mind that while Affinity/Serif is making this free for a limited time offer available to users who have bought the qualifying Affinity app(s), the company does not own the content itself. Understandably I hope, the content owners would not be very happy with anything that made it easy for anybody else to get it for free, now or after the offer expires.

That is why users must use the Welcome screen "Claim now" button to access the offer -- that demonstrates that claimants have bought the Affinity app & thus are entitled to download it at no cost during the offer period. For Windows users, the qualifying process could probably be done differently, but as MEB explained, that would not work for Mac users.

Affinity Photo 

I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be a check to verify that there is a valid Affinity purchase before the download of content. Only that there is a clearer way for users to create a store account so they can be validated. It sounds like, from MEB's post, that this is at least being looked at.

5 minutes ago, gravy said:

I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be a check to verify that there is a valid Affinity purchase before the download of content. Only that there is a clearer way for users to create a store account so they can be validated. It sounds like, from MEB's post, that this is at least being looked at.

How would that work for Mac users who have already bought one or both of the apps through the Mac App Store? Remember, Serif/Affinity has no way of knowing if they have or not.

So for example, if they allow users to create an Affinity Store account without buying a workbook or anything else, then what? How could Serif/Affinity validate them to know if they really qualify for the free offer?

Affinity Photo 

I'm not the one to figure out how Affinity should manage their products. But there could be another way to validate users like maybe having a validation code in the product that could be communicated to Affinity. That would have to thought out, but there are other possible scenarios if Affinity wants to keep to separate stores and make the experience more consistent.

BTW, I did create a store account without having to buy something through the Affinity store.

17 minutes ago, gravy said:

But there could be another way to validate users like maybe having a validation code in the product that could be communicated to Affinity.

That probably would not be allowed for apps sold through the Mac App Store, but regardless I doubt that would be easier or simpler than the current Welcome screen button.

19 minutes ago, gravy said:

BTW, I did create a store account without having to buy something through the Affinity store.

What does that have to do with validating you as eligible for the free downloads?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

That probably would not be allowed for apps sold through the Mac App Store, but regardless I doubt that would be easier or simpler than the current Welcome screen button.

What does that have to do with validating you as eligible for the free downloads?

Look, you asked how this would work. I'm not here to provide a complete solution. I merely suggested an idea that would have to be worked out.

You suggested that you couldn't create an account without buying a product. I was just saying you could and I did.

In any event, have it your way. I don't want to argue and prefer to participate in providing a solution rather than pretending that one doesn't exist.