You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop With Dimensions

Hey.  I just bought the newly released version and I'm excited to get going with it.  I'm already trying to use it with photos I've been given at work that need to be cropped and resized, but it's very difficult to crop and then resize them without them being distorted, so it basically becomes guesswork.

How Photoshop makes that process easier is to allow the user to crop with dimensions, so that the crop is already at the dimension that you're seeking.  No resizing becomes necessary.  Can we add that functionality in, please?

• Staff

Hi psiclone,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to the context toolbar (right above the work area) change the Mode dropdown to Absolute Dimensions and write the values you want in the input fields on the right, then place the crop where you want dragging it from  the center (inside) of the crop grid. If you want to keep the same settings to use with other images you can save them as a preset going to the Mode dropdown and selecting Add Preset.

http://screenpresso.com/=hl50f

Thank you.  It sounds like that capability is in there, but I don't see the Mode dropdown you're referencing.  It seems I've already found a bug in that the context toolbar doesn't show the right stuff when clicking on the crop tool.

I'm also not seeing the Mode dropdown when I have the Crop tool selected. Windows, full-version.

• Staff

Sorry I thought you were talking about Affinity Photo Beta for Windows which is the closest equivalent to Photoshop (mentioned in your post).

Affinity Designer has an object based Crop Tool. There's no options for it in the context toolbar as in Affinity Photo's Crop Tool which is document based. See screenshot below.

post-59-0-60049100-1479403306_thumb.png

• Staff

Thank you.  It sounds like that capability is in there, but I don't see the Mode dropdown you're referencing.  It seems I've already found a bug in that the context toolbar doesn't show the right stuff when clicking on the crop tool.

Yes, something's wrong here. It shouldn't display those options there for the Crop Tool. I'm logging this to be looked at. Thanks for the heads-up.

I downloaded the Affinity Photo beta and just to see what it can do for me in this particular project and while it does offer absolute dimensions without resizing, I'm realizing that also being able to resize it with those dimensions should also be added...as in a checkbox that says "crop and resize."  Should I request that in a different part of the forum?  

Yes, something's wrong here. It shouldn't display those options there for the Crop Tool. I'm logging this to be looked at. Thanks for the heads-up.

No problem.  It's all just growing pains.  No big deal.  I love the fact that someone is finally actually taking a serious stab at Adobe's offerings.  I can't stand the subscription model, and I don't appreciate constantly being forced to buy a new product even though the file doesn't use any new features (E.g. not being able to open a CS5 or CS6 file in CS3).

• Staff

I downloaded the Affinity Photo beta and just to see what it can do for me in this particular project and while it does offer absolute dimensions without resizing, I'm realizing that also being able to resize it with those dimensions should also be added...as in a checkbox that says "crop and resize."  Should I request that in a different part of the forum?  

Yes, feel free to add it to the Feature Requests section.