You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro won't record Edit > Copy

I posted this two days ago and its' scrolled down to Page 4 without a single view so I'm trying again ........  :unsure:

The macro recorder will happily record Edit > Cut and Edit> Paste but won't record Edit > Copy. This seems so illogical I am presuming it must be simple oversight. In which case it might hopefully be simple to cure. I wanted to get this in before your release in the hopes that it is simple enough rectify in time for it. It's a common basic command and not being able to include it in macros is very frustrating. It applies right up to beta 11.

Any chance of looking at this please? I would love to have this working.

• Staff

Hi DavidMac,

The Macro feature will be continued to be improved overtime, at the moment Edit > Copy does work in a Macro but doesn't show in the list. However a possible reason why it's not recorded correctly is because it copies the same object at the time of creating the macro.

For example, open an image and record a macro that consists of Edit > Copy, Edit >Paste now save that macro. Open a different image and apply the macro, the image from when the macro was created is pasted.

Aha ........ got it. In other words the Copy is stored in the macro not as an instruction but as a clipboard content. Presumably this applies to Cut as well?

It's good to know what's going on but it doesn't seem a terribly useful implementation. The macro should really record the instruction rather than the result. Let's hope this changes in due course.

Thanks for the heads up.

David Mac

The macro should really record the instruction rather than the result.

But if it did that, how would it know what to paste, other than whatever is currently on the clipboard? That could be something entirely different from what was there when the macro was recorded. That doesn't sound like it would be very useful to me. Does it to you? :unsure:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well yes .... and no .......  ;)

What I want it to record is the instruction to perform a cut or copy so that when played it performs that function and cuts or copies the current selection at the time of playback .....

That sounds extremely useful to me ......  :)

I have just tried recording this as an action in PS6 and it does exactly what I want. It stores the copy as an instruction and when played back performs the copy on the selection current at playback time.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to make qualitative comparisons - merely confirming that what I want does make sense and is achievable.  :)

• 1 month later...

I completely agree with DavidMac.  We absolutely need the ability to have the macro paste what is CURRENTLY in the clipboard, not what was first copied when the macro was recorded.  

For example, I am trying to automate the process of copying my storyboard frames from a 3 panel per page layout to a 9 panels per page layout.  I began on the 3 panel layout, copying the first panel before switching tabs to my 9 panel layout.   Here is where I started to record the macro by hitting paste, and then proceeded to resize the panel to fit the new smaller frame size, then stopped the recording.  However, I next returned to my 3 panel layout, copied the 2nd panel into the clipboard and then returned to the 9 panel page and tried to play back the macro, but instead of pasting panel 2 it repasted panel 1.  

I tried trashing and re-recording it over again as I thought it was a glitch as I've never had a problem doing this in Photoshop, but unfortunately it continued to happen.  My next stop was these forums and I'm incredibly disappointed to discover it's not a bug but apparently this is how it's intended to work. How sad.

Affinity I truly want to completely ditch Photoshop for good but you're making it entirely too frustrating to do so.  Please get this fixed ASAP, or at least give us the option of playing back what is currently in the clipboard.  Thank you.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, wallachi said:

I noticed my macro was 130mb, I'm assuming everytime you hit copy whilst recording a macro, everything you have copied is actually stored in the macro file!

That's bad, it ideally should only record and replay an order of the performed commands chain.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 3:24 AM, v_kyr said:

That's bad, it ideally should only record and replay an order of the performed commands chain.

Yah, this copy function in the macro is useless. Why would I need the same image from the selection when using a macro? I would have completed the editing when making the macro in the first place. This is the dumbest behavior I've ever seen for a function like this. It should be an entirely different function if you want a macro to store the image that was being edited originally, as it is now, it's just a stamp, not copy selection/paste.

Bearing in mind I posted this in 2016 and nothing has happened since, despite other people expressing the same view, I think we must assume the Affinity team don't agree with us and feel that their implementation is correct and useful.

A pity in my personal view .........

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi!

I was about to create a new thread about this, but since this one has been opened during all this time... I'll try to give it a shot as well. We've been trying to create some performance Macros in the studio and, sadly, the simple copy-paste (from clipboard) feature hasn't been implemented to Macros, even in V2. 

Maybe this is not a priority, but sadly... many useful automations and fancier Macros, could be created if this function was added.

- Enrique

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

26 minutes ago, Frankentoon Studio said:

sadly, the simple copy-paste (from clipboard) feature hasn't been implemented to Macros, even in V2

This topic probably deserves a new thread to keep it visible, instead of letting it languish in the pre-V2 archive.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

This topic probably deserves a new thread to keep it visible, instead of letting it languish in the pre-V2 archive.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I'll post a new thread if that helps. I've been waiting for this feature for ages.

- Cheers, Enrique

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

2 hours ago, Frankentoon Studio said:

- Cheers, Enrique

Good to hear from you, Enrique! :)

Off topic, I see that your location is stated here as Madrid. When did you move from San Salvador?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 3/9/2023 at 9:24 PM, Alfred said:

Good to hear from you, Enrique! :)

Off topic, I see that your location is stated here as Madrid. When did you move from San Salvador?

Thank you! Me and my wife moved to Madrid last year, in July. The rest of the team is still working from San Salvador :)